3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Review with first real world fuel economy comments

Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Review with first real world fuel economy comments

2015 Honda Fit: Quick Gas Mileage Drive Of All-New Hatchback

This reviewer has had the chance to do some fuel economy testing. And it looks good!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Honda says its base 2015 Fit LX with the CVT will be EPA-rated at 36 mpg combined (33 mpg city, 41 mpg highway). The mid-level Fit EX model, however, which is 86 pounds heavier, receives a rating of 35 mpg combined (32 mpg city, 38 mpg highway) with the CVT.
Wow, 86 pounds means that much?

I need to go on a diet!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:54 PM
^^ Discussed in another thread, but the LX is probably running low rolling resistance tires for that extra mpg.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by weave
Wow, 86 pounds means that much?

I need to go on a diet!
No, 86 pounds would not make that much difference in fuel economy. Particularly in hwy fuel economy. Which is driven more by aerodynamics.

So the real question is, What are the secrets to the LX fuel economy numbers? It appears that honda did not show any LX versions at the press even last week. We have heard about extra aero bits that will be on the LX, that are not On the EX.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:07 PM
What are the numbers for the LX and EX M/T? If they are the same or very close I am willing to bet there is some transmission logic magic going on in the CVT between the models + LRR tires. I agree the weight is not enough to make that big of a difference. Some, yes, but not enough to lose 4mpg on the highway.

Shift logic was a culprit in the Base vs Sport GE fuel economy numbers. Though the CVT doesn't "shift" quite the same maybe there is a difference. CVT is magic to me sadly I don't know much about it.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TCroly
............it looks good!
Great job posting the link!
Reviewer got a max. of 44.7 MPG which included "trips included at least some high-speed highway miles as well as 30- to 50-mph country roads and urban stop-and-go."
Seeing that this was possible over the EPA's 41 MPG highway for the CVT, wonder what their results will be once they test out the LX manual. Rated EPA at 37 MPG, they could possibly hit 42 MPG. Even better, once an FF gets his hands on one, it could hit that magic # - 55 MPG.
News, specs continue to flow in resulting in, countless comments, premature conclusions, words of doom, words of praise..............the list goes on.
Keep 'em coming boys. Just remember, until you drive one yourself, you really don't know!

Old 04-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Gas mileage is good overall. But my pet peeve is the Nav system (HondaLink) One cannot get the Nav map one likes and are stuck with Nokia's HERE.

Reviews of the HERE map...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id737070895?mt=8

Last edited by SR45; 04-10-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by TCroly
No, 86 pounds would not make that much difference in fuel economy. Particularly in hwy fuel economy. Which is driven more by aerodynamics.

So the real question is, What are the secrets to the LX fuel economy numbers? It appears that honda did not show any LX versions at the press even last week. We have heard about extra aero bits that will be on the LX, that are not On the EX.
I read somewhere (maybe even here) that the LX has some underbody panels to smooth out the airflow.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:49 PM
I read in one of the review (forgot which, sorry) that the LX sacrifices some sound insulation in order to get the aero underbody thing. I dont' remember the exact wording but that's my impression. Yet, Jason (accordguyintake) said that both LX and EX has underbody coverings. Perhaps they are different types - LX optimized for aerodynamics and EX optimized for sound proofing?

I am tempted to buy the new Fit but not sure which model. The only thing that attracts me to the EX is the LaneWatch feature. Everything else I can live without and a few things I actually do not like - such as the lack of volumn knob on the radio. Imagine looking at the screen and try to press the tiny "+" or "-" sign repeatedly while driving on high ways, or if the road surface is very rough. Perhaps we have to rely on the buttons on the steering wheels instead, but I just don't like to push a button repeatedly. It's tiring and distracting. Turning knobs work so much more efficient. Sometimes the old way is much better.

The other thing I don't like about the new Fit is the color selections. I much prefer last year's blue/green color, or my current golden orange color. My SO told me I can always paint the whole car over w/ whatever color I like for 500 bucks. I think that's too cheap, but if money is not a concern, is it a good idea to paint over the factory color?

Old 04-12-2014, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest

The other thing I don't like about the new Fit is the color selections. I much prefer last year's blue/green color, or my current golden orange color. My SO told me I can always paint the whole car over w/ whatever color I like for 500 bucks. I think that's too cheap, but if money is not a concern, is it a good idea to paint over the factory color?
Repainting a new car and changing the color will cost $3000-$5000 for a level of quality to match a mass produced factory paint job. So if money is no object, go for it. a high level custom paint job with a show car level finish will cost you $5000 and up, way up for a really good job.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
Gas mileage is good overall. But my pet peeve is the Nav system (HondaLink) One cannot get the Nav map one likes and are stuck with Nokia's HERE.

Reviews of the HERE map...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id737070895?mt=8

Thanks for the link. Guess I will stick with my Garmin if I pick up a '15 Fit.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by fibrepunk
Thanks for the link. Guess I will stick with my Garmin if I pick up a '15 Fit.
And then there is CarPlay coming out to Honda's later this year. Unfortunately, we won't get it with this year's model. Perhaps Honda will offer it next year or the year after that to the Fit.

Volume knob for the radio is so much better, and I have read issues or lag on the hondalink screen to turn the volume up or down, so that is another reason to spend the extra $1,000 for me on the in-dash Nav system. I have one now on my Civic, and it works just fine. All the other stuff with hondalink, I personally do not need.

Using one's iPhone connected to the screen via HDMI uses a good deal of battery life, and if I'm not misinformed, the iPhone battery does not have a great long battery life, and using it on the HondaLink, may eat up some of that time requiring use to get another battery sooner. Just a guess.

Gas mileage is better than my Civic or past Fits, so that is a plus, and its optimized for sound proofing a little with the EX/EX-L level, even though i'll be loosing about 3 mpg over the LX. Guess its just a matter of finance or tastes for each buyer. I ordered mine today, now the wait.

Last edited by SR45; 04-12-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by SR45
And then there is CarPlay coming out to Honda's later this year. Unfortunately, we won't get it with this year's model. Perhaps Honda will offer it next year or the year after that to the Fit.

Volume knob for the radio is so much better, and I have read issues or lag on the hondalink screen to turn the volume up or down, so that is another reason to spend the extra $1,000 for me on the in-dash Nav system. I have one now on my Civic, and it works just fine. All the other stuff with hondalink, I personally do not need.

Using one's iPhone connected to the screen via HDMI uses a good deal of battery life, and if I'm not misinformed, the iPhone battery does not have a great long battery life, and using it on the HondaLink, may eat up some of that time requiring use to get another battery sooner. Just a guess.

Gas mileage is better than my Civic or past Fits, so that is a plus, and its optimized for sound proofing a little with the EX/EX-L level, even though i'll be loosing about 3 mpg over the LX. Guess its just a matter of finance or tastes for each buyer. I ordered mine today, now the wait.
It's to my understanding, apps can be added the following years updates. Since its flash memory based. Funny that the 12-13 is also flash memory based. Too bad Honda wont update these. These features are probably not compatible with the 12-13 deck.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
It's to my understanding, apps can be added the following years updates. Since its flash memory based. Funny that the 12-13 is also flash memory based. Too bad Honda wont update these. These features are probably not compatible with the 12-13 deck.
True they can be updated, but it has to meet Honda's standards as I read on another site. Which is a good idea, but "When" ? and "If". Hate to be one holding a 2015 Fit and Honda decides it won't be offered until 2016. Just a wild guess