2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

busted back mirror cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 01:59 AM
busted back mirror cover

Does anyone know of any videos on how to remove just the skull cap cover on passenger side mirror.
I have seen videos on how to replace whole mirror, but just need to replace the black cover to it.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
Old 04-03-2017, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
I can't see the video posted above from work but I can tell you this:

You have to take the mirror apart to do it. It's really easy though. I had to replace both mirrors on my Dad's fit and it didn't take long to do. I did both in about half the time that I thought it would take to do one so...

P.S. My Dad has a fit, I have a fit and my son has a fit. We love our fit.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:01 AM
Thank you both for response back, I will attempt when/if it ever stops raining here

Old 05-08-2018, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
My wife's 2015 Fit passenger side mirror has a broken skull cap and also part of the black housing. I have the new parts. Can anyone say if it is necessary to take the inside door panel off to replace these parts? My kit (from Honda) also came with an electrical connector housing, not sure what that's about.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:50 AM
5 Year Member
This brings up another point, is there a way to get heated outside mirrors?

That would be an excellent & useful upgrade here in the rainy northeast USA.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
This brings up another point, is there a way to get heated outside mirrors?

That would be an excellent & useful upgrade here in the rainy northeast USA.
Bassguitarist did a writeup and video for his GK. I used it to install my mirror signal lights.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:16 PM
I need to replace the skull on my side mirror as well and cannot get the mirror to detach. I've watched the videos and looked at the links provided and tried to do what was intructed, but the thing won't come off. I have not tried heating it with a heating gun yet (I don't have one currently) and just wanted to check if anyone has any tips on how they finally got the mirror out to replace the skull.

I know I'm looking for a white attachment and need to get a flathead screwdriver in there and turn it to detach the mirror - I have tried this multiple times without success and I don't want to break the mirror. If anyone has any advice I'm all ears - Does it really take a lot of force to get the mirror out? I'm trying to be a little careful so I don't break anything, but maybe it just takes a lot of force and that's how it's done. I'm not 100% sure I'm putting the screwdriver in the right place either, all I know is I'm looking for a white attachment of some sort.

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't have to take this to the shop and get gouged.
Thanks.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
I used this one to replace my covers with winkers

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...s-winkers.html

A couple years later I added the arrows behind the glass using this method

Old 01-25-2019, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the reply - that helps me better understand what things look like on the back of the mirror, though I'm still trying to find a better video for actually removing it from a 2009 Fit. I did find this video for a similar generation Honda Civic, and it looks kind of similar to other vids I've seen with the Fit. There was a good video on removing the mirror from a later generation Fit, but it doesn't look like the parts are the same behind the mirror to me.

Here is the vid for the Civic that I'm hoping will help me:

I'm going to give it another try and try to find where the white plastic meets the black plastic on the mirror and focus on prying that. I didn't think it would require too much force to pop the mirror out, but it's looking like it does. Fingers crossed it doesn't break.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
You are replacing the white skull cover right? If so then just pry up starting along the bottom to release the clips of the white cover. It is easy. So even if you break it you are replacing it no?

Old 01-25-2019, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
I have done this operation on several cars but not the Fit.

The plastics and paint are very delicate so are ultra easy to crack and craze. Try to do this on a warm day in the sunlight if possible. The plastics might be a bit more flexible, easier to work & less probable to break; the paint might also be more flexible and less prone to damage.

As weather is so miserable in Cleveland, you might just remove the whole mirror housing and do the cap replacement on warm plastic in a warm room. . .

Also be super careful with the glass mirror. It is incredibly delicate and breaks very easily. It breaks in shards so can cut you pretty seriously. Rubber dish gloves are not good enough.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Yep, finally got it off after focusing on prying the black plastic from the white plastic - the video I posted on Youtube was the clue I needed. I got the skull cap on and when putting the mirror back in and trying to snap it back into place, the mirror broke and cracked. This was trickier than I thought it would be. Snapping the mirror back in place required a significant amount of pressure while holding the mirror on the top in place and, as mentioned, it is very fragile. So I ordered a new glass now and will try to get it in without breaking it and be as careful as I can - very frustrating.

Update:

After ordering the new glass, I encountered the same problem. I don't know how you're supposed to get the mirror clipped back in without breaking it because it requires a lot of pressure to get the bottom clips to connect. I got one clip connected on the bottom and tried to press down to get the other side connected and it wouldn't clip. I didn't want to break the mirror again, so I'm just leaving it on with the one connected clip - the top clips are holding it in place as well so I think it's fine and stable enough. Warning to others trying this - be careful clipping the mirror back into place - don't ask me how to do it without breaking it.

If anyone has any tips on how to get the mirror back in place and reduce the risk of breaking it, I'd be all ears.

Last edited by klemmaniac; 01-31-2019 at 04:14 PM.