DIY: Bose Tweeter upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
thanks

desmond,

thanks for that inf, even though you scared me at first so I know nothing of ohms.

So let me ask: would that be the case for the stock speakers as well?

shortly after this mod introduced me to soldering, I replaced the head unit and while I'm happy with it generally, I feel the stock speakers are now a weak link....

truthfully I felt the stock HU did a better job of balancing sound so that vocals dont get lost in bass and highs....I've gone flat on the eq and everything sounds low....

so it took forever to get a custom ew setting I like but the stock head unit did this easily (low 3 high 5)

what is your take on this?

Old 11-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by Santiad
desmond,

thanks for that inf, even though you scared me at first so I know nothing of ohms.

So let me ask: would that be the case for the stock speakers as well?

shortly after this mod introduced me to soldering, I replaced the head unit and while I'm happy with it generally, I feel the stock speakers are now a weak link....

truthfully I felt the stock HU did a better job of balancing sound so that vocals dont get lost in bass and highs....I've gone flat on the eq and everything sounds low....

so it took forever to get a custom ew setting I like but the stock head unit did this easily (low 3 high 5)

what is your take on this?
No. The stock head unit is 4-ohm just like after market. Now had you run an aftermarket amp on either deck by-passing the decks power, you have the option to run 4-ohm or 2-ohm. Most external amps set on 2-ohm, the power goes up by 30 to 40% per channel compared to the same amp on 4-ohm.

I worked for 2 audio stores and before I even go through the decks we carry, I ask if the have a real cd not cd-r of a good band/song they really enjoy. To go get it to test the decks out. Leave eq flat, bass at 0, and treble at 0. See which deck produces the best sound to them. Everyones ears are different. I always take in a classical or jazz cd. I don't listen to that 24/7 but those genres always play the full range to the ear. I like genre's that have a lot of low's/mid's but also highs. I'm more about balance than doing 2 12's w/o doing anything to mids/highs. Do this if you don't mind. Get a CD you bought from a store whether classical or a female artist with a lot of vocal range like Mariah etc. drive to a quiet area. Roll the windows up and listen to a track with everything at 0 and no add-on turned on from the deck. Play it at 3/4 the max for example stock deck vol at max is 40 so turn it to 30 (3/4 of total). This should really help you to prevent distortion. Written song you download at say 128kb/s will be way clearer and less muddy than say 64kb/s o the higher quality download will be a larger file but better sounding. pm me if you wanna call me to further opine.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:08 AM
The stock deck will not handle a two ohm load. Make sure that if you put Bose speakers in the doors, that your deck can handle 2 ohms stereo or as was said, use an external amplifier that is capable of this load.

That said, I believe it to be an enormous waste of time running Bose speakers in your doors as they are absolute junk. I would say the same about their tweeters as well but I don't want to offend anybody. LOL.

If you are going through the trouble of upgrading your front speakers then put some thought into it! Get some speakers that will actually sound decent. You don't have to spend a fortune...just a couple hundred bucks on something nice. I won't tell you what our shop does with used Bose speakers.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:53 AM
If the Bose door speakers are 2 Ohm, wouldn't the tweeters that are being installed be 2 Ohms as well?