2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My shifter has lost its tight feel, and feels like it doesn't lock into place anymore

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
My shifter has lost its tight feel, and feels like it doesn't lock into place anymore

Does anyone have a solution to this? I used to love it when my car just goes into gear and the shifter feels like it just locks into place, but now it feels like i have to kinda slam it, and it feels like it takes longer for it to fall into gear as well... is there something wrong with my transmission? or is it just the shifter? and is there something i can do to fix it? It also only does it in second gear! every other gear feels great.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
A few possibilities come to mind:

1. Second gear synchros are shot.

2. Linkage issue.

3. Worn bushing preventing the gear from engaging fully.

Hard to diagnose from a distance, but those are my best guesses. Unless you're comfortable taking this apart, I'd recommend someone else have a look.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:40 PM
1st gear ---> into 2nd gear at higher RPM's can be very rough for a manual gearbox, resist the temptation for 0-60 red light battles if you want your little gearbox to last.

I had to replace the gearbox in my 1990 BMW 325i because the 2nd gear synchro was done for and the car 9/10 times didn't want to go into 2nd gear. Luckily I found a used second hand replacement for $120, replaced the fluid and spent 5 hours under the car and it was back on the road. Hopefully it isn't your case and especially shouldn't be with a lower mileage car imo.

Shifter play is a good reason to get a revo short shifter if that's your kind of thing. You could try replacing the gearbox fluid, I've heard it helps. best of luck OP!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
i mean.. i got about 80k miles now.. and i redline the car.... maybe everyday?.... atleast 5 times a day? and 2nd gear might be one of the gears i redline as well all of the time.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
there is something seriously wrong with my honda! i barely made it home today, it won't go into gear anymore, like i can only use 2nd gear. and 4th gear.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
there is something seriously wrong with my honda! i barely made it home today, it won't go into gear anymore, like i can only use 2nd gear. and 4th gear.
Hmmm, might be time for adjusting the clutch, or possibly replacing same. Could even be as simple as low clutch fluid preventing the clutch from releasing enough to let you shift gears easily.

If it is low fluid, you may need to bleed the system to get rid of any air now in the lines. Then figure out why you're losing fluid in the first place!

Old 02-12-2016, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 4thCornerFit
Hmmm, might be time for adjusting the clutch, or possibly replacing same. Could even be as simple as low clutch fluid preventing the clutch from releasing enough to let you shift gears easily.

If it is low fluid, you may need to bleed the system to get rid of any air now in the lines. Then figure out why you're losing fluid in the first place!
the shifter it self feels loose, are those things adjustable? I know it has cables, but i wasn't sure exactly what i was looking for or what to do.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
ok going with cheapest first.... check the shift cable right? and look at the bushings?