2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to replace my clutch... again. Suggestions for parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Time to replace my clutch... again. Suggestions for parts?

I bought my 09 base model brand new, and I've already had the clutch replaced twice by the dealership. Both previous clutch failures were due to the disc dropping a hub spring.

Now, it's starting to act up. I'm noticing slight slippage, especially when cold. I've heard a rattling noise from time to time that I noticed the other times the clutch failed. Today, it was noticeably difficult to get it in and out of gear at times, unless I revved the engine a bit.

I'm sick of paying $1500 a pop at the dealership. I've changed clutches before on older Hondas (did the H22A in my 92 Accord twice already), so I'm not totally new at it... but it's been a while. I'm not planning on keeping the Fit much longer, so I don't need OEM quality (if you can call it that...) but I do drive the car for work, so I need something that will hold up fairly well.

I've found an Exedy kit on Rockauto for a good price, but I can't seem to find a flywheel anywhere but Honda ($171 at Majestic Honda). Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Looking to keep costs down and do it myself this time.

Also, if anyone has any tips for changing the clutch, it'd be much appreciated! I haven't searched for that yet, so I'm not asking to be spoon fed... but if you care to share, I'd be grateful!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by deevergote
I bought my 09 base model brand new, and I've already had the clutch replaced twice by the dealership. Both previous clutch failures were due to the disc dropping a hub spring.

Now, it's starting to act up. I'm noticing slight slippage, especially when cold. I've heard a rattling noise from time to time that I noticed the other times the clutch failed. Today, it was noticeably difficult to get it in and out of gear at times, unless I revved the engine a bit.

I'm sick of paying $1500 a pop at the dealership. I've changed clutches before on older Hondas (did the H22A in my 92 Accord twice already), so I'm not totally new at it... but it's been a while. I'm not planning on keeping the Fit much longer, so I don't need OEM quality (if you can call it that...) but I do drive the car for work, so I need something that will hold up fairly well.

I've found an Exedy kit on Rockauto for a good price, but I can't seem to find a flywheel anywhere but Honda ($171 at Majestic Honda). Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Looking to keep costs down and do it myself this time.

Also, if anyone has any tips for changing the clutch, it'd be much appreciated! I haven't searched for that yet, so I'm not asking to be spoon fed... but if you care to share, I'd be grateful!
you can get an exedy clutch kit which is oem quality for cheap. Why would you buy a flywheel? that seems stupid. find a machine shop and have it machined. it will cost you 30 bucks maybe 4 tops. heres how you change your clutch on a GD.
1-remove intake and battery spindle nuts and axles using a pry bar. 2-remove all shift linkages and such. 3-remove any sensors. 4-remove master cylander 5-take all the case bolts out with trans supported. 7-remove transmision mount. 8- drop tranny 9-take off pressure plate and old clutch. 10- remove the flywheel 11-get flywheel machined. 12-while flywheel is at the shop clean the bell housing out and replace the throw out bearing and clean your splines and lubricate the inside of the throw out bearing as well as said splines. 13-swap out the pilot bearing (use the bread trick don't fuck with the bearing puller) 14-swap out your rear main seal 15- reinstall everything hand tight in a star pattern and torque back to spec and use your pilot alignment tool. 16-wiggle the transmission back up to the engine aligning with the dowels that are in the transmission. bolt back up to spec and reinstall everything. if any of this sounds foreign or hard youtube it. its not a hard job its just a time consuming one.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Awesome. Thanks! Seems pretty much the same procedure as on the H22A. That's good to know.

The only reason I'm looking to do the flywheel is because it needed to be replaced the last two times, according to the dealership. When the clutch dropped a spring, it did a number on the flywheel both times. Maybe I'll get lucky this time.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Just wondering.....how many miles does your car have on it? I have a 09 as well. It has 114k on the factory clutch. It seems fine so far, but I have been wondering how much longer it should last....

Edit: I just saw your avatar.... Does you car really have 360k on it?!?!

Old 02-13-2015, 08:57 PM
It's at 379,000 now. That's a little dated!

My first clutch lasted until about 188,000 before it dropped a hub spring. The next one (stock replacement, ordered from and installed by the dealership) lasted about another 80,000. So this current clutch has barely 120,000 on it.
My first clutch had plenty of friction material left, even after 188,000. Had it not dropped the spring and trashed everything, I don't doubt that I could've easily gotten another 50,000 out of it, if not more.

It sucks when the factory parts seem faulty, but nobody has enough miles on them to make it a known problem!

Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Amazing! Well I plan on driving mine for awhile longer, but by the time I get to over 200k of data, your Fit will probably be long gone...either that or you will be in the 600k club

Old 02-13-2015, 10:58 PM
With any luck, I'll be out of mine in a few months. I got it because I drive a lot for work, and it has served me well... but it's getting to the point where major things are going to start going wrong. It's been hit plenty of times, so it's not pretty... it's time to move on!
It's been a great car, though. Aside from the clutch issues, a broken shift mechanism, 2 dead AC compressors, 2 dead blower motors, a malfunctioning CD player, and blown front shocks (ok, that's expected after so many miles...) it's treated me well. The engine hasn't given me a single problem.