2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Help a new guy decide between good deal or too good to be true deal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Solved: Help a new guy decide between good deal or too good to be true deal

So I am looking to replace my beat up old mazda protege 5 and I really dig the fit. I would prefer a M/T but I found one that seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

Deal or No Deal?

So is this a good price, great price, or should I stay far away because it is too good of a price? Thanks for any info you can give me, loving all the info I have been reading the past few days of lurking in here.

Last edited by falcon11; 11-19-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:11 PM
I'm guessing the price could be a typo. The other vehicles at the place seem more normally priced.

I might be tempted to go and kick the tires, but keep my eyes wide open and verify things with carfax or similar. I'd also do a little research on the dealership to see if they've a reputation for being unusually slimy.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
At that price I would expect it to be a salvage title. It does seem too good to be true. I think at best your ball park with a 13' manual sport with that mileage would 16-18k.

As DrewE said, its worth going down to the dealership, but it wouldn't surprise me if they "just sold" that fit right before you walked in...but wait they have another 13' fit for 19k...

Old 11-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Thanks, I guess it can't hurt to go check it out. My price range is 10-12k so I may just have to look for higher miles. Maybe something like this one.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:31 AM
That first fit looks oh so clean. it never hurts to look, ask questions. we surely cant answer then nor can we go look.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Seems like too good of a deal IMO, I Picked up my 2013 Fit Sport - no navigation last night and had to really push hard on the dealer to let it go for 14.3k...

The dealer pulled out some sheet that had the closest Fit sports within 500 miles <next closest with the same low miles on the car was 230 miles away.> and they were all in the 16k price range.

I would go test drive it at least, even if you don't plan to buy it its always good to get more time behind the wheel of something you are interested in.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:24 AM
I did a quick Google search on the vin number that was provided and it looks like Mr.Hollow was correct It has a salvage title.

JHMGE8H69DC051054, Sal-Title(Vtr 441) black Honda Fit ...

JHMGE8H69DC051054, Sal-Title(Vtr 441) black Honda Fit at GRAND PRAIRIE, TX on online auction by December 31, 1969 | SalvageBid
Vin – JHMGE8H69DC051054: Bid and win 2013 HONDA FIT 4 Cyl for sale at GRAND PRAIRIE, TX by December 31, 1969. Bid and win clean and salvage titled ..

Old 11-19-2014, 06:38 PM
hmm guess I should steer clear of a salvage title it would just be nice to get into such a sweet looking car with low miles for that price, but I don't know what kind of headaches it might cause down the road.

The search continues.

Edit: What are your thoughts on buying a salvage car? Let's say I offered them 8,500 for it and they took it would you do something like that for such a cheap price or should I just avoid a salvage/rebuilt title at all costs?

Last edited by falcon11; 11-19-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by falcon11
Edit: What are your thoughts on buying a salvage car? Let's say I offered them 8,500 for it and they took it would you do something like that for such a cheap price or should I just avoid a salvage/rebuilt title at all costs?
It depends on the details of the situation IMHO. A salvage title may mean any of a number of different things. One possibility certainly is that the car was in a collision or flood or some such disaster and has been rebuilt, in which case you're at the mercy of the skill and thoroughness of the rebuilder. Some are competent and professional and end up with a safe, reliable car. Others are not.

In some states, a salvage title can also result from the car having been stolen and later recovered (after the insurance deemed it a total loss and paid out for it), and in that case it is possible that there may be nothing at all mechanically wrong with the car. There might be other circumstances as well that would result in a salvage title without an accident.

A salvage title will of course reduce the resale value of the car if you go to sell it. If you plan on holding on to it for a long time, that's not so much of a concern; it matters much less on a $500 or $1000 car.

I don't know whether or not the Honda factory warranty would apply to a car with a salvage title.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info, I called them and it was in some sort of front end collision that resulted in the salvage title. I am going to check it out and ask for an itemized list of the repairs they did to get it rebuilt. Depending on the extent I may take it to get it looked at by a third party, I am not getting my hopes up on it all checking out well though.

Guess I will have to live with an older one with more miles possibly.

Well not looking into it anymore after seeing these pics, thanks for all the help.

Seems like the poor thing got totaled before it was ever even purchased.

Last edited by falcon11; 11-19-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:11 AM
I kept an eye on cars.com for any deals that popped up.
Also I talked to the local honda dealership they have a huge network of used cars and for a fairly low price they can have the car you are looking for shipped in.
I told the salesman specifically what I was looking for and he was on the hunt..

The day after I purchased mine from another dealership I was called and told they found 15 cars that were in my price range and met my required specs.

Hopefully that will help

Old 11-21-2014, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by SirPennywise
I kept an eye on cars.com for any deals that popped up.
Also I talked to the local honda dealership they have a huge network of used cars and for a fairly low price they can have the car you are looking for shipped in.
I told the salesman specifically what I was looking for and he was on the hunt..

The day after I purchased mine from another dealership I was called and told they found 15 cars that were in my price range and met my required specs.

Hopefully that will help
Thanks that is great advice. I was heading to the dealer to look at one tomorrow but now it looks like it already sold. Maybe I will still go look around and talk to them about what I am looking for.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Just bought an '08 to replace the one I totaled. Not many for sale In Western PA! Almost bought one at a dealership, 72,000 miles, crappy brakes and full of dog hair. Ended up buying one 1 day later on Craigslist. 39,000 miles, clean, no dog hair, no inflated dealer prices. The Fit has mystical powers. The right one will call to you if you believe.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SirPennywise
Seems like too good of a deal IMO, I Picked up my 2013 Fit Sport - no navigation last night and had to really push hard on the dealer to let it go for 14.3k...

The dealer pulled out some sheet that had the closest Fit sports within 500 miles <next closest with the same low miles on the car was 230 miles away.> and they were all in the 16k price range.

I would go test drive it at least, even if you don't plan to buy it its always good to get more time behind the wheel of something you are interested in.
I also bought a white fit sport no nav this summer for a LOT more than 14.3k...

Although I know everything in california is way more expensive than say in Kentucky, and finding a taffeta white sport was extremely hard...so I guess I can sleep with the price I paid. But in hindsight i could have looked around more.