2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

faulty EPS, alignment or something else???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
faulty EPS, alignment or something else???

2011 honda fit sport 68,550 miles. drove from virginia to florida. ride down was fine. hands off the wheel she drove straight as an arrow. got to fla about 5pm. parked car didnt drive till next morning and now the steering is all screwy. hands off the wheel and she pulls. really really hard to the right. like in left lane going 55. hands off wheel withen 2 seconds i gotta grab wheel or id be in the ditch on right side of road.

​​at low speeds.. under 25 when turn either direction the steering wheel shudders/wiggles left and right like the power steering is messing up. no dummy lights on.

took to tire kingdom for alignment today. they did test drive came bk said alignment wont fix it, but in same sentence said they dont have asa certified ( thay guy was off ) tech there atm so cudnt diagnose it but said all signs point to a bad EPS unit. they wudnt even attempt alignment. they also said no codes came up either. the pics below is of steering wheel when im going straight... u can see the steering wheel isnt straight gotta turn left a lil to go straight.. so i know alignment off and other pic is of road was on. even that curvature of the road i wud still drive into ditch thats how bad it pulls to the right

top it all of i gotta leave for va in few hrs and drive car back 700 miles like this.

anyone can give any insite into this? possibly a recall? i looked for a bit but using my crappy dumb smart phone stupid slow cud find other honda models had a recall on the EPS but cudnt find anything fit related.

ive even tried disconnecting battery thinking maybe since its an electronic component that resetting computer might fix. it didnt.

​​​​​
​​​​

Old 07-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
well dumb question, but isn't the TPMS light on. Maybe your tire pressure is low?

Old 07-03-2017, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
back rear tire has nail in it. been like that for months. gotta put air in once a week. all tires at 32/33 still same issue. been doing it for 3 days now( the steering issue )

Old 07-04-2017, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
really really hard to the right.

the steering wheel shudders/wiggles left and right
Bad tire, "slipped belt" in a tire.

If you could raise the front tires off the ground and let them spin, you'd probably be able to see a lump or waddle in the tread of at least one front tire as they rotate.