2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Suspension without breaking the bank.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Best Suspension without breaking the bank.

Since spring is around the corner, I'm thinking about lowering The Fit. Nothing too crazy cause it still needs to be winter driven. But enough to make it flush with the top of the tires. I was thinking about some coilovers, or lowering springs? Whats the best kind i can get without making my wallet hate me, but something that's not cheap af! My winter rims are 15" and my summer rims are 16". Will there be any kind of rubbing if i lower it?

Old 02-24-2016, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
I had the same attitude about suspension. Despite warnings about letting cost influence my decision, it was my 1st real car mod so I wasn't looking to break the bank. I ended up getting the megan coilovers. I have had them on for about a year with no issues. If you adjust the damper all the way open the ride isn't much harsher than stock (even with Cleveland pot holes) but they definitely increased handling significantly. The one big issue I found is that they should come with the adjustment extenders but they are a separate part. Without them you will have to remove the plastic cowell to adjust the front damper. Install was easy but I did need a tool to compress the stock springs because the top part is reused. I would recommend having good tires 1st, they will either make suspension worth while or worthless. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:44 PM
I had the same attitude about suspension. Despite warnings about letting cost influence my decision, it was my 1st real car mod so I wasn't looking to break the bank. I ended up getting the megan coilovers. I have had them on for about a year with no issues. If you adjust the damper all the way open the ride isn't much harsher than stock (even with Cleveland pot holes) but they definitely increased handling significantly. The one big issue I found is that they should come with the adjustment extenders but they are a separate part. Without them you will have to remove the plastic cowell to adjust the front damper. Install was easy but I did need a tool to compress the stock springs because the top part is reused. I would recommend having good tires 1st, they will either make suspension worth while or worthless. Good luck.
Nice, Where did you find the Megan coilovers? And the adjustment extenders you can find anywhere? My tires on my summer rims are Nitto NT555's. My winters are your standard michelin's.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Never went back for the extenders and only found those on the megan site. I got mine from proimportuners but I think you can order direct from megan. Mine were just under $1000 shipped.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Ground control and others sell parts by size as well as kits,, they have the same spring adjusters available, its just a threaded aluminum sleeve with a couple rings around it..

I'd just do springs I'm not a coil over fan for the street.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
As much as I am for finding a good deal, suspension parts are not something you want to cheap out on.

The best advice I can give is do it once and do it right, maybe your wallet might be sore for a bit but a year or two down the road it won't have mattered and your overall quality and ride will thank you.

Think big picture, instead of quick fix.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
agreed with Mr Hollow, There is a minimum quality that you want. You don't have to spend bank but go with something reputable and proven. It is not just about ride quality but it is a safety matter. Make sure with planning that you can cover install expenses (or are competent and have access to the tools and can cover the down time), and then you want to make sure you can cover alignment costs (you can eat through a set of tires pretty quickly).