3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Infotainment Compatible with Androids?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 AM
Infotainment Compatible with Androids?

Are the infotainment features of the 2015 Fit compatible with androids too?

I'm hoping I could plug in my Galaxy S2 into the usb port, and be able to play media from it. Is that how it would work?

And will the navigation app be available and functional for androids?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Not yet compatible. Later rumored, but still no word as to when

Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
I believe anything that uses Bluetooth will be compatible using the standard Bluetooth 4.0 interface. I THINK USB is for HondaLink/MirrorLink only and for charging. But any new smartphone nowadays uses Bluetooth and is wires free!

Anything that uses HondaLink will not be compatible, which I'm sure includes the MirrorLink, the "Apps", Siri (obviously), Pandora direct etc.

I am sure that HondaLink will accept Android with a simple software update, and I'm crossing my fingers for MirrorLink Android compatibility also (so you can see your text messages and screen/use any app on your car screen).

EDIT:
I found this in the manual

Playing a USB Flash Drive
Your audio system reads and plays sound files on a USB flash drive in either MP3, WMA or AAC*1 format.
Connect your USB flash drive to the USB port, then select the USB mode.

I assume if your smart phone acts like a USB drive when it's plugged into things than it will. Usually on Android when you plug it into a computer you can switch the device mode to "USB device" or "Sync Mode" or something like that. I think you would be able to play like this. Technically speaking. Application, No idea.

Last edited by Emirii; 05-21-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Emirii
I assume if your smart phone acts like a USB drive when it's plugged into things than it will. Usually on Android when you plug it into a computer you can switch the device mode to "USB device" or "Sync Mode" or something like that. I think you would be able to play like this. Technically speaking. Application, No idea.
One issue with this is that some Android phones won't work as phones when they are in Mass Storage Device mode.

Integrating hand-held devices into the car's electronics is still in its infancy, and it might not be wise to put a lot of effort into adapting long-lived car technology to short-lived smartphone technology. Any such attempt will result in a compromise result at best.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway... Can I assume that my iPod touch will work much the same as an iPhone in the car? Obviously, I know it won't be able to receive data and such since it won't be connected to the net, but other than that?

Old 06-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Blade Shunner
Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway... Can I assume that my iPod touch will work much the same as an iPhone in the car? Obviously, I know it won't be able to receive data and such since it won't be connected to the net, but other than that?
Yes, I believe it will work.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
Yes, I believe it will work.

Thanks, I hope so. I really don't see why it wouldn't, but you never know.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:33 PM
I second the fact that the iPod touch will work. I will try one and an iPhone as soon as I take delivery.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Andrew Briscoe
I second the fact that the iPod touch will work. I will try one and an iPhone as soon as I take delivery.
Sorry I can't help you guys with that. I'm a BlackBerry user, and we don't cotton to them apple products .

Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cmchan

I'm hoping I could plug in my Galaxy S2 into the usb port, and be able to play media from it. Is that how it would work?

I've heard that eventually it'll become compatible with hemorrhoids.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by cmchan

Check this post with videos. In the second video they appear to be using a Samsung Galaxy to connect to the infotainment system and they are able to mirror the phone to the screen. I don't know how much more functionality they were able to get than mirroring.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...eo-dealer.html