Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Need help with CEL & Engine issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Need help with CEL & Engine issue

My wifes 07 fit ha dthe check engine light come on today. The maintenance minder light had just come on a day or two prior as it it time to have the oil changed. Along with the CEL, the engine will not exceed 4500 rpm. The car has done this 2 prior times, when it happened about a year ago, i borrowed a friends odbII scanner and i cant remember the code but it was for a faulty Vtech sensor or low engine oil level. i checked the oil and sure enough it was low, added about 3 qts. Fixed everything. shortly there after the car was due for its major service and everything checked out fine. Then it happened again about a month ago while on a road trip, same symptoms, so i pulled over to the nearest gas station, checked the oil and it was low. Added 2 qts this time and the light went off and engine was operating normal. now this time there is the cel and the engine will not go over 4500 rpm but the oil level is fine. Mine friend is gonna try and come by tonight with his scanner but i am clueless as to what may causing this. Also, there is no evidence of anything leaking, no puddles, stains on the under carrage, nothin.
Anybody have a sumilar problem before? i know not having the code yet doesn't help much but any ideas on the problem or areas i can troubleshoot? Thanks.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
3 quarts!!! it only holds 3.8 quarts might be time for a new ride.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
If not a new ride certainly ID where the oil is going. To be having a v-tec switch problem due to low oil levels twice is not a good sign. You should not see that drastic a drop in oil levels if all is well.

The Fit has precious little oil in the crank to run even a half quart low - you're seeing 3 and 2 quart top offs.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
maybe it was 2qts and 1 qt, my memory is fuzzy, either way that much loss is no good. Ive searched the engine bay and under carriage but see no signs of a leak. the exhaust doesn't indicate that its burning oil either. i borrowed my friends odbII scanner and it showed 1 code, p2467. the scanner says thats a rocker arm stuck on. i googled the code and found a post that stated that that code is for the vtec pressure switch. so now what? is this something i can do, or am i gonna have to fork over some $$$ to have the dealership do it?

Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
I remember the thread you are talking about and when I read your first post it came to mind.... It appears that you are having the same problem again... The pressure switch operates the solenoid that activates VTEC and I think but am not sure that it is part of the solenoid. I remember something about low oil level being what caused a problem like this also... If you check out College Hills or Majestic Honda for the part they have a picture that shows where it is located under the cam cover and they both sell the part for a reduced price that is cheaper than a brick and mortar dealership.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Give this a try...

Originally Posted by xwikedonex
...i googled the code and found a post that stated that that code is for the vtec pressure switch. so now what? is this something i can do, or am i gonna have to fork over some $$$ to have the dealership do it?
xwikedonex,
I replaced my solenoid a while back. The dealer charged something like ~$150. The install required nothing more than removing 3 bolts, and I recall detaching a wire or two. The whole process took about 15 minutes.
Before you buy a new one, try removing your solenoid, and try cleaning it out first. It might just be "hung-up" from spent oil or something. This may or may not work, but it's worth a try. Fifteen minutes of your time might save you some money.
Good Luck!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by xwikedonex
i borrowed my friends odbII scanner and it showed 1 code, p2467. the scanner says thats a rocker arm stuck on.
This code has nothing to do with the v-tec. In fact it really doesn't seem to be a valid OBD code.

Possibly you saw p2646 or p2647. Either way follow macbuddy's advice. 2010 Manual says;

DTC P2646: Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch
Circuit Low Voltage

Is DTC P2646 indicated?
YES–Check for poor connections or loose terminals at
the rocker arm oil pressure switch, the rocker arm oil
control solenoid, and the ECM/PCM.

DTC P2647: Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch
Circuit High Voltage
YES–Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time.
Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the
rocker arm oil pressure switch, the rocker arm oil
control solenoid, and the ECM/PCM.

Beyond this there's a slew of diagnostic steps to identify/confirm issues with the system.

It really is more than throwing parts at it. It's why we have Honda techs, like them or not. I tend to respect their knowledge.

You're going to need to be a bit more accurate in your observations and 'diagnosis'. 1-3-2 quarts of oil maybe doesn't cut it.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the help guys, sorry bout the questionable oil detail, like I said it was about a year ago. I bought 4qts but returned some cause I didn't use it. The other time a month ago it was 4 am and i wasn't quite awake yet.
I'm gonna double check the code when I get home from work and take a peek at the solenoid. What would you reccommend to clean the solenoid with?

And thanks again guys.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
yup i mixed the numbers, its p2647.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
so i checked all the connections and made sure nothing was clogged, all seemed well. Cleared the cel and took it for a short test drive. everything seemed normal. quick question though, when you clear the cel is it like when you disconnect the battery and the ecu resets and has to re learn what the engine is doing, or if there still was a problem with the solenoid would it immediately show a cel again?
thanks for the help

Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 PM
You are most likely dealing with an intermittent problem. Fear not, if an issue still exists it will trip the CEL again when the problem re-occurs. Should you have a problem you now have information a tech would be interested in knowing.