Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:47 AM
I'm also interested in an update on this. I'd like to get NAV on my 2015 EX HU with my Galaxy S6.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:55 AM
I have the Galaxy Note 4, just got it, and with Lollipop running I am able to connect to the HU via Mirroring. It shows the edit apps button, but to add any of the apps those buttons are greyed out and unselect able.

So it looks like there is some functionality, but I wonder...

Ducktapemaster....any luck sniffing out the CANBUS data going to the HU?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
iOS 8.3 and Car Play in 2015 Fit

iOS 8.3 is out and claims to have fix connectivity problems with Car Play. I had understood that Car Play was coming out for the 2015 Fit and Civic, but I can find no apps. Is Honda planning to implement and support Car Play. Their ads make this claim, and with iOS 8.3 out, I can so no reason for further delay. Anyone know what the deal is?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Bought the MHL adapter for my new Galaxy Note 4, works great! Competitive cost too!

Amazon.com: Micro USB to HDMI Cable, Rankie® 6.5 feet MHL Micro USB to HDMI 1080P HDTV Adapter Cable with integrated USB Charging Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5, Note 2, Note 3, Note 8.0, Note 10.1,and Other MHL-enabled Smart Phones: Cell Phones & Amazon.com: Micro USB to HDMI Cable, Rankie® 6.5 feet MHL Micro USB to HDMI 1080P HDTV Adapter Cable with integrated USB Charging Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5, Note 2, Note 3, Note 8.0, Note 10.1,and Other MHL-enabled Smart Phones: Cell Phones &

A few issues with the GK:

1. Already known that HDMI mirroring is disabled by the parking brake release, shift selector for CVT, and speed sensor.

2. The MHL adapter requires more current than the HU's USB can provide. The Adapter needs between 1-2A of current. It prevent my phone from charging as current is needed to run the adapter. It causes it drop out. Connecting the USB to a dedicated power adapter for current solves this problem.

Screen Mirroring I'm able to connect with the HU and my Note 4. However I do not have the Hondalink software, and while it links, there re no apps to mirror that are configured to work with the HU.

I still think the best solution is to UN-brick the software to allow HDMI output. To me, I'm not interested in touch screen functionality for Google maps. I know mirrorlink apps is more convenient, but also poses the most complex hack.

Has anyone (who is an IT developer of some degree) been able to allow HDMI to function by ignoring the sensor/CANBUS data input??????

Old 04-17-2015, 02:50 PM
The headunit is integrated into the Car with CANBUS, so the only way to "trick" the headunit into unlocking HDMI is by adding an inline device which would parse the input data, then alter it to trick the headunit into thinking the car is parked.

I think this would be technically impractical and expensive to accomplish.

The Touchscreen has 2 systems that I am aware of that allow Mirroring. First is HDMI mirroring which is used by the iPhone app. This system uses HDMI for the display and bluetooth for audio and 2 way control. The Hondalink app passes a key via bluetooth to the headunit, enabling the display.

Mirrorlink is the second system, and that uses USB networking with IP protocol to pass display data and 2 way control using VNC and audio using RTP. Mirrorlink uses a key system and there are 2 keys. The first key allows mirroring when parked and the second allows the app to work while driving.

The certification process for mirrorlink is apparently a huge pain in the ass so most apps don't have it and therefore don't work properly.

The other problem with mirrorlink is that the factory headunits with mirrorlink 1.1 were developed years before smartphone vendors even started working on this. Manufacturers like Honda only had one prototype smartphone to test against that was running a custom ROM. While the system may work perfectly with the prototype, production phones developed years later have compatibility issues because each car is a little different and each phone is different.

Smartphone vendors have to build the stack for Mirrorlink themselves and there are many different software packages that make up Mirrorlink. They have to be compiled for each phones SOC and work with their respective ROM.

What Mirrorlink is trying to do is very complicated and difficult because of its multi-platform, multi-software nature. Smartphone vendors have a very short development cycle because of the fast paced nature of their industry and they usually ship with bugs. It will take time for them to work these issues out assuming its even a priority for them.

This system can be hacked though. To hack Mirrorlink, you could simply hack a certified app and use its key to unlock the display. This has been done before with Samsung's mirrorlink 1.0 app. This method requires a smartphone with a working Mirrorlink stack. One could also hack into the headunit through the USB network interface.

The other method of hacking is by emulating the Hondalink app via bluetooth to enable HDMI. This would probably be the easiest method but may require a modified ROM on your phone or an external bluetooth device.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by lilB

The other method of hacking is by emulating the Hondalink app via bluetooth to enable HDMI. This would probably be the easiest method but may require a modified ROM on your phone or an external bluetooth device.

I'd rather see someone explore this route. If one were to reverse engineer the hondalink App Bluetooth key to unlock the HDMI display that would be best. Side steps the compatibility with the applications. A BT dongle of some sort would be the most practical. A custom ROM, eh not so much the preferred method.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
I have the Galaxy Note 4, just got it, and with Lollipop running I am able to connect to the HU via Mirroring. It shows the edit apps button, but to add any of the apps those buttons are greyed out and unselect able.

So it looks like there is some functionality, but I wonder...

Ducktapemaster....any luck sniffing out the CANBUS data going to the HU?
I have a samsung S6 which has the built in mirror link & using Sygic mirror link car navigation in Honda Fit/Jazz & its works perfectly. I do not need honda link or anything else to work only usb.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:41 AM
Is there a chance you could upload a video to see it in action?

i would love to see this in motion and audio

Thanks alot for sharing

Old 05-18-2015, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tompzone
Is there a chance you could upload a video to see it in action?

i would love to see this in motion and audio

Thanks alot for sharing
unable to do this for you as I have you use the ipad & its too hard to drive and take a video. when I can get someone to go for a drive with me I may be able to do a video.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Lynne Mangold
I have a samsung S6 which has the built in mirror link & using Sygic mirror link car navigation in Honda Fit/Jazz & its works perfectly. I do not need honda link or anything else to work only usb.

Hey Lynne!

Good stuff! I 2nd for seeing this in action. I see the Sygic app for mirrorlink is free in the Android App store. I'll give it a shot later today. I'm assuming yours is a paid version too?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Lynne!

Good stuff! I 2nd for seeing this in action. I see the Sygic app for mirrorlink is free in the Android App store. I'll give it a shot later today. I'm assuming yours is a paid version too?
yes I did the trial when the maps displayed I paid for the premium version. after 7 days trial you can still use the app but you don't get voice turn by turn.

they say the speed cameras the app has speed camera warnings but nothing shows on my maps.

to check your phone is supported https://cert.mirrorlink.com/Productlisting/
just click on device, pretty sure your note 4 will work. No need for any special cable just your usb lead that came with your phone ..do not use hdmi as this only mirrors your phone and you have use the phone & the app at the same time. With usb the app shows up in the apps on the info unit. Samsung has removed the hdmi function on their newer models so the av adaptor probably will not work. I did try my S5 adaptor and its a different micro connection. the S5 is on the list of phones but I haven't seen anyone who has got their phone working like the S6 or the HTC M9

Last edited by Lynne Mangold; 05-18-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:38 AM
yes I did the trial when the maps displayed I paid for the premium version.....

to check your phone is supported https://cert.mirrorlink.com/Productlisting/
just click on device, pretty sure your note 4 will work. No need for any special cable just your usb lead that came with your phone ..do not use hdmi as this only mirrors your phone and you have use the phone & the app at the same time. ....

I checked my phone's MLID and it is on the list. At this point, having a good navi app that doesn't cost $60 USD and is light-years better than the Hondalink I can live it with. Google maps works great, but not having the mirror ability is a real detractor for me.

Also, my Note 4 (SM-N910V) does work via HDMI/MHL. Here is the one I bought. Only problem is the USB port from the HU does not output enough current to run the adapter and charge the phone. I'm sure there are other adapters that are way more efficient that the HU USB port can handle. I haven't tried disabling fast charging yet, That actually might solve my issue there.

Amazon.com: Micro USB to HDMI Cable, Rankie® 6.5 feet MHL Micro USB to HDMI 1080P HDTV Adapter Cable with integrated USB Charging Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5, Note 2, Note 3, Note 8.0, Note 10.1,and Other MHL-enabled Smart Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Micro USB to HDMI Cable, Rankie® 6.5 feet MHL Micro USB to HDMI 1080P HDTV Adapter Cable with integrated USB Charging Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5, Note 2, Note 3, Note 8.0, Note 10.1,and Other MHL-enabled Smart Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories

Anyways, one more question, will the app work via mirrorlink if I do not pay for the app? I'd hate to light that money on fire only to find out it does not work with my HU.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Fyi, in china on same units HTC one has fully functioning Car app on display as an added menu item, someone can try?

Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM

Thank you Lynne! I was able to download the specific states I wanted, and it works for the USDM Fit 2015 GK EX 6MT

Like you said you have 7 days of a trial version, and then from there in order to keep the mirrorlink functionality, voice directions, etc The application will force you to buy the paid version, which at the time of this post is $79.99 EUR which is $90.42 USD. This price would include the full US, Canada, and Mexico maps.

I'm going to try it for a few days and see how it operates, work flow, usability, etc. If it meets my satisfaction hell this looks WAY better than the crappy HondaLink, and no special cords other than a USB? Can't beat that!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:59 AM
Hello

I stumbled upon this video, i see that the S6 works pretty good, i would like to see if the S5 works the same, as it is significantly cheaper

Old 06-04-2015, 04:42 PM
I've been reading a bunch about Mirrorlink since the iPhone integration left so much to be desired. I got my hands on a Note 4 yesterday and immediately started playing around. Like Lynne and others, Sygic works perfectly. Parkopedia pops up as an icon but wont open in mirrorlink for some reason, the apps says to upgrade to premium for Mirrorlink but my account is already upgraded. I read on a Civi forum that people were able to get to their Android desktop by starting and exiting Sygic. I tried that a few times and every time I can see my phone mirrored for a few seconds but it pops back to the stock Honda screen. I was even able to operate my music player a couple of times before the mirroring went away. All I want is my phone and car to play nice!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
So I managed to get the safety protection out of the setup for hdmi. Bought a small harness extension here, will be posting soon.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by CN_Fit
So I managed to get the safety protection out of the setup for hdmi. Bought a small harness extension here, will be posting soon.

You mean you were able to fool the HU from blocking the HDMI output while moving and parking brake off??

Old 06-05-2015, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
You mean you were able to fool the HU from blocking the HDMI output while moving and parking brake off??
Yes sir. Though it makes you pissy as you can't use steering commands to switch songs and your phone gets _hot_ since the screen is on all the time. But it works. Here in CN they're selling a harness that plugs between unit and existing wiring and has three wires on that harness soldered together. I'll post some photos soon.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys, sorry I've been inactive for so long. Life gets busy, I'm sure you understand.

I recently picked up my CAN bus project again and I have a giant file full of CAN data I've sniffed off of the bus. It's going to take me a while to reverse engineer what it all means, but I am making progress.

Originally Posted by lilB
The headunit is integrated into the Car with CANBUS, so the only way to "trick" the headunit into unlocking HDMI is by adding an inline device which would parse the input data, then alter it to trick the headunit into thinking the car is parked.

I think this would be technically impractical and expensive to accomplish.
This is EXACTLY what I am trying to accomplish...the hardware required is actually quite inexpensive, although the software is not nearly as simple. All the interfaces are low-speed, so you wouldn't need some killer microprocessor.

Honestly the hardest part is doing what I am doing right now. I can't even guarantee I will be able to make sense of it all. There's something like 52 unique devices (not unique in terms of hardware, but in terms of interfaces) talking to each other on the bus. I can narrow it down pretty easily to interesting data, but I need to write some code that parses it all in real time and shows me what is changing on the bus. Doable, but time-consuming.

I'll try and update with progress. I am genuinely interested in this "device' CN_Fit is talking about. Seems like a decent workaround, but I want my steering wheel controls to work!

-Dan

Quick Reply: Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?