2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hack my door locks?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
Hack my door locks?!

Is there a way to make it so I can lock my car with the doors open? This is a real problem for me with my 2013 Honda Fit. I carry a lot of stuff with me every day, a gym bag, a laptop bag, a work shirt on a hanger, & a large lunchbox. When I get to the gym in the morning, I have to get my gym bag & shirt (hands are full), then somehow close the doors & hit the remote to lock it. Many times I actually open both the back & passenger doors, reach across to lock it via the driver's door, remove bag, remove shirt, then close both doors with my foot.

Today I missed locking it & got robbed. They took my laptop & my lunchbox while I was in the gym.

I asked at the deal a couple years ago if there was a way to make it possible to lock the doors with the remote when the doors are open. He said no, that people would lock their keys in the car that way. How?! I got the freakin remote/key IN MY HAND.

Stupid engineering feature IMO. The only real complaint (other than less that 30MPG, I know - drive slower) about my Fit.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Is there a way to make it so I can lock my car with the doors open?
Remove key from ignition.
Open drivers door.
Push LOCK button on the master switch panel, all doors will lock.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you for your reply.
Let me be a bit more clear:

Is there a way to hack the locks so that I can lock the car with my remote with a door open? Like from the back hatch or a passenger door?

Your suggestion is fine & I used it as an example in my post. However, I do have to enter the car from the passenger side to collect up all the stuff I always seem to carry, so it really doesn't work that well. As I said in the OP I've have reached across & locked the doors from the passenger side but it is not exactly convenient. Nearly impossible from the back hatch.

It's quite likely it can't be done but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Again, thank for your reply.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
The simple answer is no, because the function is programmed into the multiplex (BCM) unit to operate that way.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
My old integra would allow you to lock the doors with a door open only if you had the inside handle pulled on the door. I don't know if this is the case with the fit. The way it would work is when I opened the driver's door, I could pull on the inside handle and press the lock button (again on the door). Whether this trick works with the Fit, with the Remote (instead of the door button) or with the passenger side door, I don't know. it'll be a trial & Error thing.

Also, I do know the fit automatically locks itself after 30 seconds if the unlock button is pressed and no doors are opened. Don't know if this is the case if you press the unlock button while a door is open, (and close it prior to the countdown ending)

Sorry I don't have any solutions, but only things to try.
Good Luck,
~SB

Old 12-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Bruinwar
I asked at the deal a couple years ago if there was a way to make it possible to lock the doors with the remote when the doors are open. He said no, that people would lock their keys in the car that way. How?! I got the freakin remote/key IN MY HAND.
My mother managed to lock the keys into her accord. The key was hanging out of the ignition cylinder. Having a key hanging out of the ignition cylinder disables the lock from locking the doors. Still she managed the proper combination of stupid actions that led to her locking the keys in the car.

These cars HAVE to be designed around stupid people. Stupid people will find a way to cause problems for themselves. I got to hear a customer tell a story of being lock into a CRV because it had a dead battery and the power door locks didn't work. Someone had to bring him a key to let him out. That was 2 stupid people involved in that case. The person too dumb to just move the lock button to unlock the door and the person that fetched a key that wasn't smart enough to tell him to unlock the door.

Now about your car. You could have an aftermarket security system added. Many have the option for walk away locking. Close door and it will lock all doors 2 minutes later. I personally don't trust AF security systems for a variety of reason, but many have them installed and don't have problems.

You could disable the door jamb switch on your passenger door. Just unbolt and unplug the connector. This would prevent the car from ever knowing that the passenger door was open. I personally wouldn't.

You could add an additional lock button at a place of your choosing somewhere inside or outside of the car. All it takes is 1 wire spliced into the "lock" wire on the door harness with a momentary contact push button switch making connection with a chassis ground. This would cause all the door locks to locks if done correctly. Just make sure to pick the lock wire and not the unlock wire.

You could stop leaving anything of value in your car. This limits your risk if YOU make the mistake of leaving your car unlocked. The majority of honda cars do not sound the alarm if you break the window. If someone really wants your stuff a rock or hammer will unlock it in seconds. Since it is a hatchback you don't have a truly secured interior for valuable items.

Or you could get a bag that will hold all of you items and carry this larger bag. I suggest this bag.

Attached Thumbnails Hack my door locks?!-80-atlanta_props_giant_purse_41133e7df464adc1828d9e2dfdc16c78bd61cfb3.jpg  
Old 12-02-2016, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mcnoople
These cars HAVE to be designed around stupid people. Stupid people will find a way to cause problems for themselves. I got to hear a customer tell a story of being lock into a CRV because it had a dead battery and the power door locks didn't work. Someone had to bring him a key to let him out. That was 2 stupid people involved in that case. The person too dumb to just move the lock button to unlock the door and the person that fetched a key that wasn't smart enough to tell him to unlock the door.
You have no idea what it's like to be trapped inside a car.