Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Automatic Transmission 4 time fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Automatic Transmission 4 time fluid change

Hi all,
Just thought I'd post this info about changing my automatic transmission fluid in my 2010 Fit Sport. Bought the car recently with about 115K miles. I'm the 3rd owner and got no info on whether the previous two owners ever changed the transmission fluid. When I changed it the first time, it was very dirty so I have to assume that possibly, no one ever changed it! So, instead of a "flush" that is not recommended by the dealer, I decided to change the fluid four times over time, replacing about 2.7 quarts at a time. (This is cleaning by dilution, sort of.) Between each fluid change of about 2.7 quarts, I put on a couple hundred miles to make sure the new fluid was mixed with the old fluid that was still in the transmission. I experienced no difference in performance until the 3rd change. I had been experiencing a "sluggish" shift around 10 m.p.h. and by the 3rd change, I noticed a quicker shift, around the 10 m.p.h. point. Otherwise, nothing else noticed and no more improvement with the fourth and last fluid change. But at least I know the transmission fluid is pretty clean and I won't change it again for another 30K miles.
I did change the tranny filter too and I bought a new, magnetic drain plug. When comparing the strength of the old magnetic drain plug with the new----the new magnetic plug was much, much stronger than the old! Over twice as strong when comparing the two. I'd recommend a new one to anyone who has similar miles on their Fit.
Hoping my transmission wasn't harmed by the past two owners, through neglect! Oh, and it's unbelievable how much a difference there is when checking the fluid level on completely flat ground versus just a very slight incline! Make sure you check your level on very flat ground!

Old 07-13-2019, 11:43 AM
I posted this update in another thread and decided to include it in this one because of the results since the last change.
Update: Now that I've been running the car for a few weeks with that last fluid change, slowly but surely, the shifting at that noticeable 10 m.p.h. shift has improved quite a bit! I think that because the fluid was much cleaner, the actual cleaning process is slow but sure. Before any of these changes, that shift point could take close to two seconds to shift into a higher gear! Now, it's pretty quick and responsive, enough to where I'm not sure it's not normal. I'm going to let this fluid clean in the system for a couple more weeks at least, then do one, final change, then wait for another 30K before another change. This process was slow but I think and hope it was worth it by extending the life of my transmission.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Can you describe the sluggish shift? And were you noticing any similar symptoms when applying throttle while moving? Wondering if this may apply to me.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Can you describe the sluggish shift? And were you noticing any similar symptoms when applying throttle while moving? Wondering if this may apply to me.
A little more detail here------I had a hard enough "hesitation" when shifting that it was almost like I took my foot off the accelerator pedal for two seconds. A "pause". A "break" in the acceleration. I'm pretty well convinced that the two previous owners never changed the tranny fluid.
And when watching a video on YouTube on changing the transmission fluid in an automatic Fit, just by the way my transmission has acted, he stated that there was a big difference in the shifting, with ONE fluid change. Don't believe it, just by the process I've gone through. Bunch-O-bull. One change is not going to show a great improvement in performance like YouTube claimed. This will be my fifth and final change, in a couple more weeks. I will allow the clean fluid to do its job and do some more cleaning before I quit. Good luck with yours. Oh, this process did cost me about $150 and I changed the fluid myself but I plan on keeping the car for another 100K so hope this was worth it.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
$150 and 5 oil changes.

This is a lot of time and money and old fluid.

I like this idea better:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/1559807/2

i built a flushing machine out of a 2 gallon jug and a plastic garbage bag.put a fitting at the bottom of the jug that will hook up to your cooling line then,insert the bag into the 2 gallon jug blowing in it to fill the jug. then fill the bag thats in the jug with the new fluid. put on a airtight cap that also has a fitting for a cooling line.connect the pressure side of the cooling hose to the fitting on the bottom of the bottle and the return cooling line to the lid of the bottle,now start it up ! as the old fluid pumps into the bottom of the bottle it will push the fluid in the plastic bag or (bladder) at the same rate into the return cooling line. since my tranny holds 2 gallons when the bladder is empty my change is done.you can change filters before or after this procedure. i did not change the filter i just wanted to refill a tranny that had 235000 miles worth of worn out fluid. tranny was like new afterward with all its little annoyances gone

One fluid change that gets all the oil out. Clever and simple.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by carotman
$150 and 5 oil changes.

This is a lot of time and money and old fluid.

I like this idea better:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/1559807/2

One fluid change that gets all the oil out. Clever and simple.
Yeah, I had heard of that before but was undecided if that was a "form" of a mild flush. So, I did it the slow way and glad I'm getting good results. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
I may change the at fluid in the fall. Did it at 25k and although only at 45k it's s cheap enough thing to do as preventative especially as having a hard to identify issue.

How hard is it? One refills through the AT dip dipstick? No need for full how to, I can go looking. (I paid the first time - just had a kid and a few other items were needed like airbag - so had dealer do it. Of course they rolled eyes at 25k but having seen other Honda transmissions fail in my family I really couldn't care less what they think)

Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I may change the at fluid in the fall. Did it at 25k and although only at 45k it's s cheap enough thing to do as preventative especially as having a hard to identify issue.

How hard is it? One refills through the AT dip dipstick? No need for full how to, I can go looking. (I paid the first time - just had a kid and a few other items were needed like airbag - so had dealer do it. Of course they rolled eyes at 25k but having seen other Honda transmissions fail in my family I really couldn't care less what they think)
It's literally as simple as changing your oil---only you don't have to bother changing the filter for years. Pull the plug under the tranny, drain and yes, fill through the dipstick hole. (Wipe off the magnetic drain plug too and use a new washer) Honda really has a better idea with this easy process! To tell you the truth, this is one of my main considerations, if I was looking for a brand new car, that would bring me back to Honda. (That and the reliability) The only thing I would make sure of is using Honda's official fluid and not some other brand, no matter what website says another brand is as good or better. Honda has studied their transmissions and I'm sure have developed and changed that fluid over the years, to maximize performance and wear. It's beyond me how, like my previous owners, they could go without changing the fluid, way before it's due, because it's so easy and quick.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
On my 2007 the atf got changed at 113000 miles then at 154000 then I did one at the 188000.

I personally liked doing it every 50000.

The filter should be changed probably every other time about every 100000

I sold mine at 217000 with the original filter but I noticed at the 188000 change that it was leaking fluid through a corrosion spot.