3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Testing waters on potenial group by for 'Cold Air Scoop'

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
So dyno plans are off, then?

While this looks like an excellent cold air intake, you won't see much ram effect until something like 90mph. It's been a while, but I remember reading motorcycle articles when ram air was the latest thing, and they went through the actual pressure calculations. Made sense for sportbikes on the track, something like 5 percent actual horsepower gained from the ram effect alone. Cruising at freeway speed was a different story.

Piece actually looks good, though. I think I might try to make something similar out of fiberglass, but if I didn't have all the stuff on hand to do so, the price isn't unreasonable. Regardless of how simple it might look when it's done, the cost of the tooling is still significant.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
So dyno plans are off, then?

While this looks like an excellent cold air intake, you won't see much ram effect until something like 90mph. It's been a while, but I remember reading motorcycle articles when ram air was the latest thing, and they went through the actual pressure calculations. Made sense for sportbikes on the track, something like 5 percent actual horsepower gained from the ram effect alone. Cruising at freeway speed was a different story.

Piece actually looks good, though. I think I might try to make something similar out of fiberglass, but if I didn't have all the stuff on hand to do so, the price isn't unreasonable. Regardless of how simple it might look when it's done, the cost of the tooling is still significant.
Im trying to justify dynoing with the current car setup, but at about $130 Not sure if I'll see significant numbers compared to when I have a couple more bolt ons installed. Unless someone knows of affordable dyno base runs in the bay area. And yes, cost of tooling was the high cost driver.

So to all, I have confirmed the price for each for the 10 units group buy. It will be $150 priority shipped to you. Lead time after the order is put in should be 12 working days (build > shipped from taiwan to singapore > pkg shipped to me > shipped to you).

I will restart the interest list for committed buyers. Paypal is key!

Thanks

Old 08-11-2017, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
This morning's MPG commute observation.

Place: i880-S
Outside Temp: 64F
MPG Distance Recorded: 20mi (freeway only, maintained 65mph 95% of the drive)
Best MPG Recorded: 49.1

I haven't seen these mpg numbers on the highway before, i've only been able to reach as high as 41mpg. I will test again with it back to stock air duct to make sure i'm not trippin. Lol.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by idroveacamry
curious to see more about this mpg

i avg'ed 46mpg from socal to san jose going 75-80 lol with 15'' wheels and sticky tires
Welp, I have one available if you are interested and dont want to wait until the group buy comes together. I'm done testing it for fitment and functionality.

PM me for more info.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
That is one very cool modification. I am no longer in the Fit modifying game as I've done everything I wanted to the Fit but this would've definitely on my list of to do's.

I have the J's Racing front aftermarket front ram-air grill, which doesn't even fit. It looks horrible if you look closely but it did the job. This is much cleaner and actually fits (pun intended) our vehicles. Great modification as the stock piece in that location actually blocks the air going up to it.

Been driving like this for three years with no problems from water ingestion. I plan on selling my Fit in November/December. Otherwise, this would be a perfect upgrade.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
That is one very cool modification. I am no longer in the Fit modifying game as I've done everything I wanted to the Fit but this would've definitely on my list of to do's.

I have the J's Racing front aftermarket front ram-air grill, which doesn't even fit. It looks horrible if you look closely but it did the job. This is much cleaner and actually fits (pun intended) our vehicles. Great modification as the stock piece in that location actually blocks the air going up to it.

Been driving like this for three years with no problems from water ingestion. I plan on selling my Fit in November/December. Otherwise, this would be a perfect upgrade.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for sharing your 2 cents sir!

Old 08-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Very interesting piece. Is the group buy still a go or has there been not enough interest to move forward?

Old 08-21-2017, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jungle168
Very interesting piece. Is the group buy still a go or has there been not enough interest to move forward?
So I started a new thread so its in the proper sub forum:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gaug...-duct-gk5.html

I can throw your name on the list, but so far, no one else has confirmed an Actual Commitment to Buy.

But FYI, I have an extra used for testing I can sell you if you cant wait for the group by to come together. PM me for details.

Cheers

Old 08-21-2017, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly I think $150 is too much for me to pay for the scoop. I'd probably pay $80 for it but that would be my limit and even then I think that's too much. It's one thing paying $180 for an aftermarket intake when you've got the tubing, brackets and the actual paper filter that comes along...

Old 08-26-2017, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
5) Gains in HP/TQ feel minimal, i wont be able to tell w/o dyno. I dont think there is a need to. With a more free flowing exhaust, and the catless dp, i think most of the additional power will be unlocked there, not so much on the intake side unless you consider throttle body+injector upgrades.
Do not underestimate your intake. I made a whole thread on this with multiple custom intake made and tested. Changing the intake from stock to an homemade intakes netted a 2mph gain in the 1/4 mile and chopped off 2-3/10ths off the 1/4 mile time. The change was significant.

An increase in gas mileage was noticed too, as you have stated, with the addition of a ram-air type setup. Only when I stayed light-footed on the highway. Between 44-47mpg. If I really, really pushed it, I could muster a 48-49mpg on the highway out of it.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmm...am tempted, wondered the same about possible rain ingestion. Dunno, haven't bought any new guitars or gear in a while...I could tell my wife "It's a lot more affordable than the Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust I sprung for last year!!!"

Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Also note, ive blocked off the resonator piping and hole on the bottom portion of the air box for maxumum flow.
Can you give some more detail on this? I saw the resonator piece that goes down towards the ground. How did you block it off? What's the purpose of the resonator on the intake? Is it noise control similar to a resonator on an exhaust?

I don't remember a hole on the bottom portion of the air box, but I'll double check.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Can you give some more detail on this? I saw the resonator piece that goes down towards the ground. How did you block it off? What's the purpose of the resonator on the intake? Is it noise control similar to a resonator on an exhaust?

I don't remember a hole on the bottom portion of the air box, but I'll double check.

+1

is it the hole that is behind the scoop and drops down into the resonator chamber via a long ish pipe?

Old 04-30-2018, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
+1

is it the hole that is behind the scoop and drops down into the resonator chamber via a long ish pipe?
Hole below the Air box with that longish pipe hose goinf to the resognator.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Hole below the Air box with that longish pipe hose goinf to the resognator.

can you share how you took care of it? im tempted to just straight up duct tape over that hole....

Old 05-04-2018, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
This morning's MPG commute observation.

Place: i880-S
Outside Temp: 64F
MPG Distance Recorded: 20mi (freeway only, maintained 65mph 95% of the drive)
Best MPG Recorded: 49.1

I haven't seen these mpg numbers on the highway before, i've only been able to reach as high as 41mpg. I will test again with it back to stock air duct to make sure i'm not trippin. Lol.
what obd2 reader do you use to go with that dash command app?

were you able to test again, with a stock air duct to compare?

Old 06-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Smile Fitmizer

Any updates on when we can order Cold AIR Scoop? and cost?

Old 06-21-2018, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member