2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on painting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Question Need some advice on painting?

Ok, so I just got some aftermarket side skirts for my 2nd gen Taffeta White Fit. It's a base model and I wanted to add the side skirts to make the car look a little more sporty. They don't come painted so it looks like I'll have to paint them myself. This is the first time I'm attempting this sort of car body modification. From what I've read so far I think the painting process is something like this: sand -> wash off -> primer -> base color -> clear coat.

Not sure if this really matters but the side skirts I bought are fiberglass reinforced plastic (they have some flexibility). If someone has some experience in painting can you recommend a type of primer for it? And where do I go to buy a base color that would closely match the Taffeta White?

Thanks

Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Go light on the sanding or you'll have sanding marks.

If you've never done this before, prepare for it to be a learning experience. I don't think anyone could type enough here to give advice. Maybe try Youtube?

For the paint, don't go for a close match. Either use the exact color from a place like https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ or pick a contrast color. A color that is close, but barely off will not look good.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
I think that you also have to apply some sort of treatment when you paint on plastic as otherwise the paint will crack. Might be an additive to add to the paint...
Just know there is something special, but not what exactly...

Old 11-06-2018, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Frenzal
I think that you also have to apply some sort of treatment when you paint on plastic as otherwise the paint will crack. Might be an additive to add to the paint...
Just know there is something special, but not what exactly...
You are speaking of flex agent. That may or may not be needed depending on the paint they choose, but you are correct.

There's also additional prep with OEM panels. Aftermarket ones usually come primed and basically ready to paint after a light wet sanding. OEM body panels come bare and require special treatment.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks GAFIT, I did not know there's a place that have the exact color. I will give them a try. I think my parts did come with a black primer coating. So ... maybe I only need their base color and clear coat in my case. They also sell something called plastic adhesion promoter and of course the primer and it seems to me that they are necessary only if the metal or plastic parts were bare.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:22 AM
you pretty much got the steps right, except the final sand/ buff (most labor intensive but rewarding).

it is possible to do this with spray paint, but with something that big i would just pay to have them painted by a shop. if you dont have experience, things probably wont go well..and then you will have to buy more supplies or pay someone to do it anyways. I have a lot of experience playing with spray paint, and I would be hesitant to do the skirts with a can. and though the side skirts are probably too big of a job for spray paint in my opinion, they are doable since they dont have a very big flat surface, like, say a door. a person can never lay a spray paint can finish as thick as a paint gun can, with the paint or the clear...which not only affects the look, but also durability. you want thick paint and clear coat down there as its exposed to everything the tires fling up.

i recently did my rear garnish. heres the link to the post, check it out and the following one. it was also bordering "too large to do with a paint can" in my opinion with its large flat surface. i pulled it off, but i wont be painting any car parts that big with a spray paint again any time soon. unless the duplicolor clear coat doesnt hold up that is. i wanted to give the duplicolor clear a chance, but had i known how much work the clear coat was going to take to look good with all its orange peel and spitspat crap, i would have just got the USC clear coat. the whole deal took a couple of hours painting. a week to dry enough to safely sand, then another couple of hours sanding and buffing.

a rough estimate to do 2 side skirts would look something like this...
1 can of primer or adhesion promoter = $10
2 cans of duplicolor matching paint = $20 ($10 each)
2 cans of duplicolor clear or 1 can USC 2k clear (recommended) - $20
3 packs of sandpaper (600, 1000, 2000) for prep and then sand/buff clear) - $20
1 container of some sort of polishing compound - $10
ebay drill buff pads - $10
=$90

dont forget all the time it takes to do layers of paint and clear, with dry time between each. and the final sand and buff.

long story short, if you dont mind spending money and time "practicing", give it a try. you might luck out. but personally id practice on something smaller and cheaper. sanding and painting sucks. it sucks x10 when you have to correct a failed attempt. if u can find a decent shop to drop them off at and pay $150-200 bucks total...to properly paint, clear, sand and buff....let them deal with it. if you try it and screw up, you will most likely have to pay more to have them remove your attempt.

either way good luck, and post your finished skirts!

Last edited by eulogy; 11-07-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Have you called around to any body shops? Maybe just get a feel as to how much they might charge to paint the pieces for you?

If you've never done that work before, and you want it to look good?
It might be worth the investment.
Plus, I think if you are actually bringing just the piece in? Just one piece to be painted, you might be able to find a place willing to do it relatively cheaply.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
It's been a while ... but here is how she looks now. Wheels are 16 inch MSW Type 86. It is also lowered with Tein Street Basis Z Coilver Kit.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:08 PM
10 months painting side skirts is crazy dude. but not bad for a noob.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Haha ... painting them didn't take me 10 months. But after doing one upgrade it led me to another and another ... so I didn't bother taking a picture of the car until now.