Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Ok, just to add something, home+menu+ back isnt necessary, it appears if you just firmly(light doesnt work) hold down menu for about 4 seconds anywhere after choosing detail info and setting in the first secret menu. I could only get it to work using my thumb to push harder than the keys normally respond.

Hope this helps

Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by notafitowner
Ok, just to add something, home+menu+ back isnt necessary, it appears if you just firmly(light doesnt work) hold down menu for about 4 seconds anywhere after choosing detail info and setting in the first secret menu. I could only get it to work using my thumb to push harder than the keys normally respond.

Hope this helps
Very cool. Here's another trick - once you get into that second dignostic menu, press and hold Menu one more time to find a THIRD layer of settings! Be careful, though. I went into something related to HD Radio settings (which I wish we had) and tried to enable something. Unfortunately, it just warped my sound and now I'm stuck trying to revert it to normal.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Unhappy Secret Menu killed Lanewatch

I was going through this menu and looking at the settings and now my lanewatch camera shows "Aiming Failed" on a bright red screen. Anyone else accidentaly kill the lanewatch camera or know how to get it back to normal?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Lol now I'm afrade to do anything!

I don'ts wants to break mah new cahr. :{ I don't even have plates on it yet xD

Old 01-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Note to self, don't mess with the secret screens unless one could roll back the settings to normal!! GAH!

Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by GetFit15
I was going through this menu and looking at the settings and now my lanewatch camera shows "Aiming Failed" on a bright red screen. Anyone else accidentaly kill the lanewatch camera or know how to get it back to normal?
Maybe, try looking for a "default" setting in the first menu.

If you changed settings in the first secret menu there are some default options to reset the settings. If you are in the second or third layer its not so simple,you might have to try and remember what you did.

First menu doesn't seem so bad, but second and third are scary. The settings don't really say what they do are easily misinterpreted.

Third menu says it is a Factory Diagnostic Menu. I think all electrical components can be adjusted/tested from the factory through the display.

I wouldn't touch anything in the third menu unless you were 100%.

If all else fails there is this:http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/193362-how-aim-lane-watch-camera.html#/forumsite/20565/topics/193362

Last edited by notafitowner; 01-21-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Found another menu just now. just 2 options in it though:

Inline Diag Setting (Completion or Incomplete)
CSF Setting (On or Off)

after pressing power + home + eject to get first menu, press and hold down home for about 4 seconds.

I'm hoping there is another hidden menu that has the "operation restriction" option like in the accord.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Kind of off topic, does anyone know what the sensor/device that is attached to the back of the 12v/USB/HDMI trim is? All I know is if its unplugged, the car won't go to accessory power and beeps. Is this the keyless ignition sensor or something? Found this out after pulling out the HU to add my line leveler.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by btonetbone
Very cool. Here's another trick - once you get into that second dignostic menu, press and hold Menu one more time to find a THIRD layer of settings! Be careful, though. I went into something related to HD Radio settings (which I wish we had) and tried to enable something. Unfortunately, it just warped my sound and now I'm stuck trying to revert it to normal.
Well, good news! When I turned my car back on after work, the settings I had changed reverted to default and everything sounded great! Hooray for good luck. Too bad I didn't end up magically unlocking some HD radio capabilities, though.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:24 PM
A few pictures of the diagnostic menus

Here are a few pics. Seems CANBUS, speed sensor, and a few switches on the handbrake, reverse gear, and turn signal staulk, all input to the head unit.

@Ducktapemaster, hows your research coming along?? it would seem that PARK-VIDEO and PARK when it has a "0" means it disables the HDMI when the parking brake is released. If it doesn't sense that first, the speed sensor will. FYI, the first two pictures are located under the 'Detail Info and Setting---->Vehicle Status" screen

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 01-22-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
so why does our non navi hu have GPS? Is it only to get date and time info? Seems stupid -_-

Didn't the OP say there was an SD card in there? What would happen if you swapped it with one from a navigation unit? If that works, there should be a way to post an image of it. doesn't solve the original issue but it may make us a bit happier in the meantime! xD

Last edited by naps1saps; 01-23-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
So holding the home button on the first screen of the sub menu has a "CFS Setting" on/off (default on) any idea what CFS means? I dont have time to drag an hdmi device out to see what it does if I turn it off. Anyone want to try it or has tried it?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by naps1saps
so why does our non navi hu have GPS? Is it only to get date and time info? Seems stupid -_-

Didn't the OP say there was an SD card in there? What would happen if you swapped it with one from a navigation unit? If that works, there should be a way to post an image of it. doesn't solve the original issue but it may make us a bit happier in the meantime! xD
I have two assumptions right now about why we have GPS.
  1. Some people have reported that, if you have an accident, our cars will notify the police via Bluetooth & your phone. The GPS will help to give them the info they need to respond.
  2. From a sales/production/inventory/supply-chain perspective, I imagine producing one unit with multiple levels of unlockable functionality is significantly cheaper than producing multiple physically different units. It allows them to upsell buyers with additional features while minimizing their costs.

According to posts earlier in this thread, the SD cards are likely encrypted and feature a handshake that has to be paired to your specific head unit/car. It's not as simple as just swapping them out. Also, the Nav SD cards are well over $600.

Originally Posted by naps1saps
So holding the home button on the first screen of the sub menu has a "CFS Setting" on/off (default on) any idea what CFS means? I dont have time to drag an hdmi device out to see what it does if I turn it off. Anyone want to try it or has tried it?
After Googling, CFS appears to be the crank fluctuation sensor. Probably best to not mess with that one!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Yes the SD cards are encrypted and paired with your car's actual VIN# which is stored in the ECU. If the VIN doesn't match between these two systems the HU will not work. I blacked out in the picture my VIN# but that's essentially what is displayed there.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Well that sucks. Need to figure out the app then. Or Google needs to add Honda link handshake to their maps app xD

I read on the civic forum someone said Honda wants to update the OS to android? Seems unlikely... anyone heard this?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:10 PM
After getting into the Detail Information & Setting (in the first menu), you can go into B-CAN or F-CAN, and hold menu for 4 secs, which will get you into an overview of the diagnostics. I do not know if there is anything special you can tweek there, but that's just from playing around for a little bit.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Figured out how to update the system data. Someone could hack it and release a firmware...eventually. you can also load map data. Anyone have a maps update CD or flashdrive?

Old 01-31-2015, 01:22 PM
Mirrorlink

So I was digging around in the menus and I found some interesting things.

First of all, our cars all support the Mirrorlink 1.1 protocol. That means if you have one of the android phones listed here under version 1.1, all mirrorlink apps should work on the display with full touch functionality. All you need is a USB cable. Mirrorlink uses the VNC protocol so it might be a bit laggy (not suitable for video) but fast enough for maps, etc.

Second, I found that the audio settings for our cars (quite possibly the EQ settings) are stored in a configuration file, so if we can get access to the file system we can quite possible change the EQ which opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

Third, custom color pallets for the touchscreen. The color scheme can be changed by directly altering the color pallet. These settings can be stored via USB. There are thousands of colors however so somebody will have to map which color corresponds with which item on the display.

Forth, Serial Communications are possible. This is a possible vector of attack for jailbreaking.

And lastly, I was poking around the HD radio settings. The tuner in our system has its own microcontroller and firmware. You can interact with it in a menu and mess with the EEPROM directly and I would highly recommend NOT DOING THIS. You can also screw up the sound but as long as you don't mess with the EEPROM it will reset itself when the unit powers down. If your unit does not have HD radio you are out of luck the hardware is simply not there.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Smile Encourgament

Hello Guys,

I just wanted to mention that I am very excited about the steps that have been taken here, in order to figure out a way to enable this feature. Please do not stop researching about this, I am pretty sure there are thousands of people hoping to have the feature enabled. In my case I am looking everyday to see what progress has been done here or anywhere else, and this has been the blog with the greatest progress. I don't have too much knowledge to help in this topic, but I just wanted to thank you guys for the progress that has been done.

Thank you guys.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm posting this here, since this thread has attracted some good minds. It was originally posted as a new thread on 9thgencivics.com
---
Hey everyone -
OK, this might be a long post. I'll start with tl;dr. Despite promises and initial attempts to incorporate MirrorLink 1.1 and enable mirroring between Android phones and our head units, it looks like Honda has failed. It's not just that they aren't implementing, but I believe they tried and just didn't have the engineering prowess to figure it out.

Here are some videos of me showing how I have come to this assumption:
Part 1

Part 2

And an image showing that my phone supports MirrorLink 1.1 (apologies for the size)

So here's the full story. As I stated in an earlier post, I was in touch with someone from Honda corporate who told me that despite all of the previous promises, Honda will NOT be adding support to enable Android integration into our cars. It's also been widely known (assumed?) that our cars have MirrorLink 1.1 support; this is visible inside the diagnostic menus and multiple people have been told this by Honda.

Earlier this week, Verizon pushed out an update to Samsung S5 phones, upgrading the operating system to Lollipop/Android 5.0. I was going through the phone's menus, and noticed that there is a new MirrorLink option in Settings. I also saw elsewhere on the phone (photo above) that it's MirrorLink 1.1. Needless to say, I was VERY excited about what this may mean for us!

I went home, pulled out a USB cable, and tried my hardest to get my phone and car to see each other. Through regular options, I couldn't do anything new. However, when I went into Honda's diagnostic menus (hold Power + Menu + Eject on the car stereo) and then into the Unit Function menu and then down to the MirrorLink menu, I started to see some information.

The MirrorLink menu was reporting that it was seeing my phone! It had basic information about the time/date that it was plugged in and my phone's model. Clicking on the bottom buttons inside that menu, I could see MORE info. Specifically, I could see that the car and phone were trying to connect, but the car was reporting "Parameter Information Error" and some other errors statuses. You can see this in the first video above.

While in that submenu, I unplugged and replugged the USB cord in the bottom of my phone a few times. This is where things get even more exciting! My phone actually entered MirrorLink mode!! Unfortunately, the car was still spitting back error messages. Instead of just showing a "Disconnected" state, though, I started seeing various states such as "Connecting" "Speech Recognition Impossible" and "No Music Application". Additionally, on the car's main menu, the big "Link" icon now reads a new error: "Unable to start the app. When safe, please check your mobile device." You can see this in the second video above. Unfortunately, that's as far as I can get. I couldn't get anything to mirror.

So here's my assumption. Honda's engineers tried to implement MirrorLink and simply failed. We have what are essentially the remnants of their attempt throughout the menus. They won't be upgrading our system because they just simply don't have the software engineers capable. And now I'm just hoping that this is the only engineering fail that they have in our cars...

Hopefully someone else can find out some more info based on this. I still think we are very close to getting this working.

Quick Reply: Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?