2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Question about keyless remote conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Question about keyless remote conversion

Hello all, first time poster here from the Pacific NW. My 2009 base Fit developed a driver side door lock problem about a month ago, and I gather from a few of the threads here that it's possible to convert to a keyless remote, which I'd like to have anyway.

But after reading through those threads, I'm not always sure what exactly is being recommended. So, to be specific about my situation, my base 2009 Fit has three door locks--driver, passenger and hatch. They're "power" locks, I assume, since the key in the driver side lock (when I could still get it all the way in) would operate all the other locks. Questions:

1) Does my Fit already have installed a receiver for a keyless remote?

2) If so, do I simply order a remote key, cut off the blank metal part, program the key to my Fit's pre-installed receiver, and use the remaining fob as my remote?

3) I'll want two remote fobs, so what's the best and least expensive route to go?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Looking thru the catalog the keyless/immobilizer receiver is the same for sport and base models. You might be able to program a sport key to your car and have that work. Those run around 50 bucks plus the programming from the dealer.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
I did this when I first got my '09 base Fit, works fine. You can buy the actual remote key online for around $30-$40 (dealer gets over $100 for this!!!!). You will need to go to the dealer to have it cut and programmed for your Fit, key shops cannot do this.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:46 AM
I have my second Fit. 2009 Base.

I had an old fob from the first Fit and followed the instructions someone so kindly shared on a related thread to program it, to hopefully add keyless entry to my 2009, (hoping to solve a "key wont go in the door lock" problem) to no avail. After picking the brain of a genius locksmith here's my report on whether or not this will work.

Two thoughts:
first, make sure the battery is good (AKA red light goes on when you hit a button),
second, pop open that fob. If there is only a black box inside, then you can't reprogram it without finding someone who has a computer that does it. If there is a tiny "pill" on the left near where the metal part of the key extends, then you are good to go and do it yourself. He explained that the existence of this "magic pill" this all depends, not on what year or base/sport option, but on what factory your car was made in. Living in Hawai'i we get cars from everywhere.

You can actually get a remote key fob and remove the key part as some here have suggested, or replace the old metal key with a new one if you need. Using old keys kills the lock mechanism, as I explained on another thread..
Hope that helps. Happy driving.