2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

High Oil Consumption

Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Unhappy High Oil Consumption

Good day,

I have a 2012 Honda Fit. I am not aware how many owners had it before me. However Had it since February engine looks great and it drives great. i serviced it twice since i had it. Since July I notice the oil levels on the dip stick to be going down often. I first serviced it in April and second service was in September. Before I service again in September i added two full quarts of oil. I had two seperate mechanic checked it and there was no leak and no sign of oil burn. They both recommended I use a higher viscosity oil so now am using 10w-30. Hoping its solves the problem. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Old 10-08-2018, 12:11 AM
It seems like you're doing oil changes regularly but the previous owner may not have. I work for a Honda specialty shop and we recommend every 3k even though the dash indicator is for 10k. To be honest I used to go by that myself before I was taught better. Overkill? Maybe but it's cheap insurance and you can see a huge difference between cars that are regularly serviced and the ones that aren't. If I were to guess it might need a valve job but it's hard to say. I haven't seen a fit lower than the bottom line on the dipstick.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by Greg09base
It seems like you're doing oil changes regularly but the previous owner may not have. I work for a Honda specialty shop and we recommend every 3k even though the dash indicator is for 10k. To be honest I used to go by that myself before I was taught better. Overkill? Maybe but it's cheap insurance and you can see a huge difference between cars that are regularly serviced and the ones that aren't. If I were to guess it might need a valve job but it's hard to say. I haven't seen a fit lower than the bottom line on the dipstick.
Mechanic checked the PCV valve and is working he said. I sm just puzzled about where the oil
is going.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Oil consumption is not a typical Honda problem. Especially not on Fit's.

What mileage intervals are you talking about? Time has little meaning for oil consumption. It's miles that matter. I believe the industry standard calls for less than 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles, but I would consider anything over 1/2 quart per 2,000 miles to be excessive.

Also, how many miles are on the vehicle and what is/was it's use? If it's a taxi that's sitting around idling all day, that's different than if it's gently driven as a commuter.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Oil consumption is not a typical Honda problem. Especially not on Fit's.

What mileage intervals are you talking about? Time has little meaning for oil consumption. It's miles that matter. I believe the industry standard calls for less than 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles, but I would consider anything over 1/2 quart per 2,000 miles to be excessive.

Also, how many miles are on the vehicle and what is/was it's use? If it's a taxi that's sitting around idling all day, that's different than if it's gently driven as a commuter.
Ok. Here is a little history of the vehicle.

The vehicle was first serviced by the Dealer In November 2017 when it was at 20,100 km
I received it at 22,050 km in February 2018.
In April 2018 at 28,100 km I serviced it. (Changed; Transmission oil, Engine oil, Spark plugs, Air Filter, Engine Oil Filter and Cabin Filter, drained the radiator and added new antifreeze and changed Disk pads).
In July 2018 at around 33,000 km I checked the Dipstick it was at half quart. I topped it up with all the quart.
In August at around 34, 000 km I checked it again and it went back to that same position (Half Quart) also topped it up with all the quart.
In September 2018 around 35, 000 it again went back to the same position I did a Oil change and filter change. it has been two weeks since my service. Now it at 3/4 of the quart. my mechanic recommended that I use a heavier viscosity oil such as 10w-30 rather than 5w-20 or 0w-20. I also use the Honda Synthetic Blend oil.

I drive alot on weekends but only home to work during the week which is only 30 km apart. I never noticed this problem before July and I check my oil levels every weekend since having this vehicle. When my mechanics checked it Engine Bay area was clean, no smell of burning oil Air Filter parts had no oil, muffler not smoking any color or has oil on it. The drove it and had no problems. The only problem is that in traffic at low rpm the vehicle might stutter but once I press the gas a little more it disappears and drives smoothly.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
I think you are using "quart" to mean oil level.

Fit holds 3.8 quarts of oil. There are two open dots on the dipstick. One quart low is usually at the bottom hole. Full is at the top hole. Never fill above the top hole.

I suggest doing an oil change, filling to the top hole on the dipstick (3.8 quarts) and then checking the level, when cold and on flat ground, after 1,000 miles. I think you'll find it's not using as much oil as you fear. Oil consumption is just not a common problem with Fit's.

For oil, I would run 5w-30 full synthetic, but that's just me. I'm not a fan of synthetic blends. I see them as no better than regular oil.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I think you are using "quart" to mean oil level.

Fit holds 3.8 quarts of oil. There are two open dots on the dipstick. One quart low is usually at the bottom hole. Full is at the top hole. Never fill above the top hole.

I suggest doing an oil change, filling to the top hole on the dipstick (3.8 quarts) and then checking the level, when cold and on flat ground, after 1,000 miles. I think you'll find it's not using as much oil as you fear. Oil consumption is just not a common problem with Fit's.

For oil, I would run 5w-30 full synthetic, but that's just me. I'm not a fan of synthetic blends. I see them as no better than regular oil.
Thanks for your info. Yea Quart I refer to as one bottle of oil. In to be honest I only notice the change on the dipstick after driving over 1, 000 km. But I was surprised of the amount of Oil that came out of the engine when I did my last service. I was also wondering if the consumption or drops in oil levels is due to me using synthetic blends instead of full synthetic.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Henus
Thanks for your info. Yea Quart I refer to as one bottle of oil. In to be honest I only notice the change on the dipstick after driving over 1, 000 km. But I was surprised of the amount of Oil that came out of the engine when I did my last service.
Uuhh... How much oil came out? If it's more than 3.8 quarts, that means you're putting in too much oil, which may cause the engine stutter at low rpm. And how and when do you check oil level?

Last edited by hotkey; 10-09-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by hotkey
Uuhh... How much oil came out? If it's more than 3.8 quarts, that means you're putting in too much oil, which may cause the engine stutter at low rpm. And how and when do you check oil level?
I check the oil level every weekend when I clean up by using the dipstick. I changed the oil and filter two weeks ago. Did a dipstick pull this weekend and notice the oil was at the 3/4 mark.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 AM
5 Year Member
I sort of have the opposite problem. Early on in ownership, when I refill after a filter / oil change, if I fill to the upper hole on the dip stick right then, run it, and then leave it sit on the level in the garage, the dip stick will show me that I over filled it by a little. I know that not all of the oil has made it to the crankcase on the initial refill when I checked.

Now I "short" it a little, run it around the block, let it sit and then "slowly" top it off with a hot engine. The oil level is very stable from that point on. I usually change at approx 6,000 mile intervals with 0W-20 synthetic and have 73K miles on vehicle. My sphincter puckers at the thought of 10K mile intervals even though Honda says it's OK.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
You need to park the car on level ground.
If you park on a hill facing down, it will show a higher oil level.
If you park on a hill facing up, it will show a lower oil level.
Also if you had the engine running, stopped it and immediately check the oil level, it will show lower level since not all the oil has dripped down from the engine.

Also - WTF ?!?:
In April 2018 at 28,100 km I serviced it. (Changed; Transmission oil, Engine oil, Spark plugs, Air Filter, Engine Oil Filter and Cabin Filter, drained the radiator and added new antifreeze and changed Disk pads).
Spark plugs need to be changed at around 100,000 miles (160,000 km) according to Honda.

The Air Filter should also last you longer than that. I've recently changed mine after 60,000 km and it still looked decent. In all honesty, the air filter could have lasted up to 100,000 km but they are cheap and I just changed it.

The radiator / coolant change is also not needed until approx 100,000 miles (160,000 km).

Brake pads at 28,100 km - WTF ?!?
I just changed my brake pads at 107,000 km and they still had plenty of pad material left. I think the brake pads could have lasted me until 150,000 km, but decided to change the pads & disk rotors anyways because they are pretty cheap too.