2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Hatch mounted bike racks?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Hatch mounted bike racks?

Hey I'm looking for a bike rack... I really don't want to go with a roof rack nor do I want to put on a hitch for a hitch rack... I want something that's easy to put on and take off. I was thinking about a hatch mounted bike rack, is there anyone running one? Will the sport wing get in the way of the straps? I really like the saris bones 3.... This is for BMX bikes (not that it really matters I think lol) any input would be awesome!

As for now, I guess this will do lol
Name:  6dd356f7.jpg
Views: 2443
Size:  78.8 KB

Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
There are many threads on this subject. You can search for them.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by ricerrr
Hey I'm looking for a bike rack... I really don't want to go with a roof rack nor do I want to put on a hitch for a hitch rack... I want something that's easy to put on and take off. I was thinking about a hatch mounted bike rack, is there anyone running one? Will the sport wing get in the way of the straps? I really like the saris bones 3.... This is for BMX bikes (not that it really matters I think lol) any input would be awesome!

As far as I know there is no hatch racks available. Plus I don't see how they would work due to the spoiler. I would just get a hitch rack. I've had mine for 2 years and love it.

2009 Honda Fit Accessories | etrailer.com

If you only have small bmx bikes I would recommend...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...bike-rack.html

Last edited by Committobefit08; 04-06-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
I believe the wing gets in the way of hatch mounted racks. How often are you needing to put on/take off the rack?

there aren't many inexpensive racks for this vehicle. but you could piece something together off of craigslist. (roof rack).

~SB

Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Damn that sucks... I was really looking forward to a hatch rack, but I can now see how the wing gets in the way of the straps. I still don't want to get a hitch lol, but it looks like it will probably be my best option soo far. As for the ultimate Honda fit bike rack, that thing is pretty cool but I hate taking off my front tire.

SB, I ride about 3-4 times a week, so id prolly put on/take off that many times... As far as a roof rack, I have one on my civic, and I only drive the civic once every blue moon lol, so I could just buy new clips and use that rack, but I'm still iffy about putting a roof rack on the fit...

Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 AM
I'm running a hitch with a Thule T2, one of the most stable and easiest racks I've ever used. The hitch was pretty easy to install also.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Damn that sucks... I was really looking forward to a hatch rack, but I can now see how the wing gets in the way of the straps. I still don't want to get a hitch lol, but it looks like it will probably be my best option soo far. As for the ultimate Honda fit bike rack, that thing is pretty cool but I hate taking off my front tire.

SB, I ride about 3-4 times a week, so id prolly put on/take off that many times... As far as a roof rack, I have one on my civic, and I only drive the civic once every blue moon lol, so I could just buy new clips and use that rack, but I'm still iffy about putting a roof rack on the fit...
With 3-4x/week, you aren't going to want to be taking it on and off the back. You'd also risk more potential rubbing issues on the hatch moving it around that often. I'd highly suggest moving that roof rack over and just leaving it on. I'm putting ours on today for an upcoming trip (had hoped to do it earlier in the week). I just purchased new clips like you stated.

If you did want to keep it inside the car but not deal with removing the wheels, you could pick up an upright carrier and attach it to some plywood or create a "frame" inside the back so you could roll it in, clamp it down, and head out.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 04-07-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
I have a hitch with a swagman platform rack. Drove my mountain bike across country with it this summer and it barely affected the mpg.

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-...2194517&sr=1-1

I have heard the Saris racks are good, too.

Last edited by sooznd; 04-07-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I've got this one...works great for two mountain bikes.
What really sold me on it was the fact the rack actually raises up 2" from the hitch location. Gives plenty of ground clearance for us lowered Fits that still want to haul bikes..haven't scraped yet.

2 Bike Hitch Mounted Folding Rack w Frame Mount Cradles for 1-1/4" Hitch Tow Ready Hitch Bike Racks 63120

Last edited by Committobefit08; 04-07-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by sooznd
I have a hitch with a swagman platform rack. Drove my mountain bike across country with it this summer and it barely affected the mpg.

Amazon.com: Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver): Sports & Outdoors

I have heard the Saris racks are good, too.
I need to get a Class I rack to replace my Class I/II rack. Do you have pictures of your setup and with bikes on it? I've been looking at the Swagman ones for some time.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sometimesjoe
I need to get a Class I rack to replace my Class I/II rack. Do you have pictures of your setup and with bikes on it? I've been looking at the Swagman ones for some time.
Sorry I never took photos with the rack and bikes. I found another thread with someone who has the same setup with great photos.

I sometimes carry two adult bikes or one adult and one child's bike and this rack is easily adjustable to different size bikes.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...bike-rack.html

Old 04-08-2011, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member

Hey awesome. You ride bmx too lol . I've been looking for a rack myself. Let me know what you decide on and if it's any good. I'm looking for something inexpensive but of good quality with easy installation/removal.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by calrose rice
Hey awesome. You ride bmx too lol . I've been looking for a rack myself. Let me know what you decide on and if it's any good. I'm looking for something inexpensive but of good quality with easy installation/removal.
haha awesome! yeah dude i want something good, cheap and easy to put on and off also....but i havent been looking lol.... mainly because it does the job right now as it is haha.... This weekend went on a road trip to Austin, and i was able to fit 2 bikes and luggage with plenty of room to spare...
Name:  fc00bda0.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  62.0 KB

anyways the trip was awesome, as Austin always is...

Name:  900eada3.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  449faced.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  36.0 KB

Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
haha awesome! yeah dude i want something good, cheap and easy to put on and off also....but i havent been looking lol.... mainly because it does the job right now as it is haha.... This weekend went on a road trip to Austin, and i was able to fit 2 bikes and luggage with plenty of room to spare...

anyways the trip was awesome, as Austin always is...

Cool pics man. How is the new Empire spot? Next time I visit Austin I will finally hit up Empire, after visiting for the 4th time... driving all the way from California

Old 05-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by calrose rice
Cool pics man. How is the new Empire spot? Next time I visit Austin I will finally hit up Empire, after visiting for the 4th time... driving all the way from California
its pretty cool, they are still getting situated... and its no longer in downtown area.... haha damn thats a drive!!!!! i really really want to go back this month for Odysseys Texas Toast Jam but i dont know if ill have free time to go