3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Steering Wheel Off-Center

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Steering Wheel Off-Center

Thought my alignment was cause I was experiencing a pull to the right when the steering wheel was center. So I had the dealership perform one. The print-out results revealed that it didn't really need an alignment in the first place. I now realize that my alignment isn't off, but my steering wheel is off-center by 2 or 3 degrees to the left and they simply overlooked centering the wheel at the dealership. Was wondering if I could fix it myself using this technique:

DIY: Adjust an off-set "crooked" steering wheel

I'm sure I could make a stink about it and get them to fix it at the dealership, but I don't mind a little DIY. Any thoughts? Do you think that tutorial is the same steps I'd follow?

Old 03-02-2016, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
You could DIY but ----you paid good money for the dealer to do this, take it back and explain (SHOW THEM) what the problem is.

Also, if the wind is blowing or the road tilts a little bit or you have a passenger in the other seat, that might make it hard for someone to notice only a couple degrees off center on the steering wheel position. That's not much and sounds like something not many would ever notice or complain about.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my wife's GK is like dat too. i took it back to the dealer and they gave me the same crap that is within factory specs.

well i tell u, none of my made in japan cars have a cocked steering wheel. so much for mexican honda quality.

next time im going to take it to my usual alignment guru who has a race alignement rack. he can even do super low cars as the rack is embedded into the floor. very cool.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
I've never gotten a good alignment from a dealer ever, I always get my cars aligned when I buy them even if brand new, I've found them a full 2 or three degrees off on a brand new car..

When they say "factory spec" I tell them if I'm paying its MY specs.. If its warranty thing, well ya get what ya pay for..

Old 03-08-2017, 09:07 AM
I too have a not perfectly centered steering wheel on a 2012 fit sport. Took it to get aligned and the shop said the alignment was so perfect already that they didn't want to mess with it over steering wheel centering. Are they just not confident in themselves or is it really best to leave it alone? Any mechanical or functional issues with leaving a steering wheel off center a bit? thanks

Old 10-06-2017, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Adjust steering wheel

Originally Posted by WagovanMan
Thought my alignment was cause I was experiencing a pull to the right when the steering wheel was center. So I had the dealership perform one. The print-out results revealed that it didn't really need an alignment in the first place. I now realize that my alignment isn't off, but my steering wheel is off-center by 2 or 3 degrees to the left and they simply overlooked centering the wheel at the dealership. Was wondering if I could fix it myself using this technique:

DIY: Adjust an off-set "crooked" steering wheel

I'm sure I could make a stink about it and get them to fix it at the dealership, but I don't mind a little DIY. Any thoughts? Do you think that tutorial is the same steps I'd follow?
You can do this is if you have the skills and are meticulous. You have to first get a good alignment. I then toed both front tires to the left maybe a quarter inch to correct a steering wheel tilting to the left. NOTE I mean I only turned the inner tie rod 1/4 inch which is not even a 1/4 turn The jam nut between the inner and outer backs away from the outer tie rod like any standard nut and bolt, no strange left or right threads. You HAVE TO MARK a reference point on the inner and outer tie rods BEFORE loosening anything. I rotated the outer tie rod on each side all the way forward before making adjustments and rotated them back neutral after tightening jam nut. Make small moves at a time. I would have never gotten a straight steering wheel without doing it myself.
I also had to do my own moog toe shims for the rear. The dealer would have never fixed my toe problem on rear. Front toe is the ONLY thing adjustable stock on our cars. DISCLAIMER: DO NOT ATTEMPT this if you have any doubts about your skill or ability DEATH could result! It was easy for me with a 14mm 19mm and small crescent wrench and small flexible ruler to "wrap" around the tie rod to measure.

Last edited by vic831; 10-06-2017 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-07-2017, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
You can change the caster by a tiny amount on the fit by loosening the strut to arm bolts and using the play in the bolt holes to change, or they make a set of eccentric bolts and bushings that allow it.. I've gotten a degree or two by just loosening and prying on the strut... If you cant get it where you want it then camber plates are the next step. (Need more skills and tools but still not a crazy hard job. ) FWIW I'd rate alignment as far less work or technical skills than replacing a engine.. YMMV

Old 10-07-2017, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
You can change the caster by a tiny amount on the fit by loosening the strut to arm bolts and using the play in the bolt holes to change, or they make a set of eccentric bolts and bushings that allow it.. I've gotten a degree or two by just loosening and prying on the strut... If you cant get it where you want it then camber plates are the next step. (Need more skills and tools but still not a crazy hard job. ) FWIW I'd rate alignment as far less work or technical skills than replacing a engine.. YMMV
Right, moog camber bolts can be added to the front and separate moog toe or camber shims are available for $6.60 each from Rockauto for the rear. Rear shims were easy hardest part was obtaining factory Honda torque spec for axle hub bolts.
Bottom line steering wheel is very tedious for a shop to get it straight to a customers liking if the customer is picky. I had to remove each wheel 4 times and move the inner tie rod ~2mm rotation at a time to get the SW straight to my liking. That steering rack is sensitive like a mini cooper off center. i.e. slightest movement and car is heading right or left on the road.
The only way a shop could come close is to align your car, have you drive it, put it back on the rack with you in it, have you turn wheel until they see 0 degrees toe, then have you turn SW the amount you want adjusted, have you hold it there steady while they then turn the inner tie rods/adjust toe back to zero 0 degrees. 99% of time they are not going to let you do this, so doing it yourself was the only way for me. My car is "right" now to me. It's never perfect shoot for 95% like the above article said the road crown really cocks the SW on the road IMO.

Last edited by vic831; 10-07-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I always have my steering go off center when I switch to my winter wheel set. No issues with alignment.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:18 PM
My steering wheel was also off center. Dealership said it was fine. It wasn't. Hold it straight and it pulled. 2nd dealership repaired it NP