3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Any Danger with LEDS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:58 PM
m_x
Any Danger with LEDS?

I'm wondering if there is any potential damage to the electrical system that can be caused by LEDs?

I used the JTechs that we all used and for the past few days (maybe longer because I don't usually drive at night), the map/dome lights will all intermittently flash on dimly for a split second and then go off. Maybe every 20-30 seconds.

I had a problem with the pancake LED for the cargo area wherein I broke a small piece off the back and had to solder it back on. It worked for a few weeks, but the other day it was flickering badly, so I removed it. I believe that's when I noticed the maps/dome acting up. Just hoping it wasn't some kind of short circuit or something that fried something else in the system.

I am NOT an electrician and blanked out most of my circuitry lessons from physics class... I have no idea where to even begin diagnosing this. I shot a video of it last night, but I want to get a better one. I will post it when I can. I will say that all of the bulbs are tight in their sockets and the fuse looked clean and unbroken. I have no idea

Oh and the headlights and gauge panel is not affected. Just the interior maps, center dome, and probably the cargo area but I can't see it. I first noticed this happening at highway speeds.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x
I'm wondering if there is any potential damage to the electrical system that can be caused by LEDs?

I used the JTechs that we all used and for the past few days (maybe longer because I don't usually drive at night), the map/dome lights will all intermittently flash on dimly for a split second and then go off. Maybe every 20-30 seconds.
It sounds like they are not fully inserted in the socket. It takes some force to get them to become fully seated.

Also, try to pull the pins on the base outwards and sideward a little in case the bulb is slightly loose in socket.

Amazon.com: Jtech 10x 194 168 2825 T10 5-SMD White LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive
I have had these JTechs in for over two weeks and have had no problems at all.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:22 PM
m_x
They are tight in the sockets. The pins are straight too. Plus, they all do it simultaneously.

I've had them in for two months with no problems. This just started happening last week and coincided with the death of the cargo light.

I do appreciate the input, but I don't think that's the issue.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:20 PM
probably just bad led.. just swap them out for some new ones.
i've had some led which base isn't made well
even thou it's tight it loses contact.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by kenji815
probably just bad led.. just swap them out for some new ones.
i've had some led which base isn't made well
even thou it's tight it loses contact.
Ditto, my 10-pack had 2 LED's that were bad.Try swapping with extra's if you have them. For the price of those J-tech bulbs I wasn't surprised.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by m_x

The Jtechs are polarized and only work one way. They have the t10 base and normally the lights don't turn on if inserted backwards. They are very low power and shouldn't damage the electrical system at all. Worst case is the fuse pops. Also LEDS often will have a small "smoothing" capacitor inside them when powered by VAC current to prevent "ghosting" where the light will flicker without it. I've dealt with all these issues on my pinball machine when converting some of its lights over to LEDs. You maybe got a bad batch of Jtech its possible, I'd swap them out and see how the effect is.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 AM
m_x
"Ghosting" is exactly what was happening. As an update, I swapped out the maps with new jtechs from the 10-pack and got two Jtech 24SMD discs for the dome and the cargo light. No more ghosting.

Thanks everyone for weighing in.