2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Humming noise coming from front after bearing/hub change

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 10:26 PM
Humming noise coming from front after bearing/hub change

i replaced my front hubs and bearings on my fit. Car is a 09 with 135k. I pulled the knuckles myself and had a Honda dealer press the old hub/bearing out and press oem hub/bearing back in.

After i I reinstalled the knuckle, I did not get an alignment. I was planning on it, but I feel like I need to replace my axles and front control arms and steering linkage, and if I was to do that, the car would definitely need another alignment.

ive been driving the car for weeks, my commute is very short, and I since the install I never had any noise or issues at all. Done all sorts of driving, different speeds, different turn directions, never any noise.

A few days ago I drove 40 miles to my friends house down back country roads, no noise, no issues. I then got to a 2 mile section of brand new freshly paved road, so new there wasn’t even lines painted. On this new road, my front end started to hum, going straight, turning left or right didn’t seem to change anything. It’s perplexing, I turned around and drove back and forth down the section and the car would hum, but I can’t get the car to make the noise on any other road.

Im not sure what’s the issue, could it be the new bearings? If it is, why won’t it make noise on any other road? Is it due to the fact that I didn’t get an alignment? I can tell the car needs one, but I didn’t think it would be detrimental to drive in the mean time.

The axles have some play, but they don’t click in turns or anything, but the new hubs and bearings feel so smooth when driving, that it made me realize how worn the rest of the front end suspension is

Old 10-29-2018, 12:44 AM
Could be the road

Old 10-30-2018, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gobstopp
I turned around and drove back and forth down the section and the car would hum, but I can’t get the car to make the noise on any other road.
Sounds like the road to me.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gobstopp
i replaced my front hubs and bearings on my fit. Car is a 09 with 135k. I pulled the knuckles myself and had a Honda dealer press the old hub/bearing out and press oem hub/bearing back in.

After i I reinstalled the knuckle, I did not get an alignment. I was planning on it, but I feel like I need to replace my axles and front control arms and steering linkage, and if I was to do that, the car would definitely need another alignment.

ive been driving the car for weeks, my commute is very short, and I since the install I never had any noise or issues at all. Done all sorts of driving, different speeds, different turn directions, never any noise.

A few days ago I drove 40 miles to my friends house down back country roads, no noise, no issues. I then got to a 2 mile section of brand new freshly paved road, so new there wasn’t even lines painted. On this new road, my front end started to hum, going straight, turning left or right didn’t seem to change anything. It’s perplexing, I turned around and drove back and forth down the section and the car would hum, but I can’t get the car to make the noise on any other road.

Im not sure what’s the issue, could it be the new bearings? If it is, why won’t it make noise on any other road? Is it due to the fact that I didn’t get an alignment? I can tell the car needs one, but I didn’t think it would be detrimental to drive in the mean time.

The axles have some play, but they don’t click in turns or anything, but the new hubs and bearings feel so smooth when driving, that it made me realize how worn the rest of the front end suspension is
Concrete highway or Asphalt paving? If it was a concrete highway most likely it's the groves they made in the concrete to channel water that is causing the humming noise you hear.