2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Curious about thermostat and dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Curious about thermostat and dash lights

I don't have any problem with my car (2013 base Fit 5AT), but I'm just curious about something and I figure you car-techie types would know this -- Obviously, this car lacks a regular coolant temp gauge. I'm not interested in hanging extra gauges off the dash - I've never tweaked or added to my cars. But I'm wondering how one is supposed to know if the thermostat happens to go bad? If a Fit's thermostat gets stuck open, I'm guessing it would still get warm enough (especially in Texas) for the little blue light to turn off, wouldn't it? So, how would I know there was a problem besides maybe getting vaguely bad gas mileage or something? Is the blue light set to turn off hot enough that any stuck thermostat will result in that light behaving oddly?

Old 11-22-2013, 02:05 PM
There's also a red "H" light, you just don't normally see it. Look down next time you light the dash up when you turn the key to II position and you will see it. It will let you know if you're running hot.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
There's also a red "H" light, you just don't normally see it. Look down next time you light the dash up when you turn the key to II position and you will see it. It will let you know if you're running hot.
Well, yes - I've seen that (at start-up). But I'm thinking more on the cold or luke-warm end of things. Does that blue light turn off way too early, and a lot of Honda Fits are running around with not-warmed-up engines because they're stuck OPEN but the blue light is already out, so the driver just doesn't know?

Old 11-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Ah, here's a good thread covering that:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...long-heat.html