3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 07:05 AM
Engine Replacement

My 2015 Fit EX needs the engine replaced (they found metal shavings in the oil) so I’m looking to try and sell it. It’s still running well and is cosmetically in good condition as well. Will I be able to sell this? And how much would I be able to get for it. I think the car still has some good life left in it for someone who can put in the work. It has 167k miles but since I had to replace the transmission at 108k miles it only has 60k miles on the transmission. Is it unreasonable to think I could still sell it?

Old 03-10-2023, 09:31 AM
Who is the "they" who found metal shavings in your oil? A trusted mechanic or...
Did they show you? Did they cut open the oil filter? Was it just a bit of shine or chunks?
I don't want to cast aspersions, but it's always worth a second opinion when you hear something like "your engine needs to be replaced," especially if you potentially haven't confirmed the supposed evidence.

So, assuming that the engine is on the way out, you want to get rid of the car instead of dealing with the cost of fixing it. Can you sell it? Sure, why not?

There are plenty of Fit fans in the world, including regular posters on this forum just itching to do an engine swap. Also folks looking for shells to build race cars, etc. Be completely honest about the condition of the car with documentary photos and price accordingly.

You can use online resources like KBB.com to figure out the potential range of expected private seller prices for your car in your area. I would figure out prices based on the cosmetic condition of the car and then subtract the approximate price of a replacement engine and labor costs. Depending on your location you can often find used Fit engines reasonably cheaply, but the labor costs add up quickly. More generally, if you want to get rid of the car quickly (e.g., before the engine might fail) price it at the lowest price acceptable to you. If you have a bit of time, price it a bit higher and solicit best offers.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Drew21
Who is the "they" who found metal shavings in your oil? A trusted mechanic or...
Did they show you? Did they cut open the oil filter? Was it just a bit of shine or chunks?
I don't want to cast aspersions, but it's always worth a second opinion when you hear something like "your engine needs to be replaced," especially if you potentially haven't confirmed the supposed evidence.
I concur.

Old 03-12-2023, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Drew21

So, assuming that the engine is on the way out, you want to get rid of the car instead of dealing with the cost of fixing it. Can you sell it? Sure, why not?

There are plenty of Fit fans in the world, including regular posters on this forum just itching to do an engine swap. Also folks looking for shells to build race cars, etc. Be completely honest about the condition of the car with documentary photos and price accordingly.

You can use online resources like KBB.com to figure out the potential range of expected private seller prices for your car in your area. I would figure out prices based on the cosmetic condition of the car and then subtract the approximate price of a replacement engine and labor costs. Depending on your location you can often find used Fit engines reasonably cheaply, but the labor costs add up quickly. More generally, if you want to get rid of the car quickly (e.g., before the engine might fail) price it at the lowest price acceptable to you. If you have a bit of time, price it a bit higher and solicit best offers.

What he said.

Old 03-22-2023, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChanandlerBong
My 2015 Fit EX needs the engine replaced (they found metal shavings in the oil) so I’m looking to try and sell it. It’s still running well and is cosmetically in good condition as well. Will I be able to sell this? And how much would I be able to get for it. I think the car still has some good life left in it for someone who can put in the work. It has 167k miles but since I had to replace the transmission at 108k miles it only has 60k miles on the transmission. Is it unreasonable to think I could still sell it?
Manual or CVT car, and what color is it?