2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I leave my spare tire at home?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Should I leave my spare tire at home?

Home to work is around 3.5 miles and since I have a tire sealant kit, should I just leave my spare tire at home for the mileage? When I have long road trips I will put the spare back in.

Just wondering if the spare tire weight serves any purpose and whether the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks!

Old 10-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
You could shed a few pounds if you take out the spare-- I know a lot who keep it out. Almost everyone who's running air suspension on a Fit removes it to make room for the tank haha.

I say if you're cool with the sealant kit for regular days, go for it. I feel I don't need mine either because I don't think I'd be able to put the scissor jack under my car anymore-- but I have no place to dump the spare in case I ever need it lol.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Burzpaw
You could shed a few pounds if you take out the spare-- I know a lot who keep it out. Almost everyone who's running air suspension on a Fit removes it to make room for the tank haha.

I say if you're cool with the sealant kit for regular days, go for it. I feel I don't need mine either because I don't think I'd be able to put the scissor jack under my car anymore-- but I have no place to dump the spare in case I ever need it lol.
So the weight doesn't really serve a purpose? Are air suspensions standard on Fits and should I still take the spare out if I don't have it?

Old 10-14-2015, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
I don't see why it would serve any purpose. The Fit can hold its own without-- what is it, 15lbs? Just guessing haha. I know some who are after weight reduction and take out the rear seats, spare, and a lot of the interior panels to be lighter. Taking out the rear seats makes a bigger diff than the spare-- I believe the rear seats are near 100lbs.

And sorry for confusing you. Air suspension is aftermarket; I was just saying that losing the spare isn't a big deal, especially if you have an alternative way for tire emergencies.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:31 AM
As part of a systematic methodology for reducing weight, the weight of the spare is significant. If all you're doing is removing the spare though, you will not see any noticeable gains for your commute. The only real difference will be in the inconvenience of taking it out and putting it back in every time you want to take a longer drive. Another down side is that I believe tire sealant typically scraps out your TPMS sensor, where as a car driven in on the spare can often have the tire plugged and put back into service.

That being said, I never had a spare in my old Miata...But that was simply because doing so freed up significant trunk space.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't leave it behind, but that's me. Instead, I'd get rid of the sealant and the inflator thingy (assuming you have the typical Honda kit). It's not as big a weight savings, but it is something, and you don't need to put it back in for longer trips or anything.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
keep in mind that the spare supports the cargo floormat. you will get a lot of permanent sagging without that tire there if you keep things in your trunk.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 PM
3.5 mile commute? You're getting bad gas mileage no matter what with that short of a distance due to the engine not being at temperature efficiency. Taking the spare out isn't going to accomplish much with mpg's. Plus you might forget to put the spare back in on the longer commutes. Seems like adding a lot of complication to your life all for nothing.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Canadian Automatics don't come with a spare, we get Honda's tire kit thingy. Comes with foam to spray into the tire, and a compressor for inflating the tire. Oh, and to hold the cargo floor up, we get a nice foam tray. If you've got the tire repair kit, you'd probably be fine without your spare, but I'd rather have the spare tire.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:43 PM
The problem with just an inflator kit is that it's useless if you have a sidewall tear, or if you end up with wheel damage whereby no amount of sealant is going to help. You then have to get towed to a service facility and pay a whole lot of money to get a new wheel right away, plus I guarantee you'll have spent half the day before the new wheel and tire gets mounted with you on your merry way. While if you had a spare to begin with, you'd have loss half hour, tops, of your day, and can order a new wheel by hunting for the best price at your leisure.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 AM
I'd NEVER leave the spare behind!! A few years back I had a major tire failure 60+ miles from home on I95 just below Fredericksburg late Sunday night! (dark desolate interstate with occasional cars roaring by at overly fast speeds and no shoulder to speak of). Too risky a road to change the tire - the fix-a-flat stuff was mostly useless!
I slowly drove about a mile to an exit and a gas station where a kind military guy changed the spare out for us. I could have done it, but he was very nice and being heroic and who was I to argue with his chivalry?
But with no spare!!??
Anyway, I'd pull the spare and tools out at a Track day event,
or for Autocross - but that's abut it.
I get better gas mileage gain babying the gas pedal!

Old 11-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by thewebgal
I'd NEVER leave the spare behind!! A few years back I had a major tire failure 60+ miles from home on I95 just below Fredericksburg late Sunday night! (dark desolate interstate with occasional cars roaring by at overly fast speeds and no shoulder to speak of). Too risky a road to change the tire - the fix-a-flat stuff was mostly useless!
I slowly drove about a mile to an exit and a gas station where a kind military guy changed the spare out for us. I could have done it, but he was very nice and being heroic and who was I to argue with his chivalry?
But with no spare!!??
Anyway, I'd pull the spare and tools out at a Track day event,
or for Autocross - but that's abut it.
I get better gas mileage gain babying the gas pedal!
I second this post.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gorilla
The problem with just an inflator kit is that it's useless if you have a sidewall tear, or if you end up with wheel damage whereby no amount of sealant is going to help. You then have to get towed to a service facility and pay a whole lot of money to get a new wheel right away, plus I guarantee you'll have spent half the day before the new wheel and tire gets mounted with you on your merry way. While if you had a spare to begin with, you'd have loss half hour, tops, of your day, and can order a new wheel by hunting for the best price at your leisure.
Or you can do it ghetto style and keep the spare on and just get another spare... Until all 4 wheels are spares can't tell you how many cars I used to see in Tallahassee running more than one spare LOL (PS if you don't understand sarcasm, don't do this! It's actually dangerous)

Like another poster said, you are getting crap mileage anyway with a short commute. Without the spare you might eek out another .5 mpg more for a total yearly savings of what, like 50$? If you get a flat tire and don't have triple A then all those savings and more will go down the crapper in towing fees!

I'd consider removing the seats before the spare.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
I'd just bike to work if I had a 3.5 mile commute.

That said...it is only a 3.5 mile commute, a flat wouldn't be the big deal it would be on a 200 mile drive.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nogoengr
Home to work is around 3.5 miles and since I have a tire sealant kit, should I just leave my spare tire at home for the mileage? When I have long road trips I will put the spare back in.

Just wondering if the spare tire weight serves any purpose and whether the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks!
once you tire sealant a tire u have to toss it out.. per wat tire store told me.

keep your spare in the car. a nail puncture is hardly a reason to toss an otherwise good tire.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:52 AM
Regardless whether I do long road trips or not, I always keep the spare in my car.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by thewebgal
I'd NEVER leave the spare behind!!
Agreed. Don't forget Murphy's Law, once you leave the spare at home, you'll blow out a tire (or two) and be totally screwed.
You'll improve your gas mileage more by changing your driving habits.