2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Functional coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Functional coilovers

Hey folks! I'm picking up a '10 Fit this weekend and am already on the lookout for suspension upgrades. It's really hard to tell what the build quality of these things is, and coming from most German cars, I have no idea how all these manufacturers stack up from a from vs. function perspective.

I'm coming from a track toy Miata on Flyin' Miata/Koni suspenion bits, and still have an E36 M3 on Konis/HR Sports/Poly bushings. That's kind of my ride quality standard. Firm but with quality dampers that take the harshness out.

The Fit is going to be a DD/autocross replacement for my Miata, so I want it to dance as well as possible. I'm not doing this to make the car look better. I'm not interested in lowering the car much, if at all. An inch, tops.

Priorities are:
1. Maintaining enough height to keep the suspension geometry good and in the winter get through northern michigan winters. Also, I may take the car to a rallycross or two, so there's that.
2. Good damping. This is more important than anything else.
3. Stiff enough spring rates for autocross and HPDE use, biased toward giving me the ability to rotate the car a bit.
4. <$1500

The Bilstein PSS seems like it's a safe bet, but the specs I've seen say it's a 30mm-80mm drop, so can't quite get to stock height. What else is out there that fits the bill and lets me get close to stock height? KW Variants? Buddy Club?

Old 06-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Bilstein for what you're doing.

Koni Yellow/GC is an option too but expensive because the front shocks are custom from Redshift. So that's out of your $1500 budget I think.

One of those two for someone like you I think.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Cool! Kind of what I assumed. Is there some super secret source for the PSS setup? Looks like about $1250 on ebay, but I'd rather buy from someone that supports the community...or save some money.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
RedShift Sport Coilovers - RedShift Motorsports, Inc. - Specializing in the Best Suspension and Performance Products

$1449

Chris from Redshift supports the forum

adjustable dampening

Lowering Spec: 0 to 2.5” Drop.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by paanta
Cool! Kind of what I assumed. Is there some super secret source for the PSS setup? Looks like about $1250 on ebay, but I'd rather buy from someone that supports the community...or save some money.
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...oModClar=Sport

Bilstein only $1,099 at TireRack and that is where I bought them

My Review:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1185733

and they can be adjusted very close to stock height if you want to,
check pictures on my car on the thread above

Old 06-25-2014, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
oh, and TireRack also sponsor this forum too...

Old 06-30-2014, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Ha, kind of a funny coincidence. I have both a Miata and a Fit myself (I find them to be a good compliment!) And since putting Koni Yellow and FM springs on my miata, I have been rather put off by the stock Fit suspention tuning. Which is floppy, harsh (too much compression damping it feels like) and does not control the body well. I am very seriously considering the Redshift Koni coilovers, but am also curious about the Bilsteins....

Does anyone know what spring rates the bilsteins are running? I wouldn't mind going to say, a 300 or 350lb front spring.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:17 PM
They (Bilstien) are progressive springs and the dampers are valved to handle as such i'm sure. If you want to go swapping springs and playing with rates get the Koni since you can adjust the dampers

EDIT: And yes, I agree that the stock Fit dampers have too much compression damping. Mine actually feel better now that they're wearing out if that makes any sense! lol

Old 06-30-2014, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
They (Bilstien) are progressive springs and the dampers are valved to handle as such i'm sure. If you want to go swapping springs and playing with rates get the Koni since you can adjust the dampers

EDIT: And yes, I agree that the stock Fit dampers have too much compression damping. Mine actually feel better now that they're wearing out if that makes any sense! lol
Interesting. I wonder how much stiffer than stock they are though? Or rather how much stiffer than stock they get? Any chance you have gotten to try them out?

And yeah, I can see them getting better as they wear out, it just feels like too much damper for how soft the stock springs are. :/ How many miles kn yours?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:28 PM
100k miles on the factory shocks, lowering springs for the last 50k or so (IIRC)

They're not leaking, but the rear are definitely shot, the fronts feel OK, but softer. Ordering STR.T after I get the brakes taken care of this week.

I rode in a car on the Bilsteins, DoYouFit?'s at autocross, it was totally not harsh in the beat up parking lot and handled great. I was impressed. I'd def. get them if I wanted more adjustability but for me spring and shock is fine.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
100k miles on the factory shocks, lowering springs for the last 50k or so (IIRC)

They're not leaking, but the rear are definitely shot, the fronts feel OK, but softer. Ordering STR.T after I get the brakes taken care of this week.

I rode in a car on the Bilsteins, DoYouFit?'s at autocross, it was totally not harsh in the beat up parking lot and handled great. I was impressed. I'd def. get them if I wanted more adjustability but for me spring and shock is fine.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by DoYouFit?
Beast mode driving! much fast, very wow

See you Sunday lol

Old 07-01-2014, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DoYouFit?
Any chance you have a review of how they are for daily? Do they fix the unsetled feeling when hitting a bump mid corner? Mine is so slow on transitions, it kind of wallows around for a while before finnaly taking a set for the corners.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Beast mode driving! much fast, very wow

See you Sunday lol
lol

Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
Any chance you have a review of how they are for daily? Do they fix the unsetled feeling when hitting a bump mid corner? Mine is so slow on transitions, it kind of wallows around for a while before finnaly taking a set for the corners.
They are great for daily. Has a euro feel which is nice and taut. The shock is a monotube so at low speeds you feel all the bumps on the road. At higher speeds it's stable and again, more of the euro feel. In regards to the rebound after hitting bumps or cornerning and hitting a bump, it settles quickly and doesn't bounce around. Bilstein did R&D in real world and track (at the 'Ring) settings so it's legit. Feel free to check out my youtube channel in the sig below, I have autox and windy road vids.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:32 PM
Dil
If you're looking for a functional setup your best bet is to contact Chris at Redshift Motorsports.

I was in the same predicament you were in and decided to go with him months ago.

You're really limited to what you can go with and honestly you can't beat Koni suspension...