2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing check engine light & loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Question Flashing check engine light & loss of power

Not sure what to try next...

So it all started with me being stupid. 2011 Fit with 65,000 miles. I was just doing an oil change, which I've done a bunch of times before. Normally I jack it up from the side, but that doesn't really work the best and I wanted to try something different, I figured I would try from the center this time from what I thought was labelled as a jack point... I was dumb and I jacked it up by the oil pan, which quickly ended with the jack penetrating said oil pan.

I ordered a new oil pan and replaced that, and thought all was well. It drove fine all week around town, commuting and running errands, but I soon found that after 30 minutes of driving or so, and the engine is fully up to temp, the check engine light will start flashing and though the engine stays running and sounds OK, loses pretty much all power and will not accelerate when this happens. Then I have to turn it off and back on, and it's good for another 15 seconds - a few minutes. It mostly happens under load. Highways going up a slight hill, trying to pass someone, or regular roads going up a significant hill. Not necessarily at high RPM.

I was pretty sure it was the oil pickup, since it was pushed up slightly when the jack smashed into it.
(Picture attached)

I don't get any oil lights, and I tried adding almost an extra quart, just in case it was sucking oil from a little higher up than it should be.
I had to get tires swapped anyways, and took it to a local mechanic that I trust, and they said in their opinion they don't think it's the oil pickup. They didn't end up doing anything, but suggested I replace ignition coils.
So I replaced the battery (kind of needed it anyways), spark plugs, and coils. One of the coils looked pretty brown and smelled like oil, so I'm thinking there was a loose plug.

(Picture attached)

After those replacements though, it's still doing exactly same thing. One other weird thing it does at times: the traction control light now comes on randomly and stays on until the car is restarted.

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Flashing check engine light & loss of power-img_20180428_120111.jpg   Flashing check engine light & loss of power-img_20180516_174659.jpg   Flashing check engine light & loss of power-img_20180428_113736.jpg  

Last edited by carpulltice; 05-18-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
Oh Fudge you did a real good job there.

The pick up looks to be pushed to one side. I wonder if there is a leak where it is attached and it is sucking air?

Strange you would be getting all of the other problems, especially the electrical ones.

You seem to be throwing money at it willy nilly. Maybe time to take it to a dealer? Good luck.