Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Dealer Response to Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Dealer Response to Intake Question

Before adding any aftermarket parts, I decided to contact my Honda dealer and ask them about the warranty issue. I have read the legal info from SEMA on the subject, so I know that the dealer can not refuse warranty work on the car unless they can prove that the problem was explicitly caused by the aftermarket part. However, this is the email conversation with my dealer thus far:

---- Original Message ----

Hey Dan,

One question... I am interested in squeezing out some extra horsepower, but do not want to void the warranty in any way. Specifically, I am interested in a Fujita short ram intake, Tanabe Medallion Touring axle back exhaust, and Tanabe GF210 lowering springs.

Do you know if the above parts would void the warranty in any way? If you are not sure, could you refer me to someone who would know?

Thanks!
Paul

---- Reply ----

Paul,

Well, here's what I found out. Honda's factory rep and our service manager agree that the intake setup would definitely void your engine warrranty. There are ways around it and I will get back with you on that. Take care.

Dan

----------------------------

I will post future replies as well.

Paul
Sport, SSM, AT

Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Wow, I got a totally different story from my dealership. My local dealership said if the intake/exhaust etc... was the cause of the engine trouble then yes it will void the warranty. IE driving through deep water with a CAI. At any rate just keep your stock parts and change them back before you take it to the dealer if you run into trouble down the road.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
WTF? Sounds like some bullhonky!

THE ONLY way mods SHOULD/could void your warranty is if they are the actual cause. (Which is supposed to be up to them to prove.)

Old 07-23-2006, 01:38 AM
they have to prove it caused the problem, it won't void your warranty anyways, your warranty just wouldn't be valid for that specific issue if they can prove the intake did it. don't worry about it, this subject comes up everytime a new vehicle comes out from people looking to mod them...it's not an issue...but a dealer can deny warranty work but you can always just go to another.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
What's the difference with AEM? I believe in the past, I remember Honda was offering AEM intake for the civic and some other parts. I think it was in 2000 or so.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
No aftermarket part or accessory that is properly installed on your vehicle will entirely void your original vehicle manufacturers warranty. According to the provisions in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, It is the dealership's responsibility to prove that your modification directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:46 PM
The dealer doesn't have to prove anything when you bring the car in for work. They can refuse service at any time. It would then be up to you to take them to court and then their obligation to prove causation between the aftermarket part and the damage begins.

First off, dealers know you'll never actually take them to court. They get threatened with this all the time, and I'd imagine maybe 1 in 100 people probably follow through after their temper tantrum wears off.

Second, even if it did go to court, who is the judge/jury going to believe?? The consumer who mucked around installing things on his own, or the dealer who can rely on manufacture spec to explain why the factory didn't install that cold-air intake and k&n filter in the first place.

The only upside for the consumer is that an entire warranty can't be 'voided'. Only the portions that the modification may have effected. So, your power window fails, it will still be covered even if you have a turbocharger installed.

Also, note that removing parts and returning to stock isn't fool proof. If the dealer sees that the bolts on the exhaust look like they've been removed, your car has other mods (suspension, wheels), basically all the signs that you may have had an intake/exhaust, etc. on there - they can still tell you to pay or go home.

Best strategy is to either a.) stay stock b.) be honest and try to have a good relationship w/ your service manager to he/she will do warranty c.) if you mod, be prepared to pay.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
or better yet...if you have an intake on, just take it off when you go in for service. Honestly, it takes all of about 5 minutes to pull it off.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
yeah.. 1 hour to put on 5mins to take off ehe