2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose spark plug. Any tried and true remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sarasube
maybe you could chime in to see how hard it was to remove spark plug with threadlocker,
or anybody that used threadlocker. have to check mine soon.

thanks
I used about 20 drops of blue on one attempt and they still worked themselves loose. Blue is only good up to 450 F. Red is good for 500 F . I'm thinking of trying green 620.
See my post: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...arranty-8.html

Old 11-08-2019, 09:41 PM
Old 11-15-2019, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Blue Permatex paste worked for me on my '11 Sport AT. Now has 80k+ miles on it (30k miles running with Permatex). Maybe mine (spark plug threads on #2 & #3) weren't too bad yet. Might work in your case. Give it a try before dismissing.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
I did. Didn't help. Sorry.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StrobeWylan
I did. Didn't help. Sorry.
What's next move?
1.) Seems like the threads are more significantly eroded by hot gases leaking past a loose plug.
2.) Threads need repaired.
3.) Pull the head:
a.) Repair the threads with Helicoils - what are others' experiences?
b.) An old lawn tractor I had, the striped out spark plug was repaired by a heavy metal threaded sleeve that in effect made the OEM spec spark plug 'fatter' and that firmly attached to the new / fresh-cut threads - might be a Helicoil product too.
c.) Replace the head with one not damaged.

What are you thinking?

Old 11-19-2019, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Plugs

I torqued mine to about 25 foot pounds with no problem. 13 foot pounds is not very much. They should be fine with a bit more torque.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claycolvin
I torqued mine to about 25 foot pounds with no problem. 13 foot pounds is not very much. They should be fine with a bit more torque.
If the threads are damaged that may make them worse. At least, I would think so given how softer materials like plastic work. 25lb ft is probably not too much imo but I would also be cautious in this situation. I’m also not sure what better plan to suggest.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:25 PM
i say shoot for a bit less initially....20 lbs/ft with new virgin plugs.

i really believe once the plugs washer has been crushed once and then backed out, the plug is done. on our motors anyways. of course this is dependent on if the threads are damaged yet of course.

sad to see so many people having this problem lately. makes me lose some love for honda.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy

Originally Posted by eulogy

sad to see so many people having this problem lately. makes me lose some love for honda.
Yeah, I've had a lot of Hondas and this is so disappointing. When we bought the fit we went by reviews and consumer reports, etc. But honestly nothing is proven when it's only a year or two old. I worked in appliance repair for many years and consumer reports would praise an appliance that we techs all knew was a piece of junk.

That said, Honda: you have broken my heart!

Old 11-20-2019, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
c.) Replace the head with one not damaged.

What are you thinking?
Replacing the head with one of the same design, hummm... wouldn't the problem start all over again at some point in the future?

Old 11-22-2019, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StrobeWylan
Replacing the head with one of the same design, hummm... wouldn't the problem start all over again at some point in the future?
Now that you know that the problem exists, you could check the plugs before any damage occurs. After getting a new head, check it at 100 miles, then 300 miles, then 500 miles then maybe 1000 miles until you're confident that the plugs are secure. Always be on the look out for the odor of gasoline upon start up (leaking by the spark plug) and is the Check-Engine-Light (CEL) comes on and the 'misfire' code.

Initially, I didn't know what as happening when the CEL and the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) lights came on ('11 Sport AT), and therefore, didn't react as quick as I should have. As noted earlier, my plugs have stayed secure over the last 30,000 miles (blue threadlocker paste). There is hope unless you want to buy a different car and be done with worrying about this.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
I already have plenty of cars. I just want to take my time and find the right solution to this one. I don't usually drive it much in winter. It's not the best car for snow. So there's no hurry.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
I dealt with this about 4 months ago. 4 months prior I had plug come loose I replaced them all, I torqued them by feel as I’ve been a mechanic a long time and trust my mechanics feel. The same put came loose again, I replaced all the plugs again and tightened them even more. Ultimately the plug that kept coming loose #2 which seems to be the common one blew right out of the head. I bought the tool to re tap and install a Time Sert and it’s been flawless ever since. Basically it’s a slippery slope until the threads have been repaired then it will be fine forever if done correctly.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cutsheal5
I dealt with this about 4 months ago. 4 months prior I had plug come loose I replaced them all, I torqued them by feel as I’ve been a mechanic a long time and trust my mechanics feel. The same put came loose again, I replaced all the plugs again and tightened them even more. Ultimately the plug that kept coming loose #2 which seems to be the common one blew right out of the head. I bought the tool to re tap and install a Time Sert and it’s been flawless ever since. Basically it’s a slippery slope until the threads have been repaired then it will be fine forever if done correctly.
Yup, did the same thing about a year ago... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1418982

Strange that my issue repeated itself multiple times with codes and not by blowing itself out of the head. And this is despite the fact that I have a supercharger on it.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah mine blew the coil out and everything, glad i was able to do it with the head on I just greased the tap and never dropped any shavings. I also never got any codes, but it sounded like a car that had a collapsed lifter on cold start that’s how I found it both times, so far I haven’t had it yet and it’s been awhile. I put some cheap spark plugs back in and I’m going to let it ride and see how long it lasts now.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member

I just watched a video on installing a Time Sert. If you did this without removing the head, then my sombrero is in the "Off" position to you, sir.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
It was really easy if you get the right tap it is tapered and uses what’s left of the old threads to guide it in straight. Just takes time and a little grease in the tap. Took me longer to get the car apart then it did to repair the hole.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
It was really easy if you get the right tap it is tapered and uses what’s left of the old threads to guide it in straight. Just takes time and a little grease in the tap. Took me longer to get the car apart then it did to repair the hole.
What about shavings dropping into the cylinder? Also, I found it difficult to get enough room to change out the spark plugs. I would imagine that things would be even tighter with tap tools. But I'm sure that you are a better mechanic than me. I'm just a driveway mechanic.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
What about shavings dropping into the cylinder? Also, I found it difficult to get enough room to change out the spark plugs. I would imagine that things would be even tighter with tap tools. But I'm sure that you are a better mechanic than me. I'm just a driveway mechanic.
If you put a ton of grease on the tap and clean and re grease it a couple times the shavings stick to the grease and you don’t have to worry. I had the wiper cowl off the car and the intake off the engine there was tons of room.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
If you put a ton of grease on the tap and clean and re grease it a couple times the shavings stick to the grease and you don’t have to worry. I had the wiper cowl off the car and the intake off the engine there was tons of room.
I didn't bother with the grease and went at it fully knowing I was going to get shavings everywhere. Once I was finished cutting, I used a mini-vac with a couple of straws (straight plastic and flexible rubber types that were just small enough to fit in there and allow some decent airflow) and jammed them in there to suck up whatever they could get to.

Quick Reply: Loose spark plug. Any tried and true remedy?