3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Meet The 2015 Honda Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Tommy, what do you make of the car being made in Mexico? Expect any quality control problems? One of the strong reasons why I bought my '08 Fit was that it was manufactured and assembled in Japan. Now, they don't even put that information on he window sticker.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
The one good thing that the VW Mexican factory proved was that a Mexican factory's quality for a corporation can equal the same crappy quality as the rest of the other factories worldwide.

On a serious note, the one good piece of evidence from Honda was how quickly they responded to the issues with the new gen Civic - as soon as the reviews came back negatively (especially CR), they responded. They know how vital to their overall operations the American market is, so they really can't afford for the Mexican plant not to succeed. Though it's entirely possible that there could be some initial problems. I'm hoping that the lemon I bought in 01 will hold up long enough for me to see how the first batch goes.

I do know that our quality control for our Mexican operation is on par with our Asian output, so there's no reason to think that it should work out fine. We'll find out in July/August, I'd imagine.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
^^Honda's response to issues with the Civic had a lot to do with the fact that they dropped the ball with that car in the USDM because of appalling styling choices and plain (boring) product. They took a beating long enough and started paying attention. That's why they did (I think) two re-styles in one model year on the car.

i'm worried about any Japanese car that is not made in Japan. I don't want a Canadian car, or an American car, or a Mexican car. I want a Honda. A good old Japanese Honda. If Honda's shift to countries with cheaper labor works out for them the way it worked out for everyone else, it will be the end of Honda as we know (and love) it.

Of couse, I dearly hope that I am wrong about this.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Even the prior two gens of Fits had a fair amount of non-Japanese-source produced/assembled parts on them, I'm sure.

Globalization is going to get increasingly intertwined, so you're just going to have to get used to it. Think about it this way - there's a very high likelihood that whomever assembled/wired/tested your cellphone had much less experience (and probably a much lower average age) than the average Mexican auto worker would, and your cellphone works fine, no?

Once China really gets fully up to speed, the Japanese will become middlemen like we here in the US and Canada have. As usually seems to be the answer, follow the money.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Quite right. We are stuck with globalization.

Just the same, I look for cars that are still made and assembled in Japan. FR-S/BRZ is such a car. Not in the same category as the Fit, but I'm not just interested in sub-compacts.

As for my cell phone: Yeah, it works. But lots of other things out of China I would not buy.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marrk
^^Honda's response to issues with the Civic had a lot to do with the fact that they dropped the ball with that car in the USDM because of appalling styling choices and plain (boring) product. They took a beating long enough and started paying attention. That's why they did (I think) two re-styles in one model year on the car.

i'm worried about any Japanese car that is not made in Japan. I don't want a Canadian car, or an American car, or a Mexican car. I want a Honda. A good old Japanese Honda. If Honda's shift to countries with cheaper labor works out for them the way it worked out for everyone else, it will be the end of Honda as we know (and love) it.

Of couse, I dearly hope that I am wrong about this.
Mark, you're living in the past. Things change and no matter where it's made (China?) it's still a Honda! Most Honda's and Acura's are locally sourced and assembled. The new Honda Celaya Mexico plant is a world class facility that will produce world class vehicles. Honda has been making vehicles in Mexico for many years now (Accord, CR-V). I have no doubt in my mind that the all-new 2015 Fit will be the best of Honda. They have a lot riding on the new Fit as well!

By the way, some of the horror stories you hear about VW Mexico has nothing to do with Mexico or the Mexican workers, it's all VW. They have tons of issues with there vehicles assembled in Germany. Just because it's made in Germany doesn't make it superior to being made anywhere else.

I would say the only country I'd have a problem with is China. I would not want my vehicle to originate from there. I've heard of a few rust issues from some people in Canada who bought Chinese made Fit's. Heck, look at the new Bay Bridge in the San Francisco Bay Area. After the most recent rains there's been leaking, rusting and already some corrosion. Most of the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge was shipped in sections from where else? China.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Fitfreaks is the best! I joined in 2011, but it seemed all the postings were years old, and I went away. Now it rocks.

I regard my 2011 Sport MT as a sports car, and have done a few things to it like removing the rear seats to save 70 pounds, the modifications I paid for complicating the decision whether to trade it for the upcoming 2015 model.

I had 17" x6" Kosei Racing wheels left over from an '04 Civic with 215x45 Kumho SPT tires that I mounted on my Fit. The front tires scraped going through dips at speed, but that seems to be cured with my replacement 215x40 Kumhos that better match the speedometer. The Kosei wheels cause the track to be a bit wider. The wheels are not a problem because I would consider buying the 2015 Sports model and switching wheels (also speakers, amp, and leather shift knob). I sold my 2011 Fit wheels and tires for $550! Recently I had the Kosei wheels powder coated glossy black with black wheel nuts and tire caps with only the center Kosei logo non-black; the car looks so good.

If I switch, I'd have to eat the cost of the other things I did to my 2011 including a 7-year/100k Honda warranty, Hertz speakers and a Kicker amp in the spare wheel (that I could transfer), rear distance warning, better horns, Exotic chrome dash kit, red and black vinyl front seat covers, sport exhaust muffler, windshield banner, K&N air filter.

The changes to the new model seem positive to me. I drive mine pretty fast through the curves on our local two lane mountain roads, and could swear the rear feels light like it's ready to let go, even with the front weight bias. I read the suspension is improved on the 2015.

I'd love to hear some comments on my question whether to change to the 2015. It will boil down to whether the extra cost is worth it, since I am very happy with my 2011. After listing all the extras I've done to my 2011, I'm inclined to keep it.

Last edited by andysd; 03-05-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
I love my '07 Base MT. However, if the '15 has an attractive curb weight, I might trade up.

I like your back seat delete. I may do that, too.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Marrk
I love my '07 Base MT. However, if the '15 has an attractive curb weight, I might trade up.

I like your back seat delete. I may do that, too.
Marrk, the weight went up a bit with the '09, and now it's going down with the '15 so there won't be much difference compared to yours. Not enough difference, I would think, to justify a trade.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andysd
Marrk, the weight went up a bit with the '09, and now it's going down with the '15 so there won't be much difference compared to yours. Not enough difference, I would think, to justify a trade.

If the '15 is 130 hp and 2500 lbs, then I'm definitely interested.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
I'm happy that I bought a GD-3 in 2006.. I do like the idea of direct injection and the increase in power and torque it affords the new model. Having owned a few VWs that were made in Mexico and knowing how much pride Mexican people have about doing good work, I'd say that this should be a nice car to own as far as the quality of build.. If there is a problem with carbon buildup on the injectors that injection cleaner can't handle a basic water/methanol injection system can be installed to handle it and improve mileage and performance.. I'm having a little ethanol in the form of Bourbon with a little water right now and my system is doing well thank you.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I'm happy that I bought a GD-3 in 2006.. I do like the idea of direct injection and the increase in power and torque it affords the new model. Having owned a few VWs that were made in Mexico and knowing how much pride Mexican people have about doing good work, I'd say that this should be a nice car to own as far as the quality of build.. If there is a problem with carbon buildup on the injectors that injection cleaner can't handle a basic water/methanol injection system can be installed to handle it and improve mileage and performance.. I'm having a little ethanol in the form of Bourbon with a little water right now and my system is doing well thank you.
yeah but check your injector.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I forgot about the direct injection. Everybody is using this technology, and nobody can make it work (without the carbon build-up side effect). How is this a good thing for us?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
I think the new Fit is fugly. Definitely like the JDM version better. All the new interior tech is un impressive to me; I'd rather pay 2-3k less and not have touch screen this and that. I just want a car with 3 pedals and a steering wheel backup cam is pretty neat though.

Leather, heated seats (heated mirrors?) are all fantastic features to have in an economy car. The updated engine and 6 speed manual must be great too. Finally found a way to get those revs down on the highway! 6th gear.

I'm with Texas Coyote, glad I got my GD3. It's the perfect balance between style and the absence of redundant touchscreen technology id like to see a hidden dash cam become standard!

Old 03-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian
I think the new Fit is fugly. Definitely like the JDM version better. All the new interior tech is un impressive to me; I'd rather pay 2-3k less and not have touch screen this and that. I just want a car with 3 pedals and a steering wheel backup cam is pretty neat though.

Leather, heated seats (heated mirrors?) are all fantastic features to have in an economy car. The updated engine and 6 speed manual must be great too. Finally found a way to get those revs down on the highway! 6th gear.

I'm with Texas Coyote, glad I got my GD3. It's the perfect balance between style and the absence of redundant touchscreen technology id like to see a hidden dash cam become standard!
Had the 2011 Model. Liked it, with the exception of the black interior, which was substandard all around, not to mention the black carpet that kept on rubbing off on my white sneakers, but took it for the fun/gas saving features.

Now that the 2015 is coming out, I am going to purchase it for the better interior layout, the leather seats, back up camera, higher power/torq, and added leg room for the rear passengers. Add to that the moonroof but that is just a given for the EX and above I bet, not something I really need. As for your fugly remark, I think the 2015 is way better looking than the 2007/2013 version, but we all have different tastes.

Keyless start and entry is another very good plus...

The HondaLink will not cost that much, specially over the standard inclosed NAV system that cost about $1,500 on my 2011 model. CarPlay would be better for me, and hope one is offered, but I kind of doubt it at this time.

Last edited by SR45; 03-09-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
Had the 2011 Model. Liked it, with the exception of the black interior, which was substandard all around, not to mention the black carpet that kept on rubbing off on my what sneakers, but took it for the fun/gas saving features.

Now that the 2015 is coming out, I am going to purchase it for the better interior layout, the leather seats, back up camera, higher power/torq, and added leg room for the rear passengers. Add to that the moonroof but that is just a given for the EX and above I bet, not something I really need. As for your fugly remark, I think the 2015 is way better looking than the 2007/2013 version, but we all have different tastes.

Keyless start and entry is another very good plus...

The HondaLink will not cost that much, specially over the standard inclosed NAV system that cost about $1,500 on my 2011 model. CarPlay would be better for me, and hope one is offered, but I kind of doubt it at this time.
To each his own! With some tasteful modding, I'm sure it could look cooler. I'd probably do the Home Depot lip to try and take some dorkyness out of the front. I wonder if the in dash system can be programmed to show pending codes and different ECU readings, like fuel air ratio, battery voltage etc. Imagine including a diagnostics software within the system! Could have some local mechanics moaning and groaning if the average joe can get advanced readings right from the dash! I suppose there will finally be a climate control option.

I just feel like most tech companies put in cars is just a bunch of iPod and hands free phone stuff, which is really meh. How about a "hill holder" function for the manual trans? I feel like so many tech things are very non driving related. Even nav systems. After market ones are so cheap now and you can place the screen in more desirable locations... </endrant>

Old 03-08-2014, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Mexico manufacturing , as well as China manufacturing is ONLY as good as the information given to them (by their customer--HONDA) and the quality system to ensure these directions are followed. Each and every department WILL have Honda techs from Japan in place and it will be made correctly or it will not be made. This includes incoming product from other sub-suppliers and Honda quality will be in place at these facilities as well. Rest assured, Japan has many people in the Celaya, MX. plant and they will continue there as long as production continues. I feel very comfortable with the fit being manufactured in Mexico, as Honda has detailed directions for their plant/s and stiff regulations to ensure everything is followed to the "T". There may be early small problems, but I would bet the problems get resolved before the North America production is released. Problems happen at all new rollouts, whether it be Toyota, Honda or any quality automaker. You cannot use VW as a comparison, as their level of quality has never attained a sustainable level. I will be one of the first in line for a 2015 Fit, replacing my 2011. Anyone still not trusting can acquire a 2013 Fit from Japan.

Last edited by yuwan63755; 03-08-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
The new features and specs definitely have me tempted to trade in my 07. But then I look at the simplistic design and function, then come to a realization that my GD does just fine for me. I'll probably end up with a new model in the next 3 years, but will wait till they work out the bugs. Hope Mexico works out well for them.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 PM
Hmmm, so does the JDM and USDM share the same body now? Can't really tell. I mean the bumpers are different sure, but other than that it looks the same. But then sometimes the JDM looks a little shorter. Maybe it's the bumpers but, I dunno.