2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Lights Indicator Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:55 AM
Exterior Lights Indicator Issue

Hello. My wife owns a 2013 Fit.

As as we head into the fall and it gets dark earlier, my wife has begun using her headlights again when driving home from work.

As you all know, a green indicator on the dashboard comes on when turning on the exterior lights. However, she noticed that this green indicator turns on when rotating the light control switch one click (and the exterior lights are not yet on).

Should this be happening or is this a malfunction? Can someone verify on their 2013 Fit? If it is a malfunction, how can it be fixed?

Note, the green indicator stays on when rotating the light control switch all the way with two clicks (and the exterior lights are actually on). Also note, this issue is the same whether the high beam is activated or not.

This is a dangerous malfunction and/or design flaw, because my wife was initially driving thinking her headlights were on when they were not, due to this green indicator being lit.

Last edited by leonsandiego; 09-13-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
No, it's correct.

The green indicator is for your parking lights (everything except main).

There's a SEPARATE indicator for you to know what your main are doing... and that is the high beam indicator.

When lights are "OFF," they are not actually OFF, they should be on DRL mode, which is basically high beams at half power/duty cycle (looks like "weak" high beam)... and as such, the indicator is ON, but dim and barely noticeable.

When your main lights are ON and in high beam mode, it's fully lit up and very noticeable.

When your main lights are on LOW beam mode, it's the ONLY time that indicator is off with your car running after you've released the parking brake at least once.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by leonsandiego
This is a dangerous malfunction and/or design flaw, because my wife was initially driving thinking her headlights were on when they were not, due to this green indicator being lit.
I’ve been thinking about this... and normally, I’d do an edit, but this time is important enough to post separately.

Whats more dangerous than what you claim, is you and your wife’s lack of sense.

Regardless of what the dash indicates, you should be able to discern whether your headlights are on, just by looking forward.

If your vision is so poor that you can’t tell, then the bigger issue is that you probably shouldn’t be on the road to begin with.

DRLs are nowhere enough to light up the road to be safe, so when it gets sufficiently dark, you should automatically notice that you need to turn your lights on, no matter what any instrument may or may not indicate. And if the lights then don’t turn on, you now know it needs to be replaced. Incidentally, the high beam indicator will be stuck fully lit if your low beam is out when you turn it on. But you shouldn’t need an indicator to tell you that, as it should be plain as day, or lack of.

As if your name is any indicator, that means that even though I don’t live in SD, I have to worry about my family when you drive on the road, due to your foolishness.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM
I am sure the OP (and wife) are not necessarily driving with only their DRLs on - I read the post as a quirk they noticed when turning on the headlights.

You would be surprised (then again, maybe not) at how many cars I see on the road here in California that drive with only their DRLs on. More than I can count on one hand, and that is every morning of my commute. I know because they come zooming by with zero rear lights on. (Yes, different cars)

But what worries me more and more each day are the people who resolutely insist on texting while driving. But that is a different topic.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
I am sure the OP (and wife) are not necessarily driving with only their DRLs on - I read the post as a quirk they noticed when turning on the headlights.

You would be surprised (then again, maybe not) at how many cars I see on the road here in California that drive with only their DRLs on. More than I can count on one hand, and that is every morning of my commute. I know because they come zooming by with zero rear lights on. (Yes, different cars)

But what worries me more and more each day are the people who resolutely insist on texting while driving. But that is a different topic.
No, he's claiming it's "a dangerous malfunction and/or design flaw" because they thought it was ON.

But yeah, I've seen plenty doing the exact same thing... in fact, last night there was one that didn't even have DRLs... so, pitch black all around. I don't get why there are so many idiots/assholes. But, that's the way the world is unfortunately.