2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

New Wheel Gunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 PM
New Wheel Gunk

Alright I need some help. I just bought and received new tires mounted on wheels and there is some kind of protectant on them that I cannot get off with just regular soap. Does anyone know what can take that stuff off with out damaging the tires or wheels?

Also I bought the TPMS sensors with the package and I guess I need to get them reset to my car. Is there a way I can do this or do I need to take it to a shop to have it done?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Is the gunk around the edge of the rim? If so, that's just grease that they use when they mount tires so it slips into place.

And as for new TPMS, you need to take it to the shop to get it programmed.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Not sure from your description whether the gunk is on the wheel or the tire, but Stoner's Tarminator is a useful mild solvent that will likely remove the stuff. I used it to remove the adhesive residue from my car that the dealer failed to clean up prior to delivery, and I also use it to remove tire dressing. Spray it into a towel rather than directly onto the surface that needs cleaning.

I went to Big O Tires to have the TPMS sensors on my new wheels initialized. It only took them 5 minutes or so to do it and they didn't charge me. It looks like NTB is an equivalent store in VA. The dealer wanted $145 to do it.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Cliff
Not sure from your description whether the gunk is on the wheel or the tire, but Stoner's Tarminator is a useful mild solvent that will likely remove the stuff. I used it to remove the adhesive residue from my car that the dealer failed to clean up prior to delivery, and I also use it to remove tire dressing. Spray it into a towel rather than directly onto the surface that needs cleaning.

I went to Big O Tires to have the TPMS sensors on my new wheels initialized. It only took them 5 minutes or so to do it and they didn't charge me. It looks like NTB is an equivalent store in VA. The dealer wanted $145 to do it.
Thanks Cliff. Yeah after i bought my fit the TPMS light came on and I had taken it to a different dealer than where I bought it and they told me that they were going to charge me the cost of labor to look and reset the TPMS. I was blown away since at that time I didnt even have 100miles on it yet and told them that I had just bought it the day before. I will take it to NTB and see what they say since there is one right up the road from my house.

As for the tire gunk, I am not sure what it is exactly. I think its some kind of protectant from the shipping and there is some kind of yellow paint on them on the sidewalls. I will try the to look around for that stuff or maybe I can ask NTB if they can just clean them real quick... but I think asking too much they might charge me.. Oh well it needs to be done cause its bothering me big time.