2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Keyless Entry on Base Model

Old 03-06-2009, 07:12 PM

I did some searching on the subject of adding keyless entry to the base model, but I couldn't find the answer to this question.

I am looking at what is labeled as Keyless Entry at the following link for $108.
Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine 2009 Honda Fit Accessories Shipped at Discount Prices

The instructions show only stuff about programming the key remote and not actual hardware installation. I know you have to get the key remote programmed and cut at the dealer. But is there any hardware to install or is it $108 just for the key remote? Do I only need the remote because the rest is already in the car?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member

I just did this on my 09 base. You do not need the $108 kit because there is no hardware to be installed. I bought two of the replacement remote keys for the sport model for $39.95 each from College hills and had my local Honda dealership cut and program them for me. The service guy was real cool and didn't even charge me to do it so it only cost me about $90 total to get keyless.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 PM
So, with the 2009, the transponders/keys just need to be cut and programmed?

This means that the "kit" is only a new pair of keys?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Old 03-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by fzjim
I just did this on my 09 base. You do not need the $108 kit because there is no hardware to be installed. I bought two of the replacement remote keys for the sport model for $39.95 each from College hills and had my local Honda dealership cut and program them for me. The service guy was real cool and didn't even charge me to do it so it only cost me about $90 total to get keyless.
That is great info! Do you have a part number for the replacement keys? I checked the College Hills Honda site and they don't even have 2009 listed as an option for parts, just accessories.

Last edited by FireFox91; 03-08-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, the the "kit" is just a spare key. I just found my receipt and the part number is 35111-SWA-306. I hope this helps.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Can you give us the name of the dealership and who you were dealing with? Maybe he will be willing to take our orders over the phone and send (mail) us two programed keys. He could use the Vin Number to program and cut them.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Yes, the the "kit" is just a spare key. I just found my receipt and the part number is 35111-SWA-306. I hope this helps.
You are the MAN! Thank you! Repped!

Here is something I found interesting...
eBay Motors: 2008 2009 08 09 HONDA FIT KEY KEYLESS REMOTE ENTRY FOB (item 370158820847 end time Mar-14-09 13:14:01 PDT)

Looks to be our key and it is the same price. But they tell you how to program the keyless entry part yourself. Is this something you can do yourself? If so, I could avoid going to the dealer all together. I prefer to have the keyfob separate from the key. If this is true, I could just get this for the remote (cutting the blade off) and use my regular key now.

Update...
More searching came up with some more information. FYI, you can't search for the word "key" in this forum. It's too short which makes it harder to find this stuff. Anyway, Mugen Don posted the following information last year. I think this should still apply to the 2009 Fits but I am not sure. Can anyone confirm?

PROGRAMMING THE REMOTE TRANSMITTER (KEYFOB):

NOTE: It is important to maintain the time limits between the steps. Make sure the doors, the hood and the hatch are closed.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II)
2. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock button.
3. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

4. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
5. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock button.
6. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

7. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
8. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock button.
9. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

10. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
11. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock button.
12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators within 1 to 4 seconds, then push the transmitter lock button again, or the code will not be stored.

13. Within 10 seconds, press the transmitter lock button on any other fob you wish to program. Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.

14. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the key.

15. Confirm proper operation with the transmitters.

Last edited by FireFox91; 03-08-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:01 AM
In case anyone is interested, it's the same remote/key as the 2007 CR-V, which should make finding it a bit easier.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
I went to Oakland Honda and they need to hook up your car to their computer to program the chip embedded in the key to your car. So I don't think this is something you could do without bringing your car in. I did, however, watch the guy program the actual keyfob to open up the doors. From what I remember, he held down the door open button on the remote and turned the ignition to the run position twice. You could then just cut the key part off and use it as a seperate fob.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:09 AM
I did, however, watch the guy program the actual keyfob to open up the doors. From what I remember, he held down the door open button on the remote and turned the ignition to the run position twice. You could then just cut the key part off and use it as a seperate fob.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I just want the keyfob to open the doors remotely. I don't need another key to start the car because I already have 2. And I prefer to have the remote separate from the key anyway.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
I went to Oakland Honda and they need to hook up your car to their computer to program the chip embedded in the key to your car. So I don't think this is something you could do without bringing your car in. I did, however, watch the guy program the actual keyfob to open up the doors. From what I remember, he held down the door open button on the remote and turned the ignition to the run position twice. You could then just cut the key part off and use it as a seperate fob.
Could you please provide us with a name and number of whom you were dealing with? I know for a fact that dealers can cut keys so long as we provide them with the vin. Then, when he ships the cut keys, we could just program the keys ourselves so long as he provides directions for the proper procedure.

It shouldn't be a big deal and I am sure that the dealership parts department would be thankful for all the new business especially given this economy.

Thank you for doing all this leg work for us GE8 Basics. All we need now is the name and number.

Thanks bud.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Dude, why not just go to YOUR dealership and get the key cut and programmed there? Be sure to tell them that all you need is the immobilizer programmed. It takes a couple minutes is all.

The dealership I bought my car from said they'd cut two keys and program them for $50.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awptickes
Dude, why not just go to YOUR dealership and get the key cut and programmed there? Be sure to tell them that all you need is the immobilizer programmed. It takes a couple minutes is all.

The dealership I bought my car from said they'd cut two keys and program them for $50.
Trust me, I like doing things the easy way. My selling dealer, believe it or not, told me at the time of the sale that it would cost $120 just for an extra (Base Fit) Key. I can only imagine the price for 2 cut and programmed Sport Fit keys.

Also, Dude, I think you know that some of us have dealers who try to rip us off every chance they get and it's a hassle dealing with them. I didn't think that it would be a problem to help fellow members here save the headache and BS from these dealers by simply giving them some contact info. I apologies if I am wrong in that assumption.

Last edited by Shora; 03-09-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Shora, as much as I would like to help out fellow FitFreakers, I'm concerned about getting my service guy in trouble for basically providing a service to me he should have charged me for. It would not be a good way to repay his kindness. I hope you understand.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Shora, as much as I would like to help out fellow FitFreakers, I'm concerned about getting my service guy in trouble for basically providing a service to me he should have charged me for. It would not be a good way to repay his kindness. I hope you understand.

I understand. No problem.

However, I was thinking it would be just the opposite.

1) Dealership would happy because it is selling more keys. Even though the price is less the MSRP, they are smart enough to know that "some" money is better than no money.

2) You are happy 1) for helping us out 2) because the dealer now recognizes that you brought them all this additional business. My dealer always thanks me whenever I send business their way and at times they have even paid me for it.

3) We FitFreak members (with Base Fits) are happy because we don't have to fight with "our" dealers for this great deal.

Again, I am a business owner and think that you might be suprised if you just "ask" your contact what "he" thinks about selling us the keys for the same or similar price as he did for you. The worst that can happen is that he explains that it was a one time deal for you. Doesn't sound so bad to me and it will still make you look good for "trying" to give him more business.

Again, I thank you for all your help in this.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
I doubt it's legitimate to be able to program a new set of keys just by providing a VIN number, think of all the car thieves out there who would be able to do this. I'm interested in getting a remote entry for my base too, if it's cheap enough. I wouldn't mind getting a fob and then go to my dealer to ask them to program it for my car. Should be simple enough.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I went to the dealership tonight to price out getting keys cut/programmed, and the keyless entry programmed, and it's going to cost $150 for my current keys, and the two remote/key combos. I dunno. I'm going to have to think about it.

Shora: Sorry for jumping on your ass about going to your dealership. These guys can stuff it if they think I'm going to pay $150 just for them to program the immobilizer and spend 2 minutes cutting the keys. ESPECIALLY WHEN I BRING THEM THE KEYS.

Although, I was talking with the head of the maintenance department, I'll have to check with an underling sometime soon.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I have seen some posts about locksmiths who have the equipment to program the chips on the keys. For $150, I think it would be worth calling around to see if you can find one of those guys.

But yeah, the dealership is capitalizing on their monopoly of the chip programming. $150 is beyond ridiculous.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awptickes
Shora: Sorry for jumping on your ass about going to your dealership. These guys can stuff it if they think I'm going to pay $150 just for them to program the immobilizer and spend 2 minutes cutting the keys. ESPECIALLY WHEN I BRING THEM THE KEYS.
I told you! See why I got happy when one of us FitFreakers had someone with normal prices? If College Hills Honda can sell a Key for $39.99 why can't our dealers? We already bought car(s) from them (spent big money with them) and College Hills gives us the best prices even though we generally spend only small money at a time with them.

Originally Posted by FireFox91
I have seen some posts about locksmiths who have the equipment to program the chips on the keys. For $150, I think it would be worth calling around to see if you can find one of those guys.

But yeah, the dealership is capitalizing on their monopoly of the chip programming. $150 is beyond ridiculous.
I own a Security Company and am also a licensed locksmith. There are machines that can program the chips for almost any car (however, the machines to program the German cars are so expansive and requests for them are so few and far between that most LS shops don't carry them).

The machines for the Hondas are MUCH more common among LS shops. I didn't go and ask any of my friends in the business about it because I always assumed we need "more than just the keys".

Also, Honda has a way to program additional keys without any machines. There is a way to do it just with 2 working keys and doing some combination with turning the key to the "on" and "run" position.

I'm new to Hondas and have yet to make the right friends in the right places, but I have programmed keys with immobilizer chips myself in my other cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless Entry on Base Model