3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Intake void manufacture warranty

Old 06-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Intake void manufacture warranty

Does anyone know if install an AEM cold air intake system will void Honda’s warranty? I have an after market exhaust on and would like to have a little better system going to get better performance.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2019, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
The Magnuson–Moss warranty act puts the burden of proof on Honda. If there is an issue or failure, Honda would have to reasonably prove that it was caused by the intake in order to deny a warranty claim.

The warranty is not automatically voided when you install an intake.

*Edit" I am not an attorney and the above should not be taken as legal advice. Modify your car at your own risk.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by sneefy
The Magnuson–Moss warranty act puts the burden of proof on Honda. If there is an issue or failure, Honda would have to reasonably prove that it was caused by the intake in order to deny a warranty claim.

The warranty is not automatically voided when you install an intake.

*Edit" I am not an attorney and the above should not be taken as legal advice. Modify your car at your own risk.

Appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-08-2019, 06:32 PM
I have personally known people who had cold air intakes either destroy the MAF sensor (he was lucky) and also hydrolock their motors. None of these incidents are in a Fit.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
I have personally known people who had cold air intakes either destroy the MAF sensor (he was lucky) and also hydrolock their motors. None of these incidents are in a Fit.
I’ve heard the same thing. My understanding is an Air Bypass valve will keep the water out. I am very hesitant to do it but I feel like it will help the exhaust I have

Old 06-09-2019, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Matt Van Riper
I’ve heard the same thing. My understanding is an Air Bypass valve will keep the water out. I am very hesitant to do it but I feel like it will help the exhaust I have
1) THIS is the AEM Cold Air Intake System. It is NOT a cold air intake system. They term it cold air because of the 'heat shield' that is underneath the air filter. It will not shield heat from being sucked into your intake.

2) It will not suck in water because it is sitting in your engine bay by the throttle body. No bypass valve needed.
3) Trust your gut feeling on voiding the warranty and do not purchase it. You will be taking a chance that a dealership will give you problems/issues based on your intake. You can challenge them if they did make an assumption that it was a cause of whatever problem you may have in the future.
4) It will complement your exhaust with sound. As for hp, the AEM air filter is located in one of the worst areas it can be at (over the transmission, towards the firewall). It will suck in a lot of hot air, especially when you are sitting idle in traffic. You will accelerate slower than you would with a stock intake.

All said, am I trying to discourage you from purchasing it? No! If you really like it despite all that is said above, enjoy it. Nothing wrong with purchasing it.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 06-09-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
1) THIS is the AEM Cold Air Intake System. It is NOT a cold air intake system. They term it cold air because of the 'heat shield' that is underneath the air filter. It will not shield heat from being sucked into your intake.

2) It will not suck in water because it is sitting in your engine bay by the throttle body. No bypass valve needed.
3) Trust your gut feeling on voiding the warranty and do not purchase it. You will be taking a chance that a dealership will give you problems/issues based on your intake. You can challenge them if they did make an assumption that it was a cause of whatever problem you may have in the future.
4) It will complement your exhaust with sound. As for hp, the filter is not located in one of the worst areas it can be at (over the transmission, towards the firewall). It will suck in a lot of hot air, especially when you are sitting idle in traffic. You will accelerate slower than you would with a stock intake.

All said, am I trying to discourage you from purchasing it? No! If you really like it despite all that is said above, enjoy it. Nothing wrong with purchasing it.

Thanks, I am still learning about engines. I appreciate your help. Do you know by chance if this will cause any issues with sensors or other parts of the car?

Last edited by Matt Van Riper; 06-09-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Matt Van Riper
Thanks, I am still learning about engines. I appreciate your help. Do you know by chance if this will cause any issues with sensors or other parts of the car?
It will not cause any problems with sensors or other parts of the car.