2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Driver window goes 'CLANK' full up

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Unhappy Driver window goes 'CLANK' full up

I have an '09 Fit whose driver window goes 'CLANK' when it fully closes (electric window). It started after I had a plastic tint put on. The dealer says the tint installer screwed it up and it's not under warranty now. He says it's something in the mechanism and they'd need to remove the door panel to inspect and fix. Tint man is out of business.

So, choice is pay dealer a bundle to fix or remove the panel and inspect and fix myself.

Any ideas? Anyone have this happen?

Allen

Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
I'd go for inspecting it yourself. If you find out what the clank is coming from it may be an easy fix and save you a lot of money. Don't be afraid to diagnose and possibly fix something. You learn loads. :-)

Old 05-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Question

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't mind doing it myself but I don't know how to remove the door panels. Everything these days is snapped on and I don't know where to pull what. Any ideas where I can get that info.

Allen

Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 PM
trim piece under master switch comes off first (just pull) and then pull up master switch. then you'll see three screws that holds door panel. Then gently pull door panel towards you. I'm sure you can find step by step with pictures if you search =]
Fit had master switch recall not too long ago. I've done plenty

Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks. I haven't gotten any recall notices yet. I'll see if I can get the panel off but what will I see that may be causing the clunk? Some one from another forum suggested that it could be from the rubber trim at the bottom edge of the window. That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:02 PM
yea recalls are for older models. It's good not to get it . I wish I heard the "clank" to fully understand where it's coming from... But since mechanic says it's coming from mechanism, let's not ignore them. I wouldn't take it out myself at this point. take it to them and let them fix it before it's too late. I'm sure it wont cost much

Old 05-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Sounds like you're a Honda mechanic.
To try to locate the clunk/clank, I have raised the window within 1/8 to 1/4 inch to the top. No sound. It's the last bit that it makes the clunk. There's nothing there but rubber so I don't get it. It may be going to high and bangs on the top edge. Or a cam in the raising mechanism is doing it. The person who suggested to me that it was the rubber on the door sill at the bottom doesn't make sense either.
That's all I can tell you. If a light bulb goes off, let me know. I don't know where you are in the world but here in southern California, all the dealers are thieves. I'm guessing this would run $200 at a dealer.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by tourretired
Sounds like you're a Honda mechanic.
To try to locate the clunk/clank, I have raised the window within 1/8 to 1/4 inch to the top. No sound. It's the last bit that it makes the clunk. There's nothing there but rubber so I don't get it. It may be going to high and bangs on the top edge. Or a cam in the raising mechanism is doing it. The person who suggested to me that it was the rubber on the door sill at the bottom doesn't make sense either.
That's all I can tell you. If a light bulb goes off, let me know. I don't know where you are in the world but here in southern California, all the dealers are thieves. I'm guessing this would run $200 at a dealer.
I do work for Honda this is my gf's fit and just going around helping out Honda crews. anyways are you SURE the noise is coming from top of your window, and not regulator(mechanism that moves up and down the window) inside door panel?
I doubt it's your window glass noise. Window glass is surrounded by HUGE "U" shape rubber "run channel" around them. Im pretty sure it's regulator.
Screws on regulator might be loose. I would start from there. to check this, again, simply take off door panel and check all the 10mm bolts.
let me know what you find

Old 05-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by F!TzME
I do work for Honda this is my gf's fit and just going around helping out Honda crews. anyways are you SURE the noise is coming from top of your window, and not regulator(mechanism that moves up and down the window) inside door panel?
I doubt it's your window glass noise. Window glass is surrounded by HUGE "U" shape rubber "run channel" around them. Im pretty sure it's regulator.
Screws on regulator might be loose. I would start from there. to check this, again, simply take off door panel and check all the 10mm bolts.
let me know what you find
That makes more sense. I won't be able to get to it for a month as I'm going on the road in our RV but I'll try when I get back.
Thanks for that idea.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
not a problem! hope you get that fixed asap. I know its really annoying, even a simple clank sound like that =( good luck!!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks again for your help.