3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Trunk Hatch Wont Open, No Click

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Trunk Hatch Wont Open, No Click

I am unable to open the trunk hatch of my Fit from the outside.
The handle does not appear or feel stuck. When I lock and unlock the vehicle it does not have the usual audible click I hear when I stand behind the vehicle.
I opened the hatch from the inside and took the interior panel of. Everything looks relatively clean. The hatch cable mechanism seems to work. The locking mechanism seems to move easily, even looks like there is some lubricant in there. I blew some compressed air to blow out anything that I wasnt able to see.
I tried the method of leaning into the handle with no luck.
I have not tried WD40 yet or additional lubricant. May try tomorrow.
Do I need to replace the lock assembly?

UPDATE: WD40 did not solve the problem. Cable still looks and moves good. Locking mechanism seems to move good. I am able to trick my car to think everything is shut to lock everything but when I go to unlock, everything but the hatch unlocks. Now Im thinking of replacing the lock assembly. Shopping around $80-$120. Need to figure out how to disconnect the cable that goes from the hatch handle to the locking mechanism, doesn't seem to nudge off easily on the two location its hooked on to.

Last edited by craycraypixel; 06-02-2023 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-01-2023, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
'16 LX with recently the same problem. Here's what worked with mine.

Locking the hatch again from the key, and unlocking seems to free it up.

With mine, I'm guessing the initial hatch lock doesn't quite engage and the latch is left somewhere between the locked and unlocked state. When it's in this state, there is no click from the hatch lever, just as you experience. To get the click, I have to lock it again.

We'll see if this persists and under what circumstances.