3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Starting Issue 2016 Honda Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 02:41 AM
Angry Starting Issue 2016 Honda Fit

2016 Honda Fit 60,000 miles during the last three months the car randomly doesn't start. Mostly in the morning on the way to work I have no problem starting the car but if I stop to get gas or run in the store it will take several tries to get the car to start. At first it was only short trips but I recently drove the car for around 3 hours stopped at a gas station and then it took about 10 attempts to start the car up again. Each time I would try to start the car all the dashboard lights would come on, radio everything but when pressing the push start the only thing I would here was a single click sometimes nothing at all. Recently I drove the car to pick up some food when I went to restart it same issue, a stranger tried to give me a jump start and the car would not start after maybe 30 minutes of attempts I got an uber home. Came back the next day prepared to have the car towed low and behold it starts on the very first try. I drove it to the mechanic and they tested the alternator, battery, and starter system and said they all tested fine. They recommended I have the push start button replaced. I did that and the problem still persist maybe worse now because after multiple attempts the car will not start at all. My only guess now is that is in fact the starter and maybe the problem was so intermittent the mechanic couldn't replicate it when testing it. I am so fed up with this car the dash board is also glitchy when displaying gas mileage, ive had to replace the battery twice and now this. I bought the car new four years ago thinking it was a reliable car and I didn't anticipate things would start going wrong with it this fast. Help Please!

Old 12-07-2020, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome. On the pushbutton start Fits, I believe the circuit design is inadequate to buffer the load at startup. As a result, both the start switch and the starter are prone to premature failure.

Many times, the starter or the start switch are replaced, only to find the other is the real culprit.

Since you've already had the start switch replaced, my guess is that your starter is now failing.

Good luck, and let us know how it plays out.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:47 PM
AJK
Same issue with my car today. I just had both the starter and the switch recently replaced. It's back at the dealer now after a tow.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:01 PM
I replaced the starter and it has been fine for the past two days. So AJ you replaced starter and push start button and your still having issues with the car?