2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What specific maintenance is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
What specific maintenance is needed?

My 2011 Base automatic is running fine, though a bit rougher than when it was new. I've had the oil changed regularly, brake fluid changed once, and automatic trans fluid changed once (I think). Also rear shocks replaced.
What else should I do at this point? I'm thinking the coolant should be replaced? Maybe the plugs? Please advise, because Honda will want to do more than I really need, probably.
Thanks!

Old 02-24-2018, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
A lot of maintenance is mileage based, so whats the mileage? I think service intervals are listed in the owners manual.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
I forgot the most important part! Mileage is just shy of 80000. I'm going to drive back to NC from Seattle in May, so I def need to get the oil changed again. Not as sure about coolant?? And maybe the plugs can wait...
A lot of things are listed in the manual, but I'm also interested in real-world maintenance, etc.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Oil for sure. I feel like oil should be changed every 3-5k depending on the quality of oil you use regardless of what you hear or what the car says. Changing coolant wouldn’t be a bad idea, as well as transmission fluid. Anything that can easily be changed before such a drive would be a good idea.

Also, I’m insanely jealous of where you currently are, and also jealous of that drive. I hope to drive cross-country one day.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hondafrk
Oil for sure. I feel like oil should be changed every 3-5k depending on the quality of oil you use regardless of what you hear or what the car says. Changing coolant wouldn’t be a bad idea, as well as transmission fluid. Anything that can easily be changed before such a drive would be a good idea.

Also, I’m insanely jealous of where you currently are, and also jealous of that drive. I hope to drive cross-country one day.
I'll for sure do oil and coolant, then.

Are you jealous of Seattle or Asheville? Both are great! I have wonderful friends out here in Seattle, but the winters are rough, and it's INSANELY expensive. I put 10,000 miles on my Fit this summer, driving from Asheville to Cape Cod to Buffalo to Seattle to Durango to Santa Fe to Asheville...then back to Seattle. It's mostly a fun drive----this country is really beautiful. You will hit some doldrums, but a good audiobook helps.
I'm coming back to Asheville to reassess, and maybe get in some beach time. I'm following other forums where there are people who are living in their Fits. I'd rather have a van, but no matter what, a life in the road sounds good!

Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Inspect tires. Replace early and often.

Inspect break pads and drums. Your rear drums may be okay, but you might be due for some pads up front.

I like to change my engine oil and filter every 3k mi.

I would replace the coolant if it has been in there for three years.

Brake fluid: Same as coolant.

Replace engine air filter.

If it is running rough, or loud, or if your MPG has dropped, I would consider a valve adjustment.

I would replace the spark plugs if you are going to adjust the valves.

I don't know anything about AT fluid. I change my MT fluid about every 3rd oil change.

You guys are doing the right thing. Drive all over this country and see everything. Get off the Interstates. Camp out in county, state and national parks. Talk to people. See it all before it's gone.