3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Tow hitch compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
So with this hitch, only the receiver shows? With other hitches, the whole hitch would be visible below the car?

Old 12-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
So with this hitch, only the receiver shows? With other hitches, the whole hitch would be visible below the car?
Yes, with the Torklift version, the bottom of the receiver is about an inch above the tow hook, putting it at about 9.5 inches up the ground (the tow hook is at about 8.5 inches up). And again, you get a 2" receiver, while no others offer that.

From what I've seen in images, and on cars I've seen on the road, all other hitches have the whole thing visible under the bumper - cross members and receiver.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dbhazz
Yes, with the Torklift version, the bottom of the receiver is about an inch above the tow hook, putting it at about 9.5 inches up the ground (the tow hook is at about 8.5 inches up). And again, you get a 2" receiver, while no others offer that.

From what I've seen in images, and on cars I've seen on the road, all other hitches have the whole thing visible under the bumper - cross members and receiver.
You've convinced me. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
I watched the other thread (as a non-member here) to see where it went, but kept my comments to myself. After seeing your new query, I decided to sign up so I could post.

I got a 2" hitch manufactured for our 2015 Fit through a company called Torklift Central (Torklift Central - EcoHitch® for Honda Vehicles). Our car is actually the one in the video on their website. I did some preliminary drawings for the design, but they did the final design and engineering in order to build it.

I wanted (needed) this hitch to practically disappear, and what they achieved is amazing. I use it for our Thule T2 tray mount bike carrier. I would highly recommend this hitch!
Why did you get the 2" hitch, rather than the 1 1/2"? It must be heavier.

EDIT: Well, that's strange. The 1 1/2" hitch weights 40 lb, and the 2" weighs 30 lb.

Last edited by SilverEX15; 12-20-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
As I've mentioned previously, aesthetics were the most important to me. I also was going to have a hitch made for me no matter what because I already owned the 2" hitch-mount bike carrier, and was not interested in using adapters or extensions to make it work.

This hitch almost disappears below the bumper fascia (and has the most elegant attachment design), whereas all the others hang far below.

So far, all the things I've done to our 2105 Fit are meant to look really subtle and possibly OEM (tint, VG shark fin, etc.).
I am with you on this one. I want it to look "OEM" and completely hidden except for the receiver. Having the hitch installed behind the bumper and attached directly to the bumper mount is a brilliant design. Yeah it cost more but I love the looks of it.

So I will be getting one installed in a few months.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DArkk
I am with you on this one. I want it to look "OEM" and completely hidden except for the receiver. Having the hitch installed behind the bumper and attached directly to the bumper mount is a brilliant design. Yeah it cost more but I love the looks of it.

So I will be getting one installed in a few months.
I ordered one yesterday, but I'm in no rush to get it. I'll be waiting till the warmer weather gets here to install it. I ordered the wiring kit, too. I probably have several old ones lying around, but newer is better.

I'm going to spray the receiver to match the silver of the car, as close as I can can get.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Nice
When I went to pick it up the car from Torklift Central, the first thing I did was insert the Honda 2" receiver plug I had bought a couple of days before. Totally OEM! Even the designer/engineer at Torklift was smiling when I put it in.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Nice
When I went to pick it up the car from Torklift Central, the first thing I did was insert the Honda 2" receiver plug I had bought a couple of days before. Totally OEM! Even the designer/engineer at Torklift was smiling when I put it in.
I'll have to get one of them.

Did you get the black or the chrome? Metal?

Old 12-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I'll have to get one of them.

Did you get the black or the chrome? Metal?
Sorry for not seeing this sooner…

I got the black rubber one with the Honda "H" embossed on it (part number: 08L92-SJC-10014). I've had one for our Volvo for years, and have liked that it protects the end of the receiver and just kind of disappears below the bumper.

I bought mine at the local dealership for about $13, which is cheaper than having one shipped from discount shops.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry for not seeing this sooner…

I got the black rubber one with the Honda "H" embossed on it (part number: 08L92-SJC-10014). I've had one for our Volvo for years, and have liked that it protects the end of the receiver and just kind of disappears below the bumper.

I bought mine at the local dealership for about $13, which is cheaper than having one shipped from discount shops.
That sounds good. I got my wiring from etrailer today.