2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Threw a CEL - No scan tool, troubleshooting needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Threw a CEL - No scan tool, troubleshooting needed

I have a DIY SRI similar to Lyon's, with the MAF intact inside the cut out section of the factory airbox. I also have a custom 2.25" catback exhaust installed from a muffler shop.

I installed Denso IK22 Iridium spark plugs about two days before now. They are the IK22's, so they are one heat range colder than the stock IK20/NGK plugs. I don't think this could be the problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning for the sake of mentioning.

I was in a parking lot, and it's about 30 degrees outside. All of a sudden, a CEL comes out as I start the car. Which leads me to believe it's not exhaust/O2 sensor related, considering I had a 1993 Del Sol that would require the O2 sensor to properly warm up before it would throw a CEL for an O2 sensor.

The strange part is, the car ran perfectly fine. It didn't seem sluggish, it was it's usual self.

Could it be just the fact that I have this SRI installed (The filter is located in the section of the engine bay behind the air induction scoop on the underside of the hood--you can touch the filter, and it's still cold.), and the IAT sensor reads a parameter outside of stock spec, and causes a CEL?

I have not disconnected the battery for 10 minutes yet and let the car idle. I plan to do that tomorrow first thing and see if it eradicates that problem. Just wanted to know if I was on the right track, and don't have to worry about any other concerns. I also found a thread on how to check your own codes without a scan tool, but I am a little concerned on how that goes without damaging something. I have seen a similar problem with intakes and CEL's, but I have not seen one like this where the car throws one after several hundred miles of driving with the intake installed, and throwing a CEL as soon as it's started. Considering I've reset the computer when I installed the intake, and when I had the exhaust done.

Last edited by kurisux92; 01-09-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Update:

I reset the computer by unhooking the negative battery connection for 10 minutes, did the idle re-learn in 20 degree weather outside, and the CEL went away.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:19 PM
How do you check codes w/out a code reader? Point to thread?

Check you gas cap? With your eliminating the CEL, if issue exists it will return, but I'm still interested in checking code question.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Disconnecting the negative cable only erases the stored random access memory which is the timing correction, short/long term fuel trims and any other correction made by the ecu. You still need a scan tool to make sure the code is erased. There are 5 perimeters that the ecu needs set for the car to pass emissions and to run right.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
I have not checked the gas cap, but come to think of it, I had filled up the tank that night just before it came on.

And as for the computer, I'm aware, but I would think it would come up with a CEL since the conditions were about the same, but the parameters weren't set.

Then again, I'm just a white teenage boy with no job and still in high school. I could most definitely be wrong. I will go check that cap.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
How do you check codes w/out a code reader? Point to thread?

Check you gas cap? With your eliminating the CEL, if issue exists it will return, but I'm still interested in checking code question.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ight=diy%2Bcel

it's super easy..just short the same connectors via a paperclip and turn the ignition to ON II (don't start)

then the CEL will flash... write down/remember how many long flashes (first) and how many short flashes (second). consult the list in the thread for what CEL code is throwing.

worked for me today