2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

fixed airbag, now window doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:36 PM
fixed airbag, now window doesn't work

My 2012 Fit had the drivers airbag fixed 3 days ago.
Today, for the first time since the airbag fix, I tried to open the rear passenger window and it will not open from either the drivers master switch or the switch on the rear passenger door. (Also the drivers rear initially wouldn't open, but after pushing the switch up and down a few times it started working.)
I admit to having little knowledge of autos. Is there any connection between the airbag being fixed and the window not working, or is this just a coincidence?
Thanks for any help

Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
The motor is probably just stuck from lack of use, if you rarely or never use it or it has been sitting for a while they can get stuck.

Key ON, engine OFF.
Turn on map light.
Push window switch and note if the map light dims ever so slightly when you do.
If it dims, the motor is pulling current and it's probably just stuck.

Start the engine, turn on the AC full blast for comfort.

Make sure the opposite rear window still works and you don't have the kiddie lockout engaged.

Get in the back seat, hold the affected window switch down with one hand and SLAM the door shut with the other while keeping the switch pressed down.
You may need to repeat a few times. Slam it like it owes you money.

(The switch needs to be pushed at the point the door is slammed, the vibration of the slam can jar the electric motor into working again.....but if you keep the switch pressed continuously it can overheat the motor and pop the internal circuit breaker, or worse... so release the switch whenever you aren't slamming the door)

If the map light did not dim slightly in the step above, this slamming of doors won't help.

HTH

Old 07-29-2016, 09:23 AM
ezone - I tried your suggestion and slammed the door 6 or 7 times but the window still wouldn't open.

Here are the results:
The map light does dim when I press the window switch.

I hear a slight whirring sound when the window switch is held down or up.

Any other ideas?
Thanks for taking the time to offer your door slamming suggestion

Old 07-29-2016, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
I've had the window stuck before, then after pressing the switch a few times the window would come down. Try having someone gently push the window down (hand on each side of the window) while pressing the button.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
I hear a slight whirring sound when the window switch is held down or up.
If you hear the electric motor is running inside the door, then the window regulator is probably broken or bad. Take door panel off and inspect?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:17 AM
If it is the window regulator that is disappointing since we have opened/closed that window only maybe 5-6 times since we bought the Fit new in 2012.

The fact that it got so little use is why I was wondering if it is possible that fixing the airbag (due to airbag recall) could have been the reason it stopped working.

My understanding is that this is @$300 repair (I won't attempt to do it myself). I'm probably not going to get it fixed since we barely open that window, and the repair might just break again for no good reason.

Thanks for you help

Old 08-01-2016, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
we have opened/closed that window only maybe 5-6 times since we bought the Fit new in 2012.
That sure qualifies as "lack of use".
The fact that it got so little use is why I was wondering if it is possible that fixing the airbag (due to airbag recall) could have been the reason it stopped working.
Absolutely not related in any way to the recall work. None whatsoever.

But you need to figure out if the 'whirring sound' is actually the window motor running, or if it's one of those electronic control noises that some do make even though the electric motor is not working.

You could remove the door panel and test for power and ground at the motor connector, and if present give the motor a whack to see if it will start working again.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:22 PM
jy1129 - I tried pushing down on the window while someone held the switch down, but it didn't work. Thanks for your suggestion

ezone - I'll get the courage to remove the door panel one of these days and check it out. Thanks very much for taking the time to help me