3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Best bike rack / carrier?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:16 PM
absolute best bike rack - expensive

Unlike many things, there is a clear choice for "best bike rack". It's quite expensive, but search for reviews online, and you'll be convinced.

No straps anywhere. All operating parts are metal. Release ratchets on two levers and open. Pick up bike into tray. Push ratcheting levers to hold tires at each end. That's it.

To remove release levers and open. You do need to stop the bike from falling over. Made in USA.

https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html

Click video.

Adjustable to fit most any bike. A work of mechanical art. People who use bike racks look at you putting a bike on and off, and are impressed.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:23 PM
I have been mulling over which bike rack route to go. Thule finally came out with a Fit Kit (Not Honda related) to fit the 2015 Honda Fit. My problem is my former Thule roof rack components aren't compatible. So I would have to spring for the entirely new complete system for about $500:
Honda Fit Thule Rapid Traverse SILVER AeroBlade Roof Rack 2015- - Rack Outfitters

I would rather go with the Torklift hitch receiver set-up:
http://torkliftcentral.com/rving-and...stomer-reviews

My other problem is that when a bike is on the hitch-rack, it obscures the brake and turn signal lights. Thule sells a light board accessory to solve this problem but it requires a 7 pin trailer plug to be installed.
Thule Light Board 976 - Thule

As mentioned previously in this thread, Honda might take exception to this, thinking I'm towing a trailer, and void my warranty.
Any ideas as how to proceed?

Thanks.

Last edited by trestlehed; 11-30-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: editing
Old 12-01-2015, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
$500 for the roof and a significant reduction in MPG's on the highway. My Dodge Neon w/5spd trans would go from 35 to 25 on the interstate with two bikes. Also bouncing around even more in the wind. And you will hear the bikes up there, I promise.

That is a great looking hitch but I'm not sure the additional $150 is worth it. I do like that it appears to ride higher although that hasn't been a problem for me with nearly 7,000 miles last year with bikes on the back and gear plus a cooler strung from the front seats to the hatch.. The 2" option gives you more rack options but still it has a 200 pound tongue weight. Tongue weight and four bikes worth of leverage are VERY VERY different.

Braking lights.. I've never been worried about it. It would take quite a bit of effort to hide all three lights at one time and the glare they produce. I always make sure my third brake light is properly functioning. The Fit has awesome lights in the back..

And lastly... although I don't like roof racks, especially after selling them for 6 years... it may be the cheapest option, even at $500, if you are thinking about that specific hitch and a quality rack.

Just opinions. Enjoy!