3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fit not starting after replacing battery and alternator...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 09:19 AM
2015 Fit not starting after replacing battery and alternator...

Hello,

I have a 2015 Honda Fit Ex at 190xxx mi.

A few weeks ago, my car wouldn’t start, the electrical accessories would phase in and out and the starter would just click.

I bought a new battery, and replaced the alternator. I noticed the alternator belt was very tight with no give.

After installing the alternator, the belts squealed every time I applied gas. This went on for two weeks. I took it in but the squeal stopped of its it own accord before I got the shop and didn’t squeal after that.

Then in the course of driving over the last few days, the electrical accessories would flicker or go off then back on.

Now thé car won’t start again.

Question.

What would be the best way to check the electrical system?

Would a loose belt not turn the alternator enough to properly charge the battery?

Are there known issues with electrical on a Fit unrelated to the alternator that could be the problem?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2020, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome. I see two potential issues at play, the start system and the alternator/charging system. Each needs to be evaluated separately.

I believe all the pushbutton start GK5 Fits have an inadequate circuit design to buffer the load at startup. As a result, both the start switch and the starter are prone to premature failure. Search this subforum for details.

Many times, one has been replaced only to find the other is the real culprit. In this circuit design, both are suspect. There has been a recent TSB on replacing the start switch if it fails, even if out of warranty.

Start with the battery. Even though it's a new one, it needs to be load tested and evaluated before anything else, because if it's part of the problem, it can't be overlooked.

If the battery checks out OK, the starter and the start switch need to be checked out, and replaced if necessary. Then you can find out what's going on with the alternator.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a loose terminal on the battery or possible a bad ground to the engine or body?

A loose belt can cause a no charge condition but your battery light would be on when that was occurring in most cases.

To do diagnose it you should do some voltage drop tests. Maybe start at the starter make sure you have a good strong ground and b+

Old 12-15-2020, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Push Start Button.

If everything is good then it's probably your push start button that's the issue. I just had mine replaced recently at the dealer for FREE!!!!! Go to your local dealer and get it fixed immediately.