2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Magic Seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 06:12 PM
Stuck Magic Seat

Hello everyone, I'm new to Honda but fell in love with a 2009 Honda Fit Sport MT for my daily that I bought on Monday. So much fun to drive for such an economical car! It has its issues since it has 140k miles when I got it, the first one that I really want to fix though is the rear drivers side seat. I was having trouble with the rear seats locking down, they seemed to come up WAY to easy and I thought they weren't locking. I haven't noticed them bouncing around or anything though when driving. I slammed the one seat down to make sure it locked, and now I cannot get it pulled up. Is there a manual release hidden somewhere to unlock it if they become stuck? I'm hoping I wasn't too rough with it and actually broke it due to some ignorance on how they work when I first got it.

Any help is much appreciated!

Old 08-16-2018, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
There's no latch on the bottom. They just clip in. Try driving around with it for a while and see if it jiggles the mechanism loose. I should probably go WD40 my latches up now just in case ...

Old 08-16-2018, 10:19 PM
So do they come up really easily though when they are working properly? I slammed it closed in the first place because it didn't feel like it was actually latching and would lift up so easily. The passenger side still doesn't feel like it actually latches when I lift or close it. But I haven't had any problem with it lifting up during bumps or anything either.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BeyondAddiction
So do they come up really easily though when they are working properly? I slammed it closed in the first place because it didn't feel like it was actually latching and would lift up so easily. The passenger side still doesn't feel like it actually latches when I lift or close it. But I haven't had any problem with it lifting up during bumps or anything either.
Yes they com. eup easily. I would not worry about them. If you do not have passengers does it really matter whether up or down ..? If have passenger then doubt the seat would come up.

As suggested I would give a shot of WD40 and otherwise ignore them. Enjoy

Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 AM
I'm new to the fit also, I find myself leaving them in the up position. I set my lunch bog on the floor then, as to not get any stains on the seats.
this design is freaking amazing
Stuffed this cart carirrer in it last night.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Yes they com. eup easily. I would not worry about them. If you do not have passengers does it really matter whether up or down ..? If have passenger then doubt the seat would come up.

As suggested I would give a shot of WD40 and otherwise ignore them. Enjoy
We have kids, so they will ride in it. I was just worried about them popping up while driving when no one is in them to keep them down.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
I've only had a handful of people ride in the back, 99.999% of the time it's empty and it's never popped loose. It was a concern when I bought my GK, but I guess it's not a problem.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:37 PM
I have floor mats in the back.. i think they are weather-tech.. anyway, after a car wash, without fail the guys cleaning will lower the seats onto my mat cinching it into the clip and making it nearly impossible to remove. I used so much force trying to pop the seat up that I think I either damaged the mechanism because now, even with the mats getting stuck, they come up more easily.

Its been a few years now and I haven't had any issues. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:35 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by fujisawa
There's no latch on the bottom. They just clip in. Try driving around with it for a while and see if it jiggles the mechanism loose. I should probably go WD40 my latches up now just in case ...
fujisawa was right! I had the same thing happen to me today, the seat accidentally slammed down way harder than normal and got stuck. I checked FitFreak and found this thread. I had to run errands anyway, and when we got back I was able to shake it a few times and it became unstuck.

I'll definitely be putting on some WD40 soon!