2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Rough shifting (1st -> 2nd). Pls help :-)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 06:52 PM
2010 Rough shifting (1st -> 2nd). Pls help :-)

I just bought a used 2010 Fit, base model with automatic transmission and 37,000 miles. It was super dirty and I suspect the previous owner wasn't big on maintenance. The car shifts rather roughly from 1st to 2nd gear, sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. I paid a Honda dealership $120 to do a full check, and told them about the transmission issue. They reported that everything was fine with it - no engine codes or other issues - that it should be fine after changing the transmission fluid, which I just did at a local Pep Boys. I'd say it shifts smoother, but still executes the rough/abrupt shift periodically (intermittently, sometimes it's smooth).

I have transmission control/sensor issues with my 2002 Accord EX, where it was doing a similar thing. The D3 light would flash, then really rough shifts. The previous Fit owner mentioned that he the D light was flashing for a bit, then he replaced some sensor.

I still think there are problems with my new 2010 Fit. It seems to me computer/sensor rather than mechanical, but I'm not entirely sure. How would you go about troubleshooting? Any ideas? I could probably go back to the Honda dealership for free if something else needs to be tested.

Thank you so much!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
How much ($) was the transmission fluid change at Pep Boys? If approx $100, they just drained / filled 2-3 quarts out and that procedure didn't change "all" of the transmission fluid. You still had a bunch of old / contaminated fluid in the torque converter. Once you started driving the car, that old fluid got flushed into the new fluid diluting it, so you now have about a 50/50 mix of old / new.

It's a crazy thing but you almost have to change the fluid, drive the car for 20 mins or so "all" of the fluid is circulated / blended together, then change out the 2-3 quarts that will drain out, replace with new, drive, ....... and do that about 3-4 times to sufficiently dilute the old fluid to the point +90% is new fluid.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 AM
It was $160, so I think a flush. It will be a bit before I drive much due to registration. Does that still seem like the plausible cause? The low gear shift seems a bit smoother when it happens, but is still intermittant and jarring. Does that sound hard on the car/transmission. The prev owner drove it like that for a few years, albeit low mileage.

Last edited by surferb; 02-05-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
With only 37000 miles, I'd be less inclined that the fluid was horrible enough to cause a lot of issues unless the car was in water and that got into the transmission, etc (some abnormal issue that ruined the fluid that we don't know about). Tampa has seen flooding over the 7 years. Just speculating.

Changing your own transmission fluid isn't too hard to do. Buy the DW1 stuff at a Honda dealer (not sure what Pep Boys used) at ~$8 / qt bottle and get a new drain plug washer (only use washer at the finish). Right now we have ice / snow on the ground in Pennsylvania but in Tampa you'll be fine.

Maybe the filter needs changed but again at only 37000 miles things shouldn't have been horrible.

Interesting that Pep Boys charges $160. Honda dealer here wanted ~$80 but they just did a single drain / fill (3 qts of recommended DW1 x $8 plus a $2 washer and $50 labor + tx).

Old 02-05-2018, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
... Buy the DW1 stuff at a Honda dealer (not sure what Pep Boys used) at ~$8 / qt bottle ... Maybe the filter needs changed but again at only 37000 miles things shouldn't have been horrible ...
^^^ This. Good advice here.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Should I be concerned with a rough/abrupt shift in the lower gears? Drives well other than that. And the Honda dealership cleared it on their check...

Old 02-22-2018, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Honda says never to flush their transmissions.
Did they change the transmission filter?
You could always take the shift solenoids off and check them for dirt.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:30 AM
So I guess I got raked over the coals for being dumb. The Honda lady convinced me for them to change the fluid before doing any troubleshooting...said any other fluid ok, but tranny “dangerous” for non-honda. Anyways, problem was 3rd sensor, which was intermittantly causing failure to shift to top gear (that came with a check engine light for the first time). After that, low shifts are smooth. Seems like voodoo to me, but the wifes happy so im good.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
The tranny fluid is so easy to do a full swap, with a pair of needle nose pliers, funnel with hose and a semi-clear plastic milk or washer fluid jug, marked off at 2 quarts. You need the drivers wheel a bit in the air, on wood, to get the jug under and behind the radiator. Looking at the back of the radiator, drivers right, disconnect the tranny cooler return line with the pliers. Insert end of hose into jug, have a helper turn the car on, pee out 2 quarts of fluid, turn car off. Refill thru dipstick opening with 2 quarts. Repeat 2 more times. You just replaced all your fluid.