2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

I'm scared

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
I'm scared

I'm scared, I installed my swift springs with a friend the other day. We didn't have power tools to tighten everything. I just want everything to be safe so I can go a long road trip with a piece of mind, does anyone have any idea how to make sure everything is tight. I'm talking all the torque stuff involved at the top two right corners, and sway link bars and attachment to struts.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Get a Torque wrench and a list of torque specs. Your local autoparts store will have some cheapies. They are far from great, but will do what you need.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by pandayun
does anyone have any idea how to make sure everything is tight.

You shouldn't be using power (air) tools to tighten anything on your car. They tend to drastically over-tighten bolts.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Funkster
Get a Torque wrench and a list of torque specs.
Originally Posted by Potenza
You shouldn't be using power (air) tools to tighten anything on your car. They tend to drastically over-tighten bolts.
Both of these responses are spot on. Air tools are for removal really. Go get a decent torque wrench, you will use it a lot, so it's a good investment.

You should shake down the car anyway before your trip, listen for any clanks or anything that doesn't sound natural.

First time doing auto work like this?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
You would be surprised how much torque the human can produce with hand tools. Most of the time, its too tight by hand.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
You would be surprised how much torque the human can produce with hand tools. Most of the time, its too tight by hand.
This is also very true and something I was returning to this thread to point out. If you are worried about it now you probably were when doing the work. So it is likely they are over tight if anything.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Potenza
^^^ yeah, that.
Originally Posted by JCrimson
^^^ and that, again!

x 3 on the torque wrench suggestion even if you just use it for tire rotations. It's a great tool to have, I just got mine a few months ago. From the reviews, and the price it's the best bang for the buck. ---> Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive TW605 Torque Wrench: Automotive

Speaking of which, does anyone know how to check if a torque wrench is properly calibrated? and where does one go to get it calibrated (and price)? I got a hand me down old torque wrench given to me years ago, thinking about getting it checked out.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
^^ yea there is a way to check calibration, but I don't know where to get one at. Its a scale, you set your wrench to a set number lets said 100ft lbs and you torque down on the scale, When you reach the set torque on your wrench the scale should match +/-. I had one check out by a snap on rep. A year ago, If it doesn't match then depending on who makes it you can send it in to get recalibrate.

Also Pandayun if you don't want to buy a torque wrench right now, you can most likely rent one from a parts store. But like everyone else Said you should get one, since it looks like you'll be doing your own work on your car.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Ur good bro i been hand tighting my suspen for the longest nothings feel off or gone rong yet lol shit nock on wood lol but i daliy canyon my eg its all hand done just say my 2 cents cant never go rong with the torq spec tho i need one too lol grr

Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Sears routinely puts their 'click type' torque wrenches on sale for about $50. Decent quality.

Blue (Medium) Loctite also solves a lot of concerns regarding loosening. Don't use the Red (high Strength) unless you are certain you'll never take apart again.

John