3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Bad news for Android users

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Bad news for Android users

I originally posted this on 9thgencivic.com about my 2015 EX, but thought I should share it here, too.

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2265857

Hi everyone -
I have been in touch recently with someone on the Honda corporate communications team. I was asking this person about Honda's plans to extend Hondalink support to Android as promised in a written press releases, in-person demos at auto/tech shows, and by countless dealers. Essentially, Honda began stating in 2013 that within the next year, they would be adding support to the existing Hondalink infrastructure. Here we are in 2015 and there is nothing.

As part of the response, this person wrote "I started diving into this today, and unfortunately, it does not look like the company will be able to add increased Android support to your vehicle." He then went on to explain that cars and mobile tech develop at different paces. The person also asked that I don't divulge their name, since Honda has official customer service channels through which they work.

This is certainly quite a bummer for us Android users. It looks like we'll never see the same basic level of support or integration that iOS devices receive. It's absolutely a shame that Honda would backtrack on promises like this.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:22 AM
Well that is a bummer. I had gone so far as to start looking at aftermarket systems that might fit the same place, offer support for the rear camera/side camera, plus android support. Guess I need to double my efforts. Great.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Please post if you find something. Anything with iOS or Mac will never be owned by me. Bluetooth audio and calls work fine most of the time for me, but having the nav app possibility would be nice for trips.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
Please post if you find something. Anything with iOS or Mac will never be owned by me. Bluetooth audio and calls work fine most of the time for me, but having the nav app possibility would be nice for trips.

nav don't mean squat if we have to pay for it and we have a google map app that's free to use. best bet is to hack the mirror function of the HDMI

Old 01-29-2015, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
nav don't mean squat if we have to pay for it and we have a google map app that's free to use. best bet is to hack the mirror function of the HDMI
Yes, mirroring would certainly be a good solution. It's not ideal (not formatted 100% perfectly for our screens, doesn't pass through touches, doesn't support simultaneous FM radio, etc), but it's better than nothing.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Well, it's not the first time that people have fallen for vaporware.

If it isn't supported when you buy the item it is unlikely that it will ever be supported. Why actually build something when you can get away with promising it, collecting money, and then not building it?

Old 01-31-2015, 01:06 PM
I was led to believe Android Auto and an android connection to HondaLink was just around the corner when I bought my EX. Since then and with my ancient HTC phone being one of few Virgin phones that pair with this car, I see no point in waiting or buying an iPhone I don't want for features I'm not likely to use or navigation that's pricy and not very good in the first place. Especially after a recent fiasco with Honda Roadside Assistance, I'll simply upgrade my Garmin to a new model and be done with it.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't say we are 100% out of luck. I've been following a post over in I.C.E. (which is primarily about the iPhone) but in a general sense it's more about finding a workaround for the system constraints. There have been some interesting findings which point to the hardware being there, but just not the software. I'm assuming that eventually it would be possible for some type of 3rd party adapter or application to be created that would allow for screen mirroring through the HDMI port while the car is in motion. If we aren't getting android auto, this would be a decent substitute.

Here is the post in case anyone is interested:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ossible-4.html

Old 02-02-2015, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
If touch isn't mirrored, there's really no point, IMO. YMMV

Old 02-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by FitFolksinger
I was led to believe Android Auto and an android connection to HondaLink was just around the corner when I bought my EX.
Ah, you forgot to check for signs that the salesman was lying to you. The first sign is to check his lips. If they were moving, he was lying.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Ah, you forgot to check for signs that the salesman was lying to you. The first sign is to check his lips. If they were moving, he was lying.
Of they weren't moving, he must have had a dummy in his lap. ;-)

Edit: I didn't mean the buyer add the dummy.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
In their FAQ about android support, Honda mentioned lack of mirroring protocol support in Android. I thought they are going to support this as soon as this protocol is available in Android. They put it across like it is a some software compatibility issue rather hardware. I guess, they no longer going to support our fits with android.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Hopefully in the next year or so there will be more Android head units on the market with compatible inputs for things like back up cam, lanewatch, and various on screen vehicle displays so it will be an easy upgrade.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Honda, Android, Compatibility - Pick two.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Hey everyone -
Just an FYI, but I had a small bit of progress trying to figure all of this out. I posted it in another thread in the hopes that it would get some attention. Here's a link:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1290791

Old 02-05-2015, 04:15 PM
iPhone 6 It is... :/

Old 04-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Hope is not lost! Quite the contrary, it seems. See my tweet to Honda and their reply:

https://twitter.com/HondaCustSvc/sta...D&refsrc=email

Old 04-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Honda opened a lab in silicon valley that among other things may well be adding Android integration to HondaLink.Will this mean updates to cars they've made and promised this integration? Who knows.
Honda Silicon Valley Lab (HSVL) | News