2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

'10 Honda Fit Sport AT

Old 03-13-2018, 11:13 AM
'10 Honda Fit Sport AT

Hello all. I am going to change out the ATF on my wife's 2010 Fit Sport this week as I thought it would need to be done at 100k. Unfortunately I have read that it should be done much sooner, around 30k each time. The difficult part is on this forum I can't find a definitive way to change out the tranny fluid. May someone please guide me in the right path to follow a procedure? A possible link to a method? I even googled the proper way and it seems like 20 different methods is being suggested.

Also, i have read to do 3 qts at a time, drive for a while then replace another 3 qts, repeat step 1 and this can all be done in 1 day..... Is this the best way to change out the ATF? Also do i replace a filter?

Thanks in advance and sorry for asking about changing out the ATF.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Drain it.
Refill it.
No filter.
Run engine, shift through each of the gears, shut it off.
Check fluid level with engine off.

You don't have to do it 3 times in a row if you don't want to.......depends on the situation though. Sometimes it's necessary when there's a real problem or it's been severely neglected.

In the dealer, routine service is a single drain and fill.

If you want to do it multiple times at your leisure--You could change it now, then do it again at the next oil change, repeat again later

Old 03-13-2018, 01:34 PM
Thanks Ezone. I will give it a shot. The car shifts kinda of hard at times. Or maybe it seems more of a process when shifting and that's why I checked out possible reasons why. When looking up possible reasons i discovered it may be the fluid. The car turned 82k and we have had it since 47k miles. Never once did i think to change the ATF. DO you recommend the new DW1 fluid?

Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tews19
DO you recommend the new DW1 fluid?
That's the only fluid I recommend.

Some can't afford to use the correct fluid...I can't afford not to.

When looking up possible reasons i discovered it may be the fluid.
The most common complaint I see is TCC (torque converter clutch) shudder, but I really don't remember seeing it much on Fits...though we see it plenty on other models that suffer ATF service neglect.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:22 PM
AH, there is no shudders. It seems like its taxing more then anything. Hopefully it will warm up here to allow me to drain and fill.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
What's the colour of the ATF right now?
Although the colour isn't necessarily a scientific method, it does help you ballpark the condition of the fluid.
Red(ish) = all good.
Brown(ish) = okay, but think of changing soon.
Black / Dark brown = it's bad, change ASAP.

You might be due for 2 simple fluid drain/refill cycles (the one @ 30 K and the one @ 60 K).

If your fluid if brown/dark, I would suggest you do two (2) cycles of drain/refill drive & repeat and then do another one when you hit 90 K, and keep the cycle every 30 K there after because this method only changes 20-30% of the total ATF in the car.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 03-14-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:07 PM
I ordered a case of DW1 today and a pack of crush washers. I will do 2 drains for sure and possibly a 3rd by sunday.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Regarding future ATF drain & refill cycles, you should take into account driving conditions:

* If 'severe' conditions - below freezing, short trips, stop & go, city driving, heavy cargo, long idling, then better to be pro-active and do it before 30 k miles, maybe even at 20 K miles if all of the above apply.
Honda AT's are known to be finicky and not the most reliable.

* If 'normal' conditions - mostly highway then you can likely go up to 40 k miles in between this service.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tews19
I ordered a case of DW1 today and a pack of crush washers. I will do 2 drains for sure and possibly a 3rd by sunday.
I successfully used the triple drain / refill method over a 6 hr period on a '11 Sport AT. I reused the original drain plug washer until I buttoned it up after the last refill. After each interim refill, I drove it around for 20 miles at various speeds (slow two-lane & fast four-lane). Brought is back and drained the hot Honda DW-1 ATF.

The first drain was black-brown color and had a burnt odor. After each refill / drain in the series, the odor was being reduced and the draining ATF took on more of the "raw" DW-1 red coloring.

The dealer charges almost the same amount of $ as you buying a case of DW-1 and washer but they only drain it once and refill once. From my experience after the second drain cycle, that fluid is still very dark and you may not get the improved tranny performance you are looking for.

Some others on the forum have said that they do a single drain / refill on the tranny at the same time as they do the normal engine oil change. I guess that could work too as long as you employ that method when you have relatively new ATF in there already.

If it is already black-brown and has a bad odor, get it all out first.