2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry on Base Model

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
just got the keyless entry and the new key cut at my dealership. Trust me this is the only thing I went to them for. They are a bunch of crooks. I bought the key from collegehills honda for 108. I made an appointment at my local dealer in Queens NY. First they said the car did not do keyless entry. I had to buy the sport model. Anyway, after getting passed around, then they gave me more of a hard time about a 330 pm appointment. I can not take days off work and they do not open on weekends. Anyway finally got the appointment today. Yes they ripped me off once again. 98 bucks plus tax. 106 dollars total. but I now have keyless entry and a new key. There is nothing to install at all. just a hook up to the car's computer, program the chip and cut the key. that is all.

Rene.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I just got my keyless entry today as well! I had a different experience though. I ordered the keys from College Hills Honda from the parts catalog (Part# 35111-SWA-306) rather than the accessory catalog. Same item but MUCH cheaper. The key from the parts catalog is $40 vs. $108 from the accessories. So, I got 2.

I followed the instructions I found on this forum and re-posted in this thread for programming the remotes. It worked the first time flawlessly. I then got out my Dremel tool and used the cutoff disc to cut off the blade of the key. I then sanded it down with the sanding drum tool, also for the Dremel. So now I have 2 key and remote sets for my car for only $80. They aren't all in one like what comes with the sport model, but it beats the hell out of giving the dealership more of my money.

Special thanks to fzjim for the part number of the key. You rock dude!

Name:  Mar2009013.jpg
Views: 3789
Size:  55.7 KB

Last edited by FireFox91; 10-16-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 PM
I just got my keys tonight from college hills honda. I'll go to the dealership tomorrow and see how much they want to cut them. I have a feeling that I can get them cut for quite a bit less than the original quote if I wait until the first oil change, but I'm impatient.

We'll see.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM
I got the keys cut today. They wanted $95 locally, and the same anywhere else, so I decided to bite the bullet.

I think they messed up one of my original keys, because now I have one key with the pretty silver Honda emblem, and one that's just cast in plastic. Oh well. I have 4 keys, two of which are remotes.

Here's the invoices:

Local Dealership:
HTML Code:
A CUT CUST SUPPLIED KEYS AND PROGRAM ALL KEYS
     KEY CUSTOMER REQUEST TO MAKE EXTRA KEY
               1962   CH          95.00
PARTS: 0.00    LABOR: 95.00    OTHER: 0.00     TOTAL LINE A: 95.00

888 1.0 PROGRAMMED 2 CUST SUPPLIED KEYS
CUSTOMER PAY SUPPLIES/MATERIA FOR REPAIR ORDER           11.40

LABOR AMOUNT: 95.00
MISC. CHARGES: 11.40
TOTAL CHARGES: 106.40
SALES TAX: 0.68
PLEASE PAY THIS AMOUNT: 107.08
College Hills Honda
HTML Code:
2     35111-SWA-306      39.30          78.60
Parts: 78.60
Freight: 11.87
Total: 90.47

In total, $197.55, which is cheaper than having them install the "keyless entry" option.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I just can't accept them charging 95 freeking dollars to cut a key and fiddle with a computer to program the chip. That is insane and I refuse to pay that. Fortunately I found I way around that to still get my keyless entry option.

And I did find a locksmith local to me that programs the chips in keys. They said they would supply a key (non-remote type) that was cut and programmed for $50. That is a pretty good deal to me. I will be seeing them to get a spare key for my Nissan Altima.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Just bumping this post and letting everyone know that another of another success story with a base GE08 Fit. Ordered two keys from HondaPartsNow and then followed the instructions on the first page. I was a little nervous about flipping the car on-and-off so quickly but everything worked fine. It took longer to read the instructions than to program them.

Now I just have to decide if I want to spend the money to have the dealer cut them and program the immobilizer or cut the blank part off and use it as a fob like FireFox91 did.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
I also had success. But instead of cutting the metal off, I pried open the plastic cover and used a soldering iron to melt around the metal key and pull it off. So now there's a hole and it looks a little messy with the melted plastic, but I thought it was easier & safer than trying to saw the metal off. I use a twisty tie to tie the two parts together since the original screw won't work with the melted plastic.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whyzor
I also had success. But instead of cutting the metal off, I pried open the plastic cover and used a soldering iron to melt around the metal key and pull it off. So now there's a hole and it looks a little messy with the melted plastic, but I thought it was easier & safer than trying to saw the metal off. I use a twisty tie to tie the two parts together since the original screw won't work with the melted plastic.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Has anyone seen a cheaper keyless remote/key (p/n 35111-swa-306) than $55? Couldn't find the one sold at College Hills.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Why arn't you guys going for a security system install? Most of them seem to have keyless entry. Base fit doesn't come with a security system, so it would seem to make sense to spend a little more to get keyless entry + security.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by southbound
Has anyone seen a cheaper keyless remote/key (p/n 35111-swa-306) than $55? Couldn't find the one sold at College Hills.
I got one on ebay for $21 shipped.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I paid like $36/ea for mine

Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
does base have hardware for immobilizer?

Does anyone know if the base '09 fit has the immobilizer built in but not turned on? I.E. - Is it something the dealer can activate with programming? I mostly want to add remote entry but wondered if I ought to consider immobilizer too. Thanks

Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned
I believe the immobilizer is what needs to be programed by the dealer for the key to work with the car. All the keys have the immobilizer chip in them. That's why you can't just get a key cut and use it.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Theoretically the base does not have the immobilizer, which is why it comes without a transponder key. At least, that is what I thought! I have read of others just getting the transponder key and using them with their Base without getting the immobilizer chip programmed at the dealer...

Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Well Chad, looks like you are right about the base having an immobilizer. Found it on Honda's site. The other folk were cutting the key off the transponder and using it for keyless entry only, so the chip didn't need to be programmed for their car. Think I will go that route. Learned something new about my Fit today. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Banned
Glad you looked it up as I wasn't sure. Just assumed that was the deal.

Also if you know somebody at the dealership they can cut/program those keys pretty cheap if they want to. I was talking to my salesman last night and he said just give him a call and he can sneak my car in for a key cut and program for 10 or 20 bucks.

He also told me they sold a base Fit with no extra key. Since they didn't have any base blanks they gave the customer the remote key and cut and programmed it for free. I'll probably give him a call next week.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Wait..

I just bought a 09 Base fit, and it came with a keyless entry key.

Was I not supposed to get it? I didnt pay extra. The dealer just gave it to me.

My Fit came with 2 other keys also.

Last edited by Rigaman; 08-18-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
I know the 09 base fit has immobilizer AND keyless entry. The keyless entry just needs to be programmed with a remote. Immobilizer is a short range chip that doesn't use batteries in your key that is paired with the encryption key of your system. It's separate from the remote entry transmitter on a sport key. the immobilizer takes a lot less space than remote entry, which is why it's embedded in all 09+ Fit keys. Not sure about 08 and before though.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:28 PM
why need to cut metal part after programming the fob

You guys have amazing collective knowledge on this forum. I plan to buy the Fit Base, then separately buy the blank Fit Sport key and follow the programming step posted here (turn ON, press lock button, turn OFF, repeat 4 times, with 2-4 seconds between each step). No need to go to the dealers for them to hook up any computer, right?

Also, why do you cut off the metal key part after you successfully program the key fob to lock/unlock the car doors? Is it just to save space in your pocket? Or is it because the metal part contains immobilizing piece that does not allow your car to start?
If just for space, and the metal part won't harm anything, then I'd rather leave the metal part attached just to not have to go throught the trouble of cutting it or melting the plastic part Please advise. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry on Base Model