2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the AC with the setting on feet/floor but my windshield gets air too?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Using the AC with the setting on feet/floor but my windshield gets air too?

When I am using the AC and have it at my feet, the windshield also gets fogged from the cold, is that normal? I noticed when I was changing my short throw shifter i saw that perhaps the vents under there wasn't completely sealed or blocked off, should i go back in there and duck tape it? and will it help anything?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:12 AM
If you're talking about the vents at the extreme ends of the dashboard behind the square cupholders, they're always active; you have to manually close them to shut them off.

If you're talking about the normal defroster vents, it's not entirely unexpected for a little bit of air to leak out of them. The selector knob just operates a set of flapper valves inside the middle of the dashboard through a push/pull cable and a series of cams and levers. It's not a perfectly precision engineered system. If it's a lot of air, then you may have something broken or out of adjustment; whether it's worth worrying about or not is up to you.

Duck tape is probably not a good solution to the problem in any case. You do want to have the defroster vents working in case you need to defrost or defog the windshield. I have a rather vivid memory of driving a U-Haul once with a broken defroster system on a foggy/damp night where I had to end up taking my t-shirt off and using it to wipe the windshield so as to be able to see where I was going (to the extent that one could through the fog).

Old 08-11-2016, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
I was referring to duck taping the duct between the floor and the duct in front of the shifter. You have to remove the shifter and center console to see it but it looks like a huge gap between the 2 ducts . I will try and buy some duct tape and give it a go and take lots of pictures!